PDA

View Full Version : New here and need some answers.

free
04-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site. I am glad to have found other squirrel lovers. I live in Chicago. We have alot of wild grey squirrels here. I feed the greys aound my house. I am a bit worried about one in particular. This squirrel seems to possibly have some sort of neurological issue. He or she cannot sit up on his back legs at all. He can walk on all fours but is very uncoordinated. I also believe he may be blind in one eye. I am naturally worried about him. He has been messed up for quite awhile now. About 3 months ago he was still able to sit up and eat. Now he lays on his side to eat. he cannot sit up on just his back legs. He can make it up the tree ok so far. I feed the squirrels a variety of nuts. The squirrels like the whole nuts in the shell, but for this one with the issue, he does better with the ones out of the shell. I try and leave nuts all around the tree he stays in. The only issue is that the other squirrels are so mean to him. They chase him when he tries to get nuts or when they see him laying down to eat. I feel so helpless. Any ideas on what I can do to keep the other squirrels away from him? I cannot get to close to him as he is scared and always runs up the tree. What could be causing this?? Any ideas?? It has me worried sick.

Rhapsody
04-21-2012, 10:36 PM
HI and WELCOME to TSB............ :Welcome

It sounds like the squirrel you are talking about might have a case of MBD, I am including some links for you to read about it.

Links:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=168
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17680

Plus I am recommended that you make another post concerning the issues of this particular squirrel in one of
the help needed forums where it will get more attention and help.

free
04-21-2012, 11:23 PM
How would he get this MBD? None of the other squirrels seem to have this, but they all are eating the same stuff as this little guy does. How would he have gotten this??

patjones
04-21-2012, 11:31 PM
MBD is caused from poor nutrition and squirrels vary in eating habits just like we do. Some eat lots of wild food and some would starve almost waiting for treats. You may have a junk food junkie and it has just filled up on junk and caused the problem. The MBD treatment is easy but takes a while. I will let the experts give you the details but I just wanted to let you know the others could very well be fine while this one has MBD and needs emergency treatment

free
04-21-2012, 11:48 PM
How would I even treat him? I cannot really get close to him. I would not want to trap him, that would be horrific for him, he would be terrified. I just feel so bad for him.

patjones
04-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Have a heart trap and just let him be mad. He is in real danger of breaking bones or his back if he has MBD the bones are thin and fragil climbing and jumping have to be limited and trapping and rehabbing him would be the best option for him even with the stress of being captive for a while. It is a big commitment but may be his only chance. If you could trap him there is also the option of turning him over to a rehabber that will do the treatments and release when the time comes.

patjones
04-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Have a heart trap and just let him be mad. He is in real danger of breaking bones or his back if he has MBD the bones are thin and fragil climbing and jumping have to be limited and trapping and rehabbing him would be the best option for him even with the stress of being captive for a while. It is a big commitment but may be his only chance. If you could trap him there is also the option of turning him over to a rehabber that will do the treatments and release when the time comes.
Tractor supply sells them her for 20 bucks or so and they work really well

island rehabber
04-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Folks, I'm gonna jump in here with a different point of view, based on the fact that from what I've been told neither BLOAT nor MBD ever occur in the wild.....they are caused by human intervention into squirrel lives. (sorrreee, but once again, it's all our fault...:shakehead)

The "wobbly squirrel syndrome" you're seeing could be due to a number of things.
* head trauma: squirrels fall from trees. Sometimes they fall on their heads and sustain serious head trauma that, while not life-threatening, renders them uncoordinated and "tilty"

* inner ear infection - causing dizziness and imbalance

* raccoon roundworm (baylisascariasis): incurable, always fatal. The fact that this squirrel has been like this for awhile, though, pretty much rules this one out

* toxins in the environment: lawn chemicals, rat poisons, insecticides affecting the neurological system.

All you can do is offer supportive help to this squirrel. IF there is a way of giving him treats that others won't steal, you could try dosing a walnut or chunk of avocado with some good antibiotics (Baytril, Sulfatrim, etc.). We can help you with the dosage if you think that's a possibility.

A few years ago a woman in PA had many, many squirrels in her yard like the one you described. She trapped and brought them to one of the best squirrel vets in the country. He did every test he could think of without killing them, but could not find the cause of this symptom. :dono

free
04-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Thank you for that info, I really appreciate it. I feed the squirrels around my house walnuts, almonds, pecans, and hazelnuts. Could it be my fault that he is sick from just eating nuts and not what he is suppose to be eating?? Though all the othe other squirrels seem to be ok. I notice he is getting worse in a sense. I mean three months back he was able to sit up on his back legs and eat, now he has to lay on his side, it is really odd. We think he is blind in one eye as when I throw nuts for him to eat he seems to have a bit of a time seeing them, he will cock his head to one side. He can see, but likely only in one eye.

