PDA

View Full Version : Meet Thumper

SQUIRRELSAREME
04-12-2012, 06:28 PM
]Hi I got Thumper a week ago tuesday . He had fallen out of a tree about 3or 4 stories up. When I got the call from a customer he said there was a baby squirrel in the parking lot still alive but not moving . I heated up a rice buddy and went to get him. He was bleeding from the nose and very cold, not moving so I wrapped him up and took him home . Cage on half heating pad set on low rice buddy next to him in the dark. When he was warm I gave him pedilite and his weight was 147 cleaned up his nose and checked him out his back legs were not working at all they were laying next to him. When I stimulated him he had rust colored pee and dark poop. I rehydrated him throught out the night and the next day . After 24 hours I started on FV 3 parts water 1part FV he had a seizure on thursday morning. So I gave him tums right away and through the day.He was peeing on himself as he was un able to use his back legs. So to clean him I gave him a bath and started excersing his back legs in the water. I did this twice a day so now 7 days later he has about 85 to 90 percent use of his back legs yea. Should I keep up with the water therapy until they are working at 100 percent Oh yea his pee is clear now and FV yellow poop

SQUIRRELSAREME
04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/justatrim/9ea0e027.jpg

I hope this is a picture of Thumper

Sweet Simon's Mommy
04-12-2012, 06:42 PM
WoW you have done a great job in just a week!!

Jackie in Tampa
04-12-2012, 06:45 PM
already read your other thread..sounds like you did all that could be done without a vet.
have you given him anything for pain?
are you saying he is not paralysed?
when was this pics taken?
his legs are def not where they should be..ouch.
can he stand up? or does he drag himself?
can you get metacam anywhere? it can be used in animal or human medicine..it's a pain reliever, anti inflammatory Rx.
do you feel a divet or lump anywhere down his spin?
sorry for all the questions...

:grouphug Thumper:grouphug

Sweet Simon's Mommy
04-12-2012, 06:52 PM
looks like my Simon

SQUIRRELSAREME
04-12-2012, 08:15 PM
He is walking almost normal a little bit dragging. http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/justatrim/thumper/afa25446.jpg. http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/justatrim/thumper/41b54f73.jpgzzshttp://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/justatrim/thumper/41b54f73.jpg

SQUIRRELSAREME
04-12-2012, 08:21 PM
already read your other thread..sounds like you did all that could be done without a vet.
have you given him anything for pain?
are you saying he is not paralysed?
when was this pics taken?
his legs are def not where they should be..ouch.
can he stand up? or does he drag himself?
can you get metacam anywhere? it can be used in animal or human medicine..it's a pain reliever, anti inflammatory Rx.
do you feel a divet or lump anywhere down his spin?
sorry for all the questions...

:grouphug Thumper:grouphug gave him baby ibuprofen No he is not paralyzed The first picture was take 4/4/12. The last two pics were last night. No lumps or separation that I can feel. Glad to answer all the questions. He is climbing all over me right now:multi

island rehabber
04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
GOOD work, Squirrelsareme! :bowdown The fact that he is regaining the use of his legs so quickly points to good things ahead -- possibly a full recovery. Excellent idea, the water therapy :thumbsup:thumbsup. I would keep it up -- it can't hurt him and is obviously helping. We love dedicated squirrel finders like you!

Anne
04-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Most certainly keep the water therapy going. Floating in the warm water will help him to relax as long as he feels secure. Great job squimommy.

SQUIRRELSAREME
04-13-2012, 01:06 AM
So do you think he should still be on pain meds. I can't believe the way he has bein responding to water therapy it's like I have a different squirrel so glad I did this for him he is so lovable lots of work but so well worth the effort
:jump

SQUIRRELSAREME
04-13-2012, 01:08 AM
looks like my Simon
I have watch video of your Simon so totally cute. I think Thumper is going to be ok it's amazing how well he is doing I will keep it up Time will tell So should I keep him on calsium?.

island rehabber
04-13-2012, 05:49 AM
JMHO, but I feel if you get him on full strength FV and he's taking a good amount every day he does not need supplemental calcium.

SQUIRRELSAREME
04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
He is on full strength FV and taking between 10 to 12 cc 4 times a day. I still keep him in a small cage as I don't want him to start climbing yet. Just being carful I did let him into the bathroom this morning for a bit I just can't believe he is doing so well very slight drag of right leg still