PDA

View Full Version : dehydration??

babyred
05-02-2012, 03:52 PM
hi i have a 2 week old red squirrel and im afraid he will get dehydrated sometime in the future so if anyone could tell me how much pedialyte i should feeed him and how much and mabey how long thank you i just want to know what to do if this situation does happen

pappy1264
05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
If you found a baby red squirrel, you should be feeding him pedialyte for the first 24 hours, before any formula (which needs to start off diluted and gradually built up to full stregnth.) Amount is generally 5-7% of their weight, so you will need a digital scale (to weigh in grams).

babyred
05-02-2012, 04:00 PM
well i have fed it some pedialyte but i dont think enough because i didnt want to give to much what do you suggest i feed it tonight he could be a little fatter i also have goats milk

SammysMom
05-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Babyred, you need to feed the formula as this baby has had enough Pedialyte. You cannot keep giving pedialyte as it has too much SODIUM! Please know that if the baby is eating formula on a regular schedule you can alternate with WATER if you are worried about dehyration. Refer back to your original thread. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34027

pappy1264
05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Can you give us some background info on this baby?

Rhapsody
05-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Since the dehydration is a concern and not an issue atm just make sure that you hydrate now and then feed the right amount of fox valley at each feeding (5-7% of body weight) and keep an eye on the baby squirrel for any signs of future dehydration problems by preforming the pinch test -

How to Check for Dehydration:
Pinch the skin on the back of the neck - if skin doesn’t spring back immediately the baby is dehydrated.

If the baby squirrel fails the pinch test at any time in the future you can always feed some more pedialyte, or alternate feedings between fox valley and pedialyte (or water) to balance the body again...... never mix the pedialyte with the fox valley.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Is this the same baby from this thread
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34027

SammysMom
05-03-2012, 08:09 AM
yes

jo_schmoe
05-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Babyred....its really difficult to see if a tiny pinkie like yours is dehydrated...the pinch test doesn't always work with pinkies.
Is there any way you can post a pic of your baby....so we can see if dehydration is an issue?? If you are feeding formula on a good schedule...he shouldn't be getting dehydrated.
Is his skin getting dry?? You will see this often pinkies.

I just wanted to add....that you are doing a great job!! Pinkies are hard...let alone a pinkie red....:thumbsup
Thank you so much for saving this little tyke....Reds hold a very special place in my heart. :grouphug

babyred
05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
well i took the baby to a rehabilitator i didn't want to take the chances of it not living they told me that they would let me know how he was doing. probably the best choice i think

jo_schmoe
05-03-2012, 09:43 AM
well i took the baby to a rehabilitator i didn't want to take the chances of it not living they told me that they would let me know how he was doing. probably the best choice i think
That is a HUGE act of love on your part....:grouphug
Please keep us posted when you know how he is doing....:thumbsup

SammysMom
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
BabyRed, that is such a nice thing that you did for that baby. Best to have some company for the baby to grow up with. You did the very best thing you ever could have one.
:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou