PDA

View Full Version : Release help.

BiancaMontgomery
03-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Some of you know that I've been raising Baby (Eastern Grey) from a tiny/eyes-not-open-yet-baby since October. She's gloriously healthy and been a true joy to raise.

Recently, I've been conducting some "tests" to see how ready she is to begin soft release. I wanted to move her 5' x 2.5' square cage outside when the trees began filling out with leaves again. However...she is failing her tests miserably. :(

Test one was letting her out of her cage without putting my dog or cats up/out of sight from her (I had a water bottle to spray them if they even looked like they might try something). She runs right up to them. :facepalm: It scares them and they get away from her, but a dog or cat outside might just attack/kill/eat her! So I'm, obviously, concerned about this.

Second test was inviting over two neigbors at different times and having them approach the cage. Now, the little male I raised 6 years ago would go wild "barking" and fipping his tale when he saw a stranger. Baby did no such thing. I had the "stranger" move right up to the cage. Baby sat eye to eye with them, had no concern at all and was probably expecting a treat from these people. Mercy.

I also, just today, found out from a neighbor (two houses down from me) that the boy and his father behind them are shoot squirrels because they are doing damage to their house. I live in NC...no one is going to do a thing about this, i am positive.

I am lost here. I don't feel like she A. Can be released at all. And if she can...B. She can't be release HERE. I live in a busy subdivision, traffic, kids, outside pets.

The male squirrel "wilded" right up. I've not done anything different. Please, advise on what YOU would do if you were in my situation.

Thank you.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-19-2012, 10:08 AM
sounds like you got yourself a squirrel

The only thing I think you can do at this point is to give her to someone who has others to release , in an other area, who can put her with them so she can learn from them how to be an outside squirrel.
I am sure we have people in NC who could help, dont give her to just anyone, someone on here:D :D

BiancaMontgomery
03-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I told my partner this morning, after I found out about the squirrel killers, that I refuse to release this precious animal (with all these strikes against her) into an environment this hostile when she is so loving and trusting. I had a flash in my mind of her walking right up to this gun weilding boy, made me sick. :( It's the last straw for me really.

sounds like you got yourself a squirrel

The only thing I think you can do at this point is to give her to someone who has others to release , in an other area, who can put her with them so she can learn from them how to be an outside squirrel.
I am sure we have people in NC who could help, dont give her to just anyone, someone on here:D :D

BiancaMontgomery
03-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Today another complete stranger to Baby was able to walk right up to the cage and actually stuck her finger in there and Baby just sniffed her. Wasn't a bit intimidated or scared by this stranger.

I'm prepared to do the right thing for Baby...whatever it is. Can anyone else confirm or deny that keeping her is the right thing to do? If she can be released, of course I want that for her...but right now, I can't see how it's even remotely possible here OR anywhere else.

I'd love to hear from more of you, get advice or hear similar experiences and their outcome. I'm truly at a loss as to what the right thing to do is.

I will do whatever is needed, without hesitation. I just want to know what it is from you folks that have the experience. Please.

Nancy in New York
03-19-2012, 07:47 PM
First off, I would NEVER release where you are....too many things going against her.
Ideally, if you could find a member that has other squirrels around the same age, and they could put her in a cage....next to the other ones, that would be the perfect situation to see if she has any interest in being a squirrel. I do feel because of her age, that if she were away from you and human contact, she would learn to become wild. It would be curious to see if she were interested in other squirrels, or if she has fear of them. (I just saw that Sweet Simon's Mommy already mentioned this....:thumbsup :D )
I have one from 2010 that I am in the process of re re releasing. He got a broken leg during his first release and came home. His second attempt, he got beaten up pretty bad by another squirrel and came home. Now he is coming and going, but only as far as my pine tree which is about 50 feet from the house....:shakehead
If there is nobody willing to take her, or that you would trust her with, perhaps just keeping her longer and letting her mature a little more would work for her. I still would not release in your area though if someone is killing squirrels...:shakehead
I know I haven't helped much....but I also believe that some squirrels would rather stay put than to have their freedom....not many, but some...:dono
These singles do become very attached/dependent on us....:shakehead
Good luck to you.:grouphug

BiancaMontgomery
03-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Thank you so much for the reply. Both of you! I'm taking all this to heart.

