PDA

View Full Version : Baby squirrel cut infection help!

squirtthesquirrel
05-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone, last week I rescued a baby squirrel. We found it in the middle of our driveway apprently attacked by a cat and left to die. We brought him in and treated the few cuts he had on his right hind leg with benodine. He was around 5 weeks when we found him. Since then he has become very energetic and eats well, and has even begun to move his injured leg. Today we noticed he had stopped moving his leg and it has become swollen and pink. We believe it is infected. He is still very active and eats well just doesnt want to move the leg. WHat can we do to help this go away? Any help is appreciated! Squirt thanks you! mjs

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa297/trapper1306/0509121614.jpg

island rehabber
05-09-2012, 03:39 PM
This is dangerous -- especially since the baby was mauled by a cat. I am going to make sure you have full access to the Board as a new member, then I'll let you know when it's ok to send me a private message. Tell me where you are located in PA in that message, and we'll see if we have a member close to you who can help with antibiotics for this baby -- ASAP.

DON'T DIVULGE YOUR EXACT LOCATION HERE. PA is a very very squirrel-UNfriendly state and the baby will seized and euthanized if someone reports you to Fish & Wildlife....don't show him to neighbors or friends, either. Seriously.

BRB --

Milo's Mom
05-09-2012, 03:42 PM
here is the pic recolored and resized a little

island rehabber
05-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Poor baby! squirt I just sent you a private message -- :thumbsup

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm here to help!!:)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Ok I spoke with this lady on the phone, she couldn't meet me for a few days with baby he does not have that kind of time so I offered to go to her town but she is afraid apparently. So I have done all I can, sorry.

island rehabber
05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Thank you so much, rippie, for being there when we needed you. You've done all you could. The finder has to meet us halfway, at least, if she wants to save this baby's life. There is no drugstore medication for an infection like that. The poor baby is going to die.

I calls it like I sees it. :shakehead

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
UPDATE: on my way to get him!:alright.gif

Nancy in New York
05-09-2012, 06:35 PM
UPDATE: on my way to get him!:alright.gif
:wahoo :wahoo :wahoo :wahoo Rippie to the rescue....please let us know how you make out...:grouphug
Hey....we've missed you!:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Milo's Mom
05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Go Rippie Go! :thumbsup
Please keep us updated.

Squirtthesquirrel, THANK YOU for caring and loving him enough to make the right decision. :Love_Icon

island rehabber
05-09-2012, 07:05 PM
:jump:wahoo:multi:thankyou:thankyou:thankyou

stepnstone
05-09-2012, 07:53 PM
:thankyou Rippie and :thankyou squirt, now you really are saving his life! Cat injury to a squirrel is very deadly without some heavy AB's to treat. He's in serious trouble but your giving him the best chance possible. :grouphug

squirtthesquirrel
05-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Thank you to rippie and everyone! It was hard at first to trust him with someone else but knew it had to be done. We hope for the best and hope to be able to see Squirt as a healthy adult:)

:thankyou

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Baby boy was soaked and was able to get a lot of puss out. He ate 15 cc of Fox valley and meds given. He's settled in for the night in a warm fluffy bed. (he was such a good boy and tolerant of everything. Tomorrow we will start all over again.:Love_Icon :thankyou

squirtthesquirrel
05-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Thank you again for all your care for him!! I have faith in Squirt, hes overcome so much so far and hes such an energetic active little guy! and so cute!:D

lilidukes
05-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Get well soon little guy :grouphug

:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou to all involved :thumbsup :thumbsup

Nancy in New York
05-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Yes....thank you to all involved!:grouphug

Milo's Mom
05-10-2012, 04:56 AM
Get well soon Squirt! :Love_Icon

Pashen
05-10-2012, 08:17 AM
What kind of AB do you give for a cat bite? You usually treat all suspected cat bites, correct, because they are so deadly to small critters?

psychobird
05-10-2012, 08:49 AM
yay!!! so glad this baby is on the way to healing and health!

island rehabber
05-10-2012, 08:56 AM
What kind of AB do you give for a cat bite? You usually treat all suspected cat bites, correct, because they are so deadly to small critters?

