PDA

View Full Version : Help with a very picky eater

Kichigai
01-20-2007, 12:26 PM
I have a 2 1/3 month old gray squirrel who is a very picky eater. He won't eat walnuts, cucumbers, zucini, lettice, corn, etc. The only thing he will stuff his face with are pricy pinenuts and potato chips. Is there anyway I can get him to eat more healthy foods?

Gabe
01-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Yes, give him only healthy foods, leave the rest of the junk food for an occassional treat. He'll eat the good stuff if he has no choice. He's a kid, and kids will eat all the junk food you let them have.

TexanSquirrel
01-20-2007, 02:37 PM
What a little toot. Good luck with him!

island rehabber
01-20-2007, 03:11 PM
yes, you've GOT to stop the potato chips. Forever. If he isn't filling up on those, and pine nuts, he will eventually nibble on the better stuff and it shouldn't take long. (Unlike cats, picky squirrels won't starve themselves.) I can't impress upon you enough how important it is for him to have a varied, nutritional diet. There is a ton of information on this Board about proper diets for squirrels of all ages and breeds. There are also quite a few accounts of squirrels who survived for months -- even years -- on lousy diets, only to "suddenly" become ill with seizures and die. Be strong, and get that fuzzer off the junk! :peace

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
01-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Yes, I agree with Island Rehabber. It is very important to get your squirrel off of the junk food and onto a healthy diet before it is too late! Try giving your squirrel all the healthy foods and putting a little bit of avocado on top, just a little not too much and see if that helps. My squirrels love avocado and they recommended it as a weaning food at the wildlife center where I volunteer.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
01-20-2007, 07:21 PM
yes, you've GOT to stop the potato chips. Foreverexactly..I gave them a few crumbs before I new better when I found out how bad they were for them ..forget it!!
Instead of buying a regular amount of veggies just to see if he likes it. Try different things at a salad bar. That was you wont have to purchase big amounts just to have him not eat them.

GhosTS
01-21-2007, 12:13 AM
Amen..No potatoe chips.Try some Kale, broccoli and cauliflower.He will eat them when he is hungry.:D

Kichigai
01-25-2007, 06:24 PM
He's finally eating the healthy stuff! I bought some kale and shelled nuts (He seems to like them freshly opened) He still won't eat zuchini but he will eat apples! :) No more junk food for him! Thanks!

Gabe
01-25-2007, 06:30 PM
I don't have much luck getting them to eat zucchini either. Try some broccoli, baby carrots, snow peas or sweet potatoes.

island rehabber
01-25-2007, 06:30 PM
:goodpost :thumbsup Good work!!

Don't worry so much about the zucchini -- it doesn't have as many vitamins in it anyway. It's the leafy greens he needs the most, so keep that kale comin'. See if he'll eat fresh green beans, pea pods or escarole, too. And please keep us posted on his progress -- we all care. :peace

SquirrelyGuy
01-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Name me any young man who eats what they're suppose to. :rotfl
If he dose like junk food, try tricking him into eating healthy junk food. For example: Banana chips, veggie Chips, V8 splash fruit drink, soy protein bars, OOH or those dried fruit leather like snacks from sun-ripe.:thumbsup( I'd ask about the safety of any of these first tho.) OOOOR. I could send you some of my triple peanut butter cookies.:squirrel1 just an Idea.:thumbsup