PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Montreal region

Marbel
05-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi!

Introducing myself here. Found 2 baby squirrels a couple of days ago. It appears they fell out of the nest and were found dangling from branches, squeaking and squeaking pathetically. DH came to their rescue. They were quite high up. Thank goodness they didn't fall all the way. DH got the babies and then climbed all the way to the nest to look for more. There were no others and no sign of mom. We think the mom was killed, as we found a dead squirrel on the road very nearby the tree a couple of days before we found the babies. I can't stand the thought that those babies were so desperate they crawled out of the nest looking for mom. *must not think about it!*

We brought the babies home, warmed them up and rehydrated orally with Pedialyte. They are doing okay. They were cold and exhausted the first day. I'm guessing they are 4-6 weeks old. They both have fur. They are very wobbly. They sleep all the time. One has her eyes open and is a bit more active than her sister. The sister has her eyes shut. I could swear I have seen them open, but mostly they are shut. The 2nd one is smaller and weaker than the first one. They are peeing well (with stimulation) and pooping. Poops are light brown/yellowish and formed. Urine is very pale. #1 eats with gusto and takes 5 cc before turning away. #2 takes 3 cc or so. Fingers crossed for #2. They are eating kitten formula for now, as it was all I could get on short notice at the vet on Tues evening. FV is on it's way and they will be eating that by Monday. I'm also looking at making HHBs.

I live in the Montreal region (west) and am a former vet tech. Never dealt with squirrels though. :) This board has been such a big help!!!

jo_schmoe
05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Welcome Marbel! :Welcome
Nice save...both you and the hubby!!
You will find your self a comfortable home here....ask any questions you like but the only thing we ask from you.....is a BOATLOAD of pics of your babies. :thumbsup

Also...good to hear you have ordered the FV. I can almost bet that when they start the FV....you will see much improvement in #2.
For future reference....an easily made goats milk formula is much better than any kitten or puppy replacer. :peace

astra
05-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Welcome!

Good to have another Montrealer. We are small in numbers, but we are here.
I am not a Montrealer originally, but at the moment - I am here.
There are also: Scooterzmom, Iwonka, Kristal, Pip (that I remember off the top of my head).

As Jo_Schmoe said, Goat's Milk formula is best to use till FV arrives:

THis is from our Nutrition Forum:

***While waiting for the Fox Valley to arrive...

Temporary Formula for Infant Squirrels – The Goat’s Milk Formula

Because of recent manufacturing issues, Esbilac and other puppy formulas are no longer being recommended for squirrels or other wildlife. The formula that TSB recommends, Fox Valley Day One, is currently available online at www.foxvalleynutrition.com and www.henryspets.com. But those require shipping and this baby squirrel needs food NOW.

One of our senior members who posts as Jackie in Tampa uses an excellent temporary substitute, and it can be assembled from locally purchased ingredients:

3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream*
1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

When your Fox Valley formula arrives, please transition your babies to the new formula slowly, by blending the Goat’s Milk Formula with the blended and liquefied Fox Valley formula, increasing the ratio of Fox Valley with each feeding until you are no longer using the goat’s milk.

Marbel
05-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome. :) And thank you for the goat milk formula. I hesitate to switch them knowing I will be switching them again on Monday. Still, Monday is 3 days away. What do you think? I can easily get those ingredients.

Great to know several Montrealers here!

Pip
05-17-2012, 09:12 PM
:Welcome Goat's milk formula is best to use until FV arrives :grouphug :Love_Icon

lilidukes
05-17-2012, 09:39 PM
:Welcome to TSB

I can tell that you have done a little studying here and have decided to do what is in your babies best interest. I applaud you :thumbsup

Warmest wishes for your 2 darlings :grouphug :grouphug

Pics soon :poke :poke :poke

iwonka
05-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Hi Marbel,
I'm on Westisland. I have the FV and nipples. Send me your phone on kimusiek at gmail dot com.

:Welcome

Scooterzmom
05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
:wave123 Hi Marbel :Welcome

We are on a few from our area but what we lack in numbers we more than make up for in heart :Love_Icon

I'm off the island, and west off of Ile Perrot. ;)

So thankful that you took it upon yourself to help these little ones. :thankyou :thankyou They are lucky they found someone who cares like you do. If you have any question or if I/we can be of some help don't hesitate to email me - you'll find my email in my profile. The HHB's you don't have to start with at this stage. They need to be on the formula right now, area not ready for solids. If their eyes have just opened or are about then these babies must be around 5 weeks of age. They'll need to stay on formula for weeks to come.

I would transition them on the goat's milk formula and then on the FV. They really need the nutrition at that age and they can start having problems with kitten formula... and trust me, you really don't want to find yourself with sick babies.

Of course we all want to see pics of these little treasures!!! :multi If you cannot post then email them to me and I'll post them for you. :D

Marbel
05-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Just sent you an email, iwonka!

Marbel
05-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi Scooterzmom! I'm off island as well, in St. Lazare. :wave123 I posted some pix of these precious bundles in the Baby Squirrels section. Too cute!

Thanks for the welcome!

Scooterzmom
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi Scooterzmom! I'm off island as well, in St. Lazare. :wave123 I posted some pix of these precious bundles in the Baby Squirrels section. Too cute!

Thanks for the welcome!

Kinda thought you might be... ;) when I saw they're black. Please email me and I'll give you my number or you email me yours... either way. Don't post it here in the forum though. Click on my name in blue above and you will see my profile and click on send an email. ;)

Marbel
05-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I can't email you Scooterzmom, it says I have insufficient privileges. Can you email or PM me?