Baytril and sulfatrim (SMZ-TMP, Bactrim) are the most recommended for cat-caught, I believe.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Just got home from having baby boy treated, his abscess was lanced and cleaned out, vet said it was deep. He was put on clavamox and given some topical cream (Furacin). He is going to take some work, I'll do my best. Big thanks to the finder I know how hard it must have been to give him up, you did the right thing, and you took wonderful care of him. Hopefully we can pull him through. Abscess's are nasty!

keetz1205
05-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Great news, Rippie!!! I'm sure you'll have him healed up and playing in no time! :thumbsup

Nancy in New York
05-10-2012, 09:33 AM
You always do your best....and I know if you have anything to say about it, he will be on the road to recovery in no time flat.:grouphug

stepnstone
05-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the update, sending prayers for the little man. Squirt:Love_Icon

Skul
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Baytril is usually the AB of choice.:)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Baytril is fine for cat bites, But I will never again use if for abscesses, or much else for that matter.

psychobird
05-10-2012, 11:54 AM
i use baytril for cat bites too, especially if there is a visible wound
if i know an animal has been in a cats mouth but i don't find any wounds i might use something like amoxy, or bactrim
what happened with the baytril and abscess??

island rehabber
05-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Abcesses on rodents, especially on the face or neck, are SO hard to treat. Nothing really works well. Unfortunately I can't think of any success stories I've heard about this in recent years....even stacked AB's don't knock those damn things out.

Weird, because on cats, a couple days of clavamox and you'd never know the abcess was ever there.....not so with our squirrels. :(

Pashen
05-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Okay, thanks!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Clavamox and Baytril & metacam for pain and I think we may have a grip on this. Still has healing to do though, something may be broken in the leg itself and not having a vet with an x ray machine impossible to tell. Nothing feels broken but has limited use of his leg (swelling is coming down slowly).
It is amazing how other animals heal quickly with abscesses and like IR said it is not so with the babies it is very life threatening and can turn septic quick.
http://youtu.be/M-L0JOGs2CI
Think I can breathe again. Happy Mothers Day!

island rehabber
05-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Rippie, that's wonderful that he's improving, and swelling is going down. The 'stacked' ABs are a good idea...I hear more and more wildlife vets are recommending this for dealing with deep infections. :thumbsup

Garden71
05-13-2012, 12:27 PM
TSP to the rescue again!!!!!!!!:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!!! To all the squirrel moms...:grouphug

MiriamS
05-13-2012, 06:38 PM
WOW, Squirt, that was a giant abscess and you absolutely did the right thing in sending this baby to Rippie. That baby needed help immediately. And Rippie I'm so happy you were able to make Squirt feel comfortable in the hard-to-make decision.

:bowdown and :thumbsup to both of you

squirtthesquirrel
05-16-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm so glad to see that he is getting better! He is definitely in good hands. Also, thanks for the video. He looks so cute. Thanks for taking great care of baby squit! :wott

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-16-2012, 03:50 PM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/margaretmowery_2006/c22ca4fb.jpg:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Jackie in Tampa
05-16-2012, 04:16 PM
he's adorable...loved that video...pure sweetness.
:bowdown STSq & rippie :bowdown

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Finally no more pus or drainage and he is full of life. :) http://youtu.be/18oC8QpPzvo

squirtthesquirrel
05-19-2012, 09:46 PM
i knew squirt would get through it hes such a tough little guy! :alright.gif how does his leg to seem as far as being broken? and thank you again!:thankyou

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
05-22-2012, 09:43 AM
He had some sort of injury to the leg once swelling subsided, he is walking pretty normal now! He has a new friend/brother in with him and they are both doing well and enjoying each other's company!:Love_Icon

Garden71
05-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the updates on this little guy....:thumbsup