PDA

View Full Version : Baby raccoons with diarrhea

smwalls
05-20-2012, 08:39 PM
I got them when their eyes were still closed, have had them for 4 weeks now. They have been eating great, feeding them Esbilac 4-5 feedings a day, no problems. Recently, I have been giving them some human babyfood and soft cat food to try to wean them... I have also wormed them 2 times with pryantel wormer. They were doing okay at first with this . Well, one of them now has horrible diarrhea.. it started out real pasty, now its just like water :-( So, starting today I have been giving subQ fluids, about 40cc at each feeding, since he is not wanting to eat(which also comes and goes in the last couple days) I also gave them both 1cc of pepto bismol. Am I doing all I can? What could be wrong? I am a dog groomer out of a vets office, and can get meds, should I put them on antibiotics, worm them again, do a fecal? Please any help is much appreciated, these little guys have been doing so good, I dont want to lose them now.
BTW, someone cut down a tree and there were 4 babies in it, they brought them to our vet clinic...that how we got them...
Are there any rehabers near Louisville, Ky?
Thanks!

Nancy in New York
05-20-2012, 08:47 PM
I got them when their eyes were still closed, have had them for 4 weeks now. They have been eating great, feeding them Esbilac 4-5 feedings a day, no problems. Recently, I have been giving them some human babyfood and soft cat food to try to wean them... I have also wormed them 2 times with pryantel wormer. They were doing okay at first with this . Well, one of them now has horrible diarrhea.. it started out real pasty, now its just like water :-( So, starting today I have been giving subQ fluids, about 40cc at each feeding, since he is not wanting to eat(which also comes and goes in the last couple days) I also gave them both 1cc of pepto bismol. Am I doing all I can? What could be wrong? I am a dog groomer out of a vets office, and can get meds, should I put them on antibiotics, worm them again, do a fecal? Please any help is much appreciated, these little guys have been doing so good, I dont want to lose them now.
BTW, someone cut down a tree and there were 4 babies in it, they brought them to our vet clinic...that how we got them...
Are there any rehabers near Louisville, Ky?
Thanks!

Send me an email so that I have your email address...I may have a contact for you.

Nancy in New York
05-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Just so members don't get bombarded with pm's. I sent out an SOS to Nature's Gift and to LynnIn for the squirrels, hoping that she will know of someone.

Nancy in New York
05-20-2012, 09:14 PM
I think what happens here is that members come on and forget to refresh their screens when help is here waiting....:dono :shakehead

smwalls
05-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Hi.Nancy.. I sent you an email...sorry i didnt repy sooner

NaturesGift
05-20-2012, 09:40 PM
how old are they? how much do they weigh and how much are you feeding them?

smwalls
05-20-2012, 09:48 PM
I am guessing 7-8 wks old...they are very active now, still clumsy. They weigh abou 1.2 lbs and eat about 40-45 cc's per feeding sometimes more 4x's a day. Plus I offer the baby food, and kitten food.

NaturesGift
05-20-2012, 09:59 PM
so they weigh about 544 grams?

can you post some pics for me? That seems smallish for their age. ..... but with that weight 7% is 38ccs ..4 times a day is right.

What kind of formula are you feeding?

Nancy in New York
05-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I didn't get the email. Can you resend?
I have to feed one more now but will be back in about 20 minutes.:thumbsup

smwalls
05-20-2012, 10:06 PM
I dont have a scale to weigh them in grams..sorry... I have some pics but not sure how to upload them on here..I could text them or email them to you...

smwalls
05-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I resent the email..

NaturesGift
05-20-2012, 10:10 PM
feel free to txt them to me. 417 * 741 * 2353

yeah 1.2 pounds is 544 grams. :thumbsup

How old were they when you got them?

NaturesGift
05-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Ok well I have to go to my rehab building and feed then off to bed! but feel free to txt me at the above number :)

smwalls
05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
I sent them to you.. you can text me on my phone with any ideas to stop the diarrhea..
Thanks!

Nancy in New York
05-20-2012, 10:28 PM
I am going to see tomorrow if admin. can grant you full priv. so that I can pm you. I didn't get the email....the problem is probably on my end. Sorry.
We will touch base tomorrow.:grouphug

DipityDane
05-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Sorry im coming upon this thread a little late....but you are less than an hour and a half away from one of the most outstanding raccoon rehabilators AND facilities in the U.S. Karen Bailey is at the Kentucky Wildlife Center in Georgetown and I am sure could help with these kits. Below is the link to her site which has all the info you will need to cobtact her.
http://www.kywildlife.org/