PDA

View Full Version : NC vets

lisak37
03-28-2012, 12:21 PM
I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm looking for a squirrel friendly vet in the Salisbury/Charlotte, NC area. Does anyone have any recommendations?

rygel1hardt
03-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I just pmed you the name and phone number of a squirrel friendly vet in NC. Hope she can help. Stacey

Chickenlegs
03-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Sissy is in Spencer and she has a vet .

rssmoke
09-29-2014, 01:27 AM
I am also in the charlotte area. Have a 7 week old squirrel with aspiration pneumonia. Looking for vet to get him to ASAP. Thank you for your help.

lilidukes
09-29-2014, 02:50 AM
Atrium Animal hospital

6520 McMahon Drive, Charlotte, NC 28226
Phone:(704) 542-2000

Your squirrel is safe there with Dr Laura

rssmoke
09-29-2014, 05:47 AM
Thank you very much. We called every emergency get we could find last night and they all said the exotic vets were gone for the day. We had baytril and did the best we could do with dosing but definitely want to get him checked. Really thought we were going to loose him last night. I will keep you posted. Thank you again.

CritterMom
09-29-2014, 06:03 AM
Thank you very much. We called every emergency get we could find last night and they all said the exotic vets were gone for the day. We had baytril and did the best we could do with dosing but definitely want to get him checked. Really thought we were going to loose him last night. I will keep you posted. Thank you again.

Baytril is EXACTLY what he needs. If you can put up his weight and the strength of the baytril - if it is a pill, the milligrams - and we can help you with proper dosing. If you cannot get him in to see a vet today, please make sure you do this. The med is right, just need to make sure the amount is right.

rssmoke
09-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Hey guys,

He is improving. The vet was able to squeeze me in for 3 pm today. I will post how we make out. The Baytril I had was liquid version (could be given subcu or orallly) 10% solution. I know this needed to be diluted to prevent tissue damage.

We tried our best to find diluting directions. We did 1 part Baytril to 4 parts bacteriostatic water. He weighs .31 kg. Gave him 15 units subcu last night around 9 pm. Wasn't sure if it was once a day or twice a day so he did not get any more this morning. We are headed to the vet here shortly! I will keep everyone posted. He sounds better now. It was definitely a long and sleepless night for me. Kept him warm and tried to push hydration fluid. His appetite has returned a bit and after more hydration fluid he took his first feeding today!

-Sam

rssmoke
09-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Thank you for recommending Atrium Animal Hospital, Dr. Laura Lathan was wonderful. He was much better by the time we got there. She said he had minor pneumonia but mainly an upper respiratory infection. We are on correctly- dosed Baytril suspension 2x daily for 10-14 days. Thanks again!

lilidukes
09-29-2014, 07:28 PM
:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

scampers
02-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Been reading this and have a question. Anyone in NC. The vet I have found that is close to where I live is in Burlington and when we called to see if they treated Sq. they told us yes but I have to have a lic to re-hab them before they would treat him. Does the vet in Charlotte also require this also? I have researched and can not find a law that forbids having squirrels. But cannot get a vet to treat one. How do I get a permit to re-hab them so as to get a vet to help when needed? We have raised several and released them in the past and if not for this board, some would not have survived. We have learned much in past from this board but would like to have a vet when necessary. Any help on info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance