PDA

View Full Version : is this mange

pappy1264
04-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Peanut is missing the fur on his ears, on the sides of his face and on his testicles. He has not been scratching and it has been a gradual loss. The fur on the rest of his body is wonderful, nice and thick, including his tail. I will try to get pics.

stepnstone
04-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Sure don't sound like the usual pattern of mange. :dono

Rhapsody
04-07-2012, 03:26 PM
We really need to see a PIC....... due to the fact as stated above, it doesnt sound like the regular pattern mange generally takes. --maybe its winter molt or ear mites? :dono

pappy1264
04-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Ok, fur grew back under the chin and ears...but not the testicles, and now he has lost fur in the groin area and it is is red (although not scaley) and noticed he is scratching in this area. So I am assuming mites. (He is also on the thinner side, even though he eats good). So, do I do revolution or ivermectin? Which is safer? I would die if anything happened to him! (Trying to get pics, but very hard to hold his legs open and get a pic!) He also has a bald spot where his tail and body meet (on the underside, not the top). Is this a typical mange pattern (I think he is beginning to thin in his 'armpits' too.) He also has lot one tiny spot on his head, above his eyes, right in the center, but it is not red there, it is a very small spot, smaller then the head of a pencil.

SammysMom
04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Sounds like a drop of Revolution wouldn't hurt him any. I have used it on Sammy and all my cats with no ill effects from it at all.

pappy1264
04-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Do you get the revolution for kittens or does it matter?

SammysMom
04-26-2012, 08:38 AM
It doesn't matter as far as I know. It is all the same stuff just different quantities.

Jackie in Tampa
04-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Rev for kittens is fine and safe.
It sounds like it may be mating season
however if his butt is swollen, that may be his lymph nodes, indicating weak immune system.
This could be due to stress of mange.
With mange, usually face is affected first, ears get scaley/crusty..
some times black gunk in ears is noticable, not always.
Thin could indicate either rut or mange/immune issues.
Rev and top shelf feedings, maybe some echinechia in the water.
Will he lap FV?
The Rev won't hurt him, one drop between the shoulders..
I have never had to treat twice, but I haven't seen any mange in a couple few years.
He should stop itching in a few days after the treatment!

pappy1264
04-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Butt not swollen, just a dime size loss of fur literally on the bottom of his tail right where it connects to body. Ear fur has grown back (never was crusty), as has the fur under chin. the weird thing is, where the fur loss is in the groin (it is actually where his back legs and body meet, in that crease. Sometimes it is reddish looking other times, it just looks flesh colored. I do see his scratching with his back legs at that hip area, though. Will see if hubby can hlep me get a pic later. He eats well, and yes he does love fv in a dish, as well as hhb's, green, avocado (his fav), waxies, veggies. I noticed Neeko looks like he is going through a molt (not bald, but half his body it looks like when a flyer molts, how they still have fur, but it looks shorter and darker when they are molting. That is how Neeko's fur is on half his body. Their cages are next to each other. But have not noticed Neeko scratching.) None of the places with fur loss is crusty or bumpy. I know in squirrels they can get two different types of mange, one of which does not cause the scaliness, so wondering if that is what this is (like you mentioned from stress of it being breeding season, even though his personality has not changed even in the slightest, he is still my sweet boy.)

pappy1264
04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
a bunch of pics I just took of Peanut. The bald spot on his head is new, but when he first came to me, he had had an injury there (crow tried to eat him alive), and when you feel the spot, you can feel a small lump there, assuming scar tissue? There is also a pic of his backend, where he has fur loss under his tail. And in a couple pics you can see the fur loss/pinkness under his armpits and in the creases of his thighs (need help to get a better, pic, as you can see holding him and trying to get a pic of his underside doesn't work well....lol) Does this look like mites? Going to get some revolution from my vet and put a drop on him (was told it would not hurt if if is not mites). He eats well, (greens, veggies, hhb's, loves avocado, waxies and has begun drinking fv again from a dish, he had stopped drinking it for a while, but seems to like it again.) He does not go outside (he will not even let me get him near a window. Wondering if I should get a uv light for him? He is lean, always has been (he is very active), even though he eats quite a bit. I know his fur is 'cracked', but he is not dehydrated (does not tent, drinks plenty of fluids). So, let me know you all think about the fur loss. Thanks. Will be in two posts. First 10 pics.