I agree that this seems to be neurological. I would almost say sort of like parkisons or MS but in a squirrel. I know it is not those things, but it is odd. My worry is that he seems to have gotten worse over that last few months. I am not sure about giving him an antibiotic, suppose he is to have a bad reaction? I would not want to cause any more damage to this little guy. I do not see him everyday, some days he does not come out. But other days he does. Trapping him would not be a good thing in my opinion. I know I remember a couple years ago a friend of mine did this because she had seen a sickly squirrel that was in her back yard. She said that it was awful for the poor thing. It caused so much stress on the squirrel. She said she would never do that again. It was awful. She said the squirrel was terrified. It actually was banging itself against the cage trying to get out.

Is there any types of food I could give him when I see him that may be helpful to him? Is is safe to keep giving him nuts? Do you think it is the nuts that is causing this? I thought it may be at first, but none of the other squirrels that are eating have this issue ( and they are eating actually more that he does). Thank again for your input. It seems you have a lot of knowledge about squirrels.

Folks, I'm gonna jump in here with a different point of view, based on the fact that from what I've been told neither BLOAT nor MBD ever occur in the wild.....they are caused by human intervention into squirrel lives. (sorrreee, but once again, it's all our fault...:shakehead)

The "wobbly squirrel syndrome" you're seeing could be due to a number of things.
* head trauma: squirrels fall from trees. Sometimes they fall on their heads and sustain serious head trauma that, while not life-threatening, renders them uncoordinated and "tilty"

* inner ear infection - causing dizziness and imbalance

* raccoon roundworm (baylisascariasis): incurable, always fatal. The fact that this squirrel has been like this for awhile, though, pretty much rules this one out

* toxins in the environment: lawn chemicals, rat poisons, insecticides affecting the neurological system.

All you can do is offer supportive help to this squirrel. IF there is a way of giving him treats that others won't steal, you could try dosing a walnut or chunk of avocado with some good antibiotics (Baytril, Sulfatrim, etc.). We can help you with the dosage if you think that's a possibility.

A few years ago a woman in PA had many, many squirrels in her yard like the one you described. She trapped and brought them to one of the best squirrel vets in the country. He did every test he could think of without killing them, but could not find the cause of this symptom. :dono

Skul
04-23-2012, 06:47 AM
I'm kind of wondering if it might be an elderly squirrel.
You can certainly try any of the foods that have been mentioned on TSB.

free
04-23-2012, 11:45 AM
I never really thought of that, but maybe that could be the issue, I just do not know. I feel bad for the little guy. It is horrible how the other squirrels are mean to the ones that are not right. They will chase him away from any food or just chase him for no reason. It is so mean. I guess in their world it is each for their own. When I do see him I will always try and get him a nut. He will usually take it and and go up into the tree to eat it. When he tries to eat it on the ground he has to lay on his side or prop up against the tree. It is awful to watch though as I feel helpless.

I know some say that it would good to capture him, but I do not want to put that poor little guy through all that. He could actually hurt himself more if he were trapped in a cage. My friend did this once to a squirrel that was not well and the squirrel banged itself up like crazy trying to get away. Horrific. I pray the little guy makes it. I will continue to give nuts and water when I can, but it is not easy as the other squirrels always chase him back up the tree :(

I'm kind of wondering if it might be an elderly squirrel.
You can certainly try any of the foods that have been mentioned on TSB.

gkurtenbach
07-14-2012, 07:43 AM
I have squirrel in my back yard that has the same problem--trouble with balance, weak back legs. He has been like this for almost two months now.

Did you find any way to help?

I googled a bit and found it sounds like encephalitis...

island rehabber
07-14-2012, 07:47 AM
:Welcome to TSB, gkurtenbach. Sorry about your wobbly little friend.....it's unlikely that it is raccoon roundworm because the squirrel would not have survived 2 months with it. Is he getting worse, or pretty much the same from week to week? He may have sustained a back injury, hence the weakness in his legs. It could be West Nile virus, a form of encephalitis....have you had incidences of WNV in your area?

astra
07-14-2012, 08:57 AM
what has been posted so far - nothing to add.

The only thing I'll say that most likely, that squirrel won't get better, and only worse as this problem will make it more and more difficult for it to survive in the wild.

Usually, such squirrels become non-releasable (NR).

There might be someone in your area, who could give this squirrel a forever home. Do you think you could get this squirrel inside?