PDA

View Full Version : New squirrel mom!!

Coy's~Momma
04-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi everyone :)

My name is Leyla, and I am the proud new mommy of an 8 week old, male grey squirrel named Coy. Here in Minneapolis, the city workers have recently started cutting back the tree branches, and my husband just happened to see something very small hopping across the busy main road in front of his business 2 days ago. Once he got closer to investigate, little Coy ran right into is hand, and up his arm!!! I have done a ton of research over the last several days.....firstly to determine his age, and immediate needs. He does have a limp, and holds his right front paw close to his chest, although his bone structure all seems to be in good shape and nothing is swollen. I can only assume that this injury was sustained during his tumble from the nest? I have tried to offer formula to him, but he refuses it completely ..he will however drink water, and eat every veggie and fruit we have offered. There is a good chance that he may be older than we originally thought. He is exceptionally cuddly (with me in particular) and will cry if I leave him alone for too long.

I will try to upload a picture of Coy asap....maybe you all can help me determine his age?

Leyla & Coy x

SammysMom
04-19-2012, 06:26 PM
:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou For helping this little one! A picture will help a lot!

Coy's~Momma
04-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Thank you for the welcome! :)

I'm not sure that I'm approved to post pictures yet, but I will as soon as I'm able.

Leyla x

rocky63
04-19-2012, 08:02 PM
:Welcome coy's~momma :Welcome
You have just entered the NUT HOUSE :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Anne
04-19-2012, 08:55 PM
:Welcome Coy's ~Momma, You have arrived at the IMHO best squirrel site/forum available! So glad to have you and Coy here with us. We love pictures and anxiously wait on yours. In the meantime check out the nutrition treads for the healthy diet. So many squirrels are lost to poor diet and the resulting diseases of bad foods.
:thankyou for saving the little guy, you will be changed forever by the love of and with a squirrel-yep, it happens in half a New York second.

stepnstone
04-19-2012, 09:08 PM
:wave123 :Welcome

Skul
04-22-2012, 09:53 AM
If his leg seems normal, without swelling, it may just be spained.
Chances are it will heal, and he will return to normal.
If you get a chance, see if he will take some natural yogurt.

Orphan Mom
04-22-2012, 11:02 AM
He sounds like a sweetie. Check the nutrition thread, but here's the short version -- get that baby some rodent block. I can highly recommend the Henry's Wild Bites. That's what I'm using for my babes right now, and they really like them. The stuff from Henry's seems to be much more appealing than the stuff you can get at the pet store. Don't make the mistake of giving him a bunch of nuts and fruits, or you'll have a really hard time getting him to eat what he needs.