I can't understand fully why she has no fear of cats, dogs and other humans. She's not been allowed to interact with the cats and dog(I take her upstairs in the office, just me and her, and let her exercise), though she has SEEN them in the house. When I let her out with them for her "test" I thought for sure she'd chatter and shake her tail and either go to her cage or climb me, but she went RIGHT UP TO a cat! And the humans...she knows me and she has once or twice climbed my partner but no other people have been in contact with her.

I suppose I can give her more time to mature, that's not a problem at all! I love and adore this squirrel. I have been in tears and on the verge of an anxiety attack over this situation all day. I fully expected by now to see her wild up and give me the signs that soft release was ready to happen. I suppose it's possible that I'm just expecting to see them sooner than she's ready to show them.

And I will make some calls.

Thank you again!

Nancy in New York
03-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Thank you so much for the reply. Both of you! I'm taking all this to heart.

I can't understand fully why she has no fear of cats, dogs and other humans. She's not been allowed to interact with the cats and dog(I take her upstairs in the office, just me and her, and let her exercise), though she has SEEN them in the house. When I let her out with them for her "test" I thought for sure she'd chatter and shake her tail and either go to her cage or climb me, but she went RIGHT UP TO a cat! And the humans...she knows me and she has once or twice climbed my partner but no other people have been in contact with her.

I suppose I can give her more time to mature, that's not a problem at all! I love and adore this squirrel. I have been in tears and on the verge of an anxiety attack over this situation all day. I fully expected by now to see her wild up and give me the signs that soft release was ready to happen. I suppose it's possible that I'm just expecting to see them sooner than she's ready to show them.

And I will make some calls.

Thank you again!

I once had a little red that was so tame and friendly to everyone. It was explained to me this way.
He knew that anybody that I had contact with was safe, as he always KNEW I would protect him, so if somebody was in "his/our house" it was safe.
She knows that you wouldn't allow anything around her that was harmful, so she has no fear...this is her territory and there is no need for her to be afraid, that's what you are there for....to protect her, and she knows it.
Now I'm not sure that this is what's going on.....but it would be curious to see if she were away from you, if she would develope those instincts.
I wouldn't really worry too much about this yet. She is still young, and sometimes singles take a little longer to wild up....you have many months ahead of you with great weather coming. Wait it out, and see if she changes, she may really surprise you. We've seen it on the board all the time...:thumbsup

HRT4SQRLS
03-19-2012, 09:55 PM
:wave123 Bianca,
I don't have any release advice but I have been following Baby's thread. Poor sweet Baby--to sweet to be wild. If you had property and could control the area somewhat, she might have a chance but with your lousy neighbor and subdivision with people, pets and traffic, it sounds like a disaster in the making. I 'm sorry because I remember all along your desire was to return Baby to the trees. I know you have her best interest in mind and will do what's best for her.

BiancaMontgomery
03-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi! You are so sweet. Thank you.

Yes, it's painfully apparent that she can NOT be released here. My current plan is to give her more time and see if her instincts will begin to kick in. I feel much calmer after being reminded that she is still very young and may simply need more time. In the meantime, I will get in touch with a rehabber here and see if there is any possibility of Baby being placed near other soft release candidates and being released WITH them. Even if I have to wait a couple of months for this, I will be thrilled if this can happen.

I'm fully prepared to keep this squirrel for her lifespan if need be. Whatever is best for her...though I wholeheartedly feel that being a free squirrel is ALWAYS best when possible. If it's not her lot in life, then I will deal with that and I love her dearly so it wouldn't be a burden in any way. I still hope with all my heart for her freedom though.

:wave123 Bianca,
I don't have any release advice but I have been following Baby's thread. Poor sweet Baby--to sweet to be wild. If you had property and could control the area somewhat, she might have a chance but with your lousy neighbor and subdivision with people, pets and traffic, it sounds like a disaster in the making. I 'm sorry because I remember all along your desire was to return Baby to the trees. I know you have her best interest in mind and will do what's best for her.