PDA

View Full Version : Fox or Grey?

skunkangel
04-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Eyes closed, sixty grams each, and starting to look pretty orange. Not a lot fur on the chest yet, and they seem 'darker' in general than my greys. We do not see fox squirrels often, only grey squirrels, so I can't decide if they are just a browner morphed grey, or if they're turning into foxers... Here are photos, one of just the underside of the tail.

Opinions?

Milo's Mom
04-09-2012, 05:12 PM
At first glance, I'd say Foxer, but I've also seen some pretty foxer looking greys. Are the pads of their feet getting darker yet?

island rehabber
04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
I think they are greys....pink pads, white tummies. :)

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-09-2012, 06:34 PM
100% sure those are baby foxers. Their paw pads don't change from pink to black until they're 7-8 weeks old.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-09-2012, 06:35 PM
See the orange tail, greys have light grey tails.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-09-2012, 06:37 PM
How long have you had the little tykes and what are you feeding? The one looks to be a little bloated.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
04-09-2012, 06:39 PM
ok place ur bets

Milo's Mom
04-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I am sticking to my original thought...Foxers.

That sable fur with those orange ear tufts...looks an awful lot like my Princess.

island rehabber
04-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Hey I know when I'm licked :tilt. I bow to the Queen Mum of Princess Ellie, and to the Future Vet Rehabber of Many Baby Foxers......they're foxers! :D

skunkangel
04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
I'll take more pictures tonight, promise. They are getting darker in the bottom paw pads. Darker than ANY grey I've done, and I've done 100+. The underside of the necks are what gets me, it's very orange. But the bellies are still super grey/pink with no hair yet.

These guys came in from a finder feeding KMR every 4hrs, as much as they would drink. So you're right, one of them is still super-bloated. Poor guy looks pregnant. :( But the two that look good are on 100% FV32/40 now, while the bloated little one that I keep calling Preggo is still only on 50% formula and 50% electrolytes. He'll come around. I'm trying mineral oil because the warm baths aren't working so far. Can you believe he's looked like that for 48 hours straight now? I'm getting poop from him, but not as much as I'd like. He worries me.

Nancy in New York
04-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Can you just try giving him hydration and no formula.
Do you have infant gas X? Not sure how many you have now,
or even if you can take the time, but I had one with terrible bloat
and I would pat his back for about 20 minutes...which seemed to help
a lot. He would still bloat a little after hydration, and I would pat it
again. Eventually, he could start taking formula again with no problem. Poor baby...:grouphug

skunkangel
04-09-2012, 10:39 PM
I did almost 36 hours straight electrolytes and started to get scared that he'd gone so long with no calories. Normally our rule is 24 hours max on just fluids, so I finally started 24/75% and got to 50/50% and stopped. I don't want to up the formula until the bloat resolves. He's had Simethicone gas drops BID for 3 days now, but it doesn't seem to be changing anything. I've never had bloat this stubborn. I'm running out of ideas. Mineral oil does produce stool, but it's not enough for the bloat to go down. I can take him back to 100% fluids, but he's a real screamer and starts to really go to town on his brothers' genitalia if given half a chance. I'll try the back rub tonight. I'm willing to try anything at this point. We never get fox squirrels, so I'm feeling pretty lucky to have them. :)

patjones
04-10-2012, 12:56 AM
I am saying Fox this is Pixel when he was about four weeks or so
http://www.patjonesphotography.com/img/s11/v31/p281094022-4.jpg

Jackie in Tampa
04-10-2012, 06:07 AM
are you making the formula with electrolytes as a mixer...
instead of water?

NaturesGift
04-10-2012, 08:43 AM
hi angel!!! i want them!!! im surrounded by foxers..tho my yard is all greys..i may be to blame for that!

the lil girl i got in success has a peach belly and her tail is highlighted yellow and orange. shes a grey!

skunkangel
04-10-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm convinced they're foxers. The bloat is improving on the one, and he's looking much better. Mineral oil last night might have finally made us some progress. Eating well, crazy active, and poop looks good. I'm not making formula with electrolytes. We use Electrostat from Fox Valley for hydrating, and that is what I am diluting his formula with, but the formula itself is made with regular ole water. He's doing well though, so we might be pulling out of the woods finally.

More photos, albeit not great ones.