PDA

View Full Version : Rockie has the sniffles..?

Vivinus
01-26-2007, 01:59 AM
I've noticed for the last few days that Rockie's been sneezing a lot, or making some sneeze-like sound. I contemplated maybe it being one of her high-pitch squesks that I couldn't fully hear, but it sounds more like a sudden expelling of breath (you know, like a sneeze) than a squeak. The last week or so I noticed her being more reluctant to play than usual, maybe she's just feeling under the weather?

Just today was our first decently long play session in a while, and I noticed that she would stop to sneeze every few minutes, then start cleaning herself.

It is winter, and been cold, not to mention the windows in my room aren't the greatest at keeping the cold air out, so it's pretty cool in the room at night (which could also explain why she doesn't come out from her nice warm cotton bed much?)

Well anyway, before taking her to a vet, I thought I'd get some opinions from the know-it-alls (compliment, not an insult!) as to if flying squirrels are apt to get colds, if it's highly dangerous to their health, or if her sneezing could be a result of something in her room. I'll do my best to answer any questions about her, the room, etc. if it will help.

island rehabber
01-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Well anyway, before taking her to a vet, I thought I'd get some opinions from the know-it-alls (compliment, not an insult!) as to if flying squirrels are apt to get colds, if it's highly dangerous to their health, or if her sneezing could be a result of something in her room. I'll do my best to answer any questions about her, the room, etc. if it will help.

Squirrels can get colds just like we can, but you want to be careful that it doesn't become a respiratory infection. Can you hold her up to your ear and listen to her chest (please don't if you think she'll do a Van Gogh on you :D)? That would tell you if there is congestion, rattling, wheezing, etc. I know that grey squrrels do that snorty thing all the time, even in their sleep. I'm not sure if it's normal for flyers because I've never had one. If you hear anything in her chest, or if her sneezing gets worse, she may need a mild antibiotic to prevent pneumonia. Otherwise keep her warm if you can -- like a heating pad under part of her cage, maybe, since her room is cold -- and just keep an eye on her.

TexanSquirrel
01-26-2007, 04:29 PM
I had a guinea pig that had allergies once. Maybe that's it?

Mars
01-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Have you changed anything lately such as bedding, soap, new candles? They have very sensitive noses. :D

atlantasquirrelgirl
01-26-2007, 10:18 PM
One other thing to watch for, does he have good knawing stuff to keep his teeth worn down. Make sure his bottom tooth isn't growing long enough to puncture the sinus cavity.

Vivinus
01-27-2007, 01:48 PM
She has plenty of chewing toys and her teeth look rather trim. The only thing in her environment I've changed, that I can think of, is throwing some cotton bedding into her bedding area. I can't remember if she was sneezing before or after I put the cotton in, I would hate to take it away since she loves it so much, and she spent so much time decorating with it!

Instead of putting her up to my ear, would it be better, or easier, to use my stethoscope to listen to her lungs? I could warm it up before putting it to her, and would give me a much much clearer sound, but the scope might be too big compared to her body to get an accurate analysis?

Mars
01-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Do your best. Let's make sure there is no clicking in her lungs. IS her nose wet? Is there a discharge?

What kind of cotton are you using for bedding? Is it at all dusty? Is it 100% cotton?

I know, I know more questions :D

island rehabber
01-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Glad you have a stethoscope -- I never assume anyone does. :D Yes, I would certainly try listening to her chest with it. Is her sneezing getting worse, better, or the same?

Vivinus
01-28-2007, 01:31 AM
I keep a stethoscope handy just in case my squirrel has the sniffles, doesn't everyone? :dono I kid, I kid, I need it for my job.

I haven't noticed her sneeze at all in the last 2 days, but I suspect it's probably she has done it when I wasn't around or paying attention.

The cotton is not dusty, and I am not sure if it is 100% to be honest. I bought a little cardboard tube that came packed with cotton, it was advertised as "fluff bedding" but I read the make-up of it to be cotton.. Did not specify any percentage.

I just tried getting a listen to her lungs (Have you ever tried having a flying squirrel sit still long enough to let you put something up against it?). The only thing I was able to hear was the fast beat of her heart, and the scope fits up against half of her body, so I assume I should have been able to hear any wheezing/rattling or any other pulmonary sounds there shouldn't be.

So far I'm thinking allergies, or just a dirty home (she drags a lot of things into there and I feel bad cleaning it out so often!)

p.s.
I think I just heard her sneeze again :thinking

Mars
01-28-2007, 02:11 AM
Hopefully it's just dust. I wouldn't be to concerned now unless it becames more frequent. If you think it corresponds to the new bedding you may need to change it out to be sure. If anything else seems to be wrong - change in appetite or stool or skin coloring (you get the idea) give a shout. I'll keep an eye out for your posts. Or pm me if you need me.

Vivinus
01-30-2007, 02:48 AM
She has little wood trets I buy from the pet store for her to chew on, and she likes to bring them into her little home to chew on at night. When I broke into her house to take the new bedding out, I saw a heavily chewed on piece with a ton of aftermath littering her bed. I'm hoping the "sawdust" was giving her something to sneeze about (but does it explain why should would sneeze when at different parts of the room?).

I ordered a FSL from amazon, I'm hoping the light therapy will help perk her up and make her immune system all the more stronger. I'm also thinking of getting a new treat for her to chew on (I have some natural bones I also found at the pet store, that she doesnt like as much because they are harder to destroy), I'll probably make them her new primary chewtoy since the calcium is good for her and don't produce the amount of dust.

Hopefully my last question for the topic. Her nose tonight felt cold. Her underbelly is normally hot when she lays in my hand. Her nose wasn't lukewarm, or cool, it felt cold, like the kind of cold where you mistake it as being wet at first. I cupped my hands around her and stroked her forehead for a bit and when I checked a minute later her nose wasn't cold anymore.

Does anyone know if a flyer's nose is supposed to be wet, dry, cold, warm, or what?

Vivinus
02-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Thank you everyone for the help. I've been keeping the blinds fully open during the day to get as much sunlight in her room as possible, and closing them fully to help keep some cold air from getting in. I've also been keeping the heat on during the night. I haven't heard any sneezing from her the last couple of days, though she could be doing it here and there for all I know. She's been playing with me a lot more as well, and her core temperature seems to be higher now. I think it was either dust from the wood chewtoy she had, or the cold spike we had out here.