PDA

View Full Version : Question re: weaning off rodent blocks

skarabrae
04-17-2012, 01:25 PM
After speaking with a wildlife rehabilitator near me who stressed the major need for all squirrels to be weaned off the blocks before they're released (as obviously, they can't find blocks in the wild), how do you guys manage to do this when the recommendation is for the blocks to be 50% of their diet?

Not that I'm anywhere near this stage yet, but I like to be prepared... what sort of foods does everyone generally wean their "kids' onto?

stepnstone
04-17-2012, 01:38 PM
After speaking with a wildlife rehabilitator near me who stressed the major need for all squirrels to be weaned off the blocks before they're released (as obviously, they can't find blocks in the wild), how do you guys manage to do this when the recommendation is for the blocks to be 50% of their diet?
Not that I'm anywhere near this stage yet, but I like to be prepared... what sort of foods does everyone generally wean their "kids' onto?

I disagree with your WR, you don't "wean" off rodent block. What they will learn to eat in the wild is equivalent in nutrition to what is in the rodent block, that is what makes the rodent block such a necessary part of their diet.

skarabrae
04-17-2012, 02:25 PM
So I shouldn't be worried about them not finding the appropriate nutrition, when they're so used to something completely different?

stepnstone
04-17-2012, 02:46 PM
So I shouldn't be worried about them not finding the appropriate nutrition, when they're so used to something completely different?

Not sure how old your squirrel(s) are but you should be or will be also providing them with vegetables, fresh branches, leaves and wild foods up to and prior to release. They will learn how to forge for their needs once in the wild, wilds eat a variety of things to fulfill their nutritional needs. Nuts & vegetables are not the only source they seek out. They eat leaves, dirt, bark, bugs, they know what they need and obviously learn how to survive.

CritterMom
04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Also, if you release on your property, they will continue to come around and mooch, so they can eat block along with the wild foods.

BTW, I feed rodent block to my wilds - they wait for their goodies every morning, and I have some massive, gorgeous squirrels out there...

stepnstone
04-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Also, if you release on your property, they will continue to come around and mooch, so they can eat block along with the wild foods.

BTW, I feed rodent block to my wilds - they wait for their goodies every morning, and I have some massive, gorgeous squirrels out there...

:wave123 CritterMom :thumbsup

Rhapsody
04-17-2012, 03:28 PM
We do not wean our squirrels off their Rodent Blocks...... its essential to give them the best nutrition possible while they are in our care. What we do to prepare them for release while they are outside wilding up in their release cage is to feed them more of the wild foods they will find in nature once they are released.

skarabrae
04-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Okay, sounds good to me! I'm not releasing these guys anywhere near my as-good-as-wild cat... they'll be going to the boonies (squirrel paradise :D ) so I won't be around to help them out. Believe me, it's better for them.

Thanks for the advice :)

CritterMom
04-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Um, you do know that you can't just turn them loose in the woods one day...? They need a protected release place - a strong cage - where they can live in the area they will ultimately be released in...for at least several weeks before the door is opened.

skarabrae
04-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Yeah, I know. They're going to my in-laws farm. It's close enough I can go feed them every day, but there aren't any domestic animals over there (just cows! :D )

I would love to release them near my house, even despite my cat (they could outrun him/ outclimb him no problem)... but the "back 40" is right now being clearcut and developed (bawl)... so nowhere for them to live. :(