PDA

View Full Version : constipation

ziggy&bella
03-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Hey i have two baby squirrels,boy and girl(brother and sister) from what i have read i think they about 5-6 weeks old. They have had their eyes open for about a week and a half. the female(bella) is doing fine but the boy(ziggy) is really contispated. his butt is swollen, red and looks like its alittle scabbed up, his tail right under his butt looks kinda scabbed up also. how do i fix this? i will try and post some pictures later

SQUIRRELSAREME
03-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Have u been stimulating after feedings? U will need to submerge his lower half into a bowl of warm water and gently massage his belly and butt. Make sure to keep his head above water. This should be done for about 5 minutes. Make sure u have a warm fleese to dry him off after u remove him from the water. I am sure there will be other on here soon to give u more help

island rehabber
03-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Lots of questions, sorry -- but we must in order to help you.
What formula are you using?
Is he pooping at all? If so, I would dilute your formula and try to loosen things up that way. You can put a tiny bit of polysporin on his sore butt.

If he is not pooping at ALL, you need to watch for bloat which can be deadly. Is his tummy hard or soft? Don't give him anything except some hydration fluid: Pedialyte, homemade pedialyte, or LRS for example, until his tummy is soft and he is pooping again.