pappy1264
04-27-2012, 02:00 PM
And the rest of them....

jo_schmoe
04-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Paps....does Peanut chew on the bars of the cage??
Baby Jude had this same thing happen when I gave him a deer antler shaped like a V....he chewed so much on it right in the crook that he wore a spot off his head. It grew back fine. When he was older....he would chew on the bars of the cage when he wanted out....and would end up with the same exact looking spot.
Is it only on his head?

jo_schmoe
04-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Here's what Judes looked like.....:Love_Icon

pappy1264
04-27-2012, 02:52 PM
No, thre is a pic of under his tail, and if you look at the pic of him on top of the cage, look at his front leg, you can see the pink right behind/uner that leg. Front and back legs where the rub against the body, are bald and are pink, but sometimes look brighter pink then at other times (sometimes it just looks flesh colored.) No, he doesn't bite on the bars at all (when he wants out, he will bounce around like a ping pong ball...lol) but he used to have a bald spot there when he first came from an injury and for the past month or so, I could see the spot, it almost looked like he had touched it with the spout of his water bottle, but then he lost the fur there. I have not seen him ever scratch that area. Only place he usually scratches is his sides (just in front of his 'hips' and once in a while his face/chin. Which btw, he had lost the fur under his chin, sort of in the groove where the chin/neck meet, but it grew back. same with the fur on his ears.) Read about a certain type of mange squirrels get (just squirrels get it) and the fur grows back, a normal healthy squirrel has no issues from it, other than loosing the fur (and in winter, that could be an issue because of the cold, but the actual mange itself isn't a big issue from what I read.) I think as long as the revolution would not hurt him, might be a good idea to try it and see if this goes away. What do you think? I love him and don't want to do anything that could cause him any harm.

jo_schmoe
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
No, thre is a pic of under his tail, and if you look at the pic of him on top of the cage, look at his front leg, you can see the pink right behind/uner that leg. Front and back legs where the rub against the body, are bald and are pink, but sometimes look brighter pink then at other times (sometimes it just looks flesh colored.) No, he doesn't bite on the bars at all (when he wants out, he will bounce around like a ping pong ball...lol) but he used to have a bald spot there when he first came from an injury and for the past month or so, I could see the spot, it almost looked like he had touched it with the spout of his water bottle, but then he lost the fur there. I have not seen him ever scratch that area. Only place he usually scratches is his sides (just in front of his 'hips' and once in a while his face/chin. Which btw, he had lost the fur under his chin, sort of in the groove where the chin/neck meet, but it grew back. same with the fur on his ears.) Read about a certain type of mange squirrels get (just squirrels get it) and the fur grows back, a normal healthy squirrel has no issues from it, other than loosing the fur (and in winter, that could be an issue because of the cold, but the actual mange itself isn't a big issue from what I read.) I think as long as the revolution would not hurt him, might be a good idea to try it and see if this goes away. What do you think? I love him and don't want to do anything that could cause him any harm.
Oh heck yeah!! Try the Revolution....very hard to overdose......and see what happens.

pappy1264
04-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Ok, I just noticed your avatar pic....and I am in tears. I think of Flash so often and just seeing him there....sigh......:shakehead :Love_Icon

Thanks, I will try it.

pappy1264
04-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Anybody else????

jo_schmoe
04-30-2012, 08:37 AM
How we doing today??

pappy1264
04-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Well, was ok, until the issue with Nestle! My vet is not in today, have appt. on Thurs, so may drag Angel and Peanut with me to do a quick check on them.

jo_schmoe
04-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Well, was ok, until the issue with Nestle! My vet is not in today, have appt. on Thurs, so may drag Angel and Peanut with me to do a quick check on them.
Good thinkin!!! :thumbsup
Sending lots of love your way....and thanks for the comment about Flash. Hes still in my mind every single day...:grouphug :Love_Icon

pappy1264
05-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Got the revolution and put a drop on him today (and that was NOT easy, that boy doesn't sit still for a milisecond!!! lol) I put it into a syringe first, so I could control it more. So, I just wait and see now?

