PDA

View Full Version : Neosporin safe?

MsOakley
01-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Hi,
Jo Jo, my 6 month old grey squirrel, has some odd sores on his tail. I've been cleaning with weak betadine. Tried a bit of triple antibiotic ointment tonight, then had 2nd thoughts about him licking it off. Is this harmful to squirrels? Thanks in advance.

Alaskan Squirrel Cam
01-27-2007, 12:24 AM
I can't answer that, I'll leave it up to one of the rehabbers who have more experience than I do with such matters. Still, I wish you luck.

island rehabber
01-27-2007, 06:54 AM
msokley,
i was told that Neosporin is safe and have used it on a squirrel successfully.
i also use it on my cat and they lick everything off, so it must be fairly safe. However, are you sure the sores on your squirrel's tail are not some type of mange or mites? Do you see any tiny red spots on his skin? The treatment for external parasites would be different and antibiotic ointment won't help.

Preacher
01-27-2007, 08:21 AM
I've used it several times on BH with no problems...unless its a really raw place, then you have to really play momma & blow on it so it won't burn!:D

TexanSquirrel
01-27-2007, 05:10 PM
I think some pictures are in order.

MsOakley
01-27-2007, 07:20 PM
The reason I didn't elaborate on the "wound" is that he's really hard to handle long enough for a close inspection. It's a hard lump that's warm to the touch, his tail is limp(won't curl) and some hair loss. I'm a volunteer for the local wildlife rescue group, 3rd year and loving it, so I called our squirrel coordinator today. She wants the director to look at him. I've got a call in to her and hopefully can get him in tomorrow. I've stopped treating him and have him inside in a rabbit hutch to recuperate in peace. I did bring one of the girls in to keep him company. She ain't happy :-)
The other 3 are in the release cage, waiting for the big day (which is coming soon), and wondering what became of Jo and Layla. A secret elopement perhaps?? Anyway, thanks for your replies. I'm hoping to visit the board more regularly.

squirrelfriend
01-27-2007, 10:11 PM
I have used Neosporin on Squeetie with no problems. It is on a broken tail as well. It sounds like yours has a broken tail with possibly an absess on it. that is what mine had. still has to a certain extent. not as bad as it was though.

squirrelfriend
01-27-2007, 10:12 PM
sorry, Polysporin. not neosporin.

MsOakley
02-02-2007, 10:07 PM
What's the difference between polysporin and neosporin? The director thinks it's a fracture. She gave him some homeopathic treatments (arnica and one I can't recall). This was 5 days ago and no improvement. In fact another sore has cropped up. I'm thinking it's something else in addition to the fracture. She says to stop any other treatment, keep him quiet and call if doesn't heal. Think I'll talk to her on Sunday about worsening symptoms. My poor baby. I lost 2 this year to untimely deaths and I sure want to help this guy.

Gabe
02-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Neomycin and polymyxin are effective in killing gram-negative bacteria, while bacitracin targets gram-positive bacteria; hence, this 'triple antibiotic' ointment covers for a wide range of bacteria which may infect wounds.

However, these antibiotics are generally only used topically, because they are known for causing serious side effects (such as nephrotoxicity) when used parenterally. Even when used topically, the antibiotic ointment may cause side effects; in particular, neomycin is well-known for causing allergic reactions such as allergic contact dermatitis.

This is from ;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neosporin hope this clears it up. He could be having a reaction to the ointment.

Mars
02-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm thinking you have an absess on the tail. If so it needs to be drianed. The other thought is a bot fly lava. But I'm betting absess.

Hope this helps.