jo_schmoe
05-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Got the revolution and put a drop on him today (and that was NOT easy, that boy doesn't sit still for a milisecond!!! lol) I put it into a syringe first, so I could control it more. So, I just wait and see now?
Yep. Depending on the severity of the mange....you can reapply in about 2 weeks time. Very hard to overdose....you should see improvement in a few days.:peace :thumbsup

pappy1264
05-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks. never having dealt with it before......

jo_schmoe
05-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks. never having dealt with it before......
Its extremely common.....and I can't think of one squirrel that I have ever had that I didn't dose with Revolution....as a just in case....and also just not wanting any mites or fleas in my rehab room...infecting others.
The area that you applied the Rev to may lose a bit of hair. It never caused that on any of mine....but I have seen that it has in some others. Don't worry...that too is normal.
I would watch the areas that are losing hair....if this is mange....you should start to see some hair regrow in about 2 weeks...( give or take). If you don't see improvement....I would look into a possible fungal issue. Most fungal issues will begin on the feet and underside area.....:peace

pappy1264
05-06-2012, 08:01 PM
If it is fungal, what would I use then? Never dealt with any of this (guess I have been pretty lucky...lol) Peanut has been here a year almost.

jo_schmoe
05-09-2012, 09:50 AM
How is it looking today???
Any signs of improvement?

pappy1264
05-10-2012, 07:42 AM
None. I was talking to someone, they said to do it again, once a week, for three weeks, use four drops on him each time and to treat all in the room, as well (even though no one else is showing symptoms.) Guess I am going to need to buy a case of this stuff! :shakehead

jo_schmoe
05-14-2012, 11:32 PM
None. I was talking to someone, they said to do it again, once a week, for three weeks, use four drops on him each time and to treat all in the room, as well (even though no one else is showing symptoms.) Guess I am going to need to buy a case of this stuff! :shakehead
Yep...if you suspect mange...everyone should be treated.
Im still on the fence about this though....if it is mange its slight and you should have seen improvements by now. :thinking :dono
Maybe its time to look into fungal....Ive got a list of remedies.....:peace

pappy1264
05-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Well, he is slowly growing fur on his testicles and toes and the spot on the underside of his tail. but under his arms/legs, I am not sure (harder to tell, as the fur is white.)

jo_schmoe
05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Well, he is slowly growing fur on his testicles and toes and the spot on the underside of his tail. but under his arms/legs, I am not sure (harder to tell, as the fur is white.)
That is GREAT news!!
:Love_Icon Fur:Love_Icon

pappy1264
05-18-2012, 09:02 AM
He has pretty much grown back all the fur under his 'armpits', and is getting some down in the groin/thigh area, as well. Spot on head is gone, spot under tail is almost completely grown in, feet are furry again, as are testicles! So it seems it did work, just took a while. He is not itchy anymore, either. Will get new pics.

jo_schmoe
05-18-2012, 09:39 AM
He has pretty much grown back all the fur under his 'armpits', and is getting some down in the groin/thigh area, as well. Spot on head is gone, spot under tail is almost completely grown in, feet are furry again, as are testicles! So it seems it did work, just took a while. He is not itchy anymore, either. Will get new pics.
Pappy....you ROCK!!!
Im so glad it worked. :grouphug

pappy1264
05-19-2012, 08:26 AM
It wasn't me, it was the Revolution!!! (and all your help!!!)

jo_schmoe
05-19-2012, 08:33 AM
It wasn't me, it was the Revolution!!! (and all your help!!!)
Ill help you with parasites.....if you help me with bunnies!!! LOL
:D :D :D

pappy1264
05-19-2012, 06:43 PM
DEAL! lol

jo_schmoe
05-22-2012, 09:27 AM
How do we look today??

pappy1264
05-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Furry! lol Still has some baldness at the back leg creases, but getting there! Thank you for all your help! Having never been faced with it, and with my baby, Peanut, I was so upset. He is such a sweetie and I hate him not feeling good! Will try to get new pics later today or tomorrow (crazy week here!)