PDA

View Full Version : Teen/Adult Flyer Fell Out of Tree?

LittleBabySquirrel
03-17-2012, 08:49 PM
My dad was sitting on his porch when a flyer fell out of the tree in his front yard. He sent me a pic and I think it looks old enough to get back into the tree itself. It's been about 30 mins since it happened and it's not trying to bite my dad or get away, it's acting tame.

There doesn't appear to be any injuries, however, my cat had caught an adult one before (thankfully, no injuries) and I stuck it in a critter keeper for a few mins in a dark place to re-cooperate from the assault, and when I went to release it, it acted really feisty. I would expect this one to act the same way, but it's not.

Could there have been a reason why it fell, appearing as it's "old" enough to not fall out of a tree (not fit to be released)? I'm gonna ask him to place it at the base of the tree and see if it scampers up, but I'm still curious if it's normal for and older squirrel to still fall? Could it have been fighting and fell? http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/askonecki/Flyer.jpg

LittleBabySquirrel
03-17-2012, 09:00 PM
My Dad placed him on a concrete pad near the base of the tree and he tried to walk, but my dad said it seemed like it couldn't use it's front paw. It really wasn't trying to get away from my dad (I'm not at my dad's house at the moment). Maybe it's sick? Should we see how it does over night? It took some water from the tip of my dad's finger. Should I try to find a rehabilitator?

pappy1264
03-17-2012, 09:04 PM
I would take it in for the night. Does your dad have a small bird cage he can put him in? I am sure he doesn't likely have a pouch, but if he has a sock he can somehow hang in there for the little guy to go into. Can you get to the house to help him? He could have been injured in the fall.

LittleBabySquirrel
03-17-2012, 09:14 PM
I am going to pick it up. I have a pouch from when I kept a cat-caught baby (didn't know where the nest was to return it, young enough to still need milk). That baby was released. I'll know more when I see it myself. Will keep it in a critter keeper, with the pouch in our spare-room. (we have cats/dogs =/).

I'm in the Tampa, FL area, if there's any rehabilitators who could take him. There's a local 24-hr vet who accepts wild animals and they say if they're healthy, they link up with a rehabber to take them, however if this guy is sick, but has a chance, I'd like for him to have it.

Thanks!

astra
03-17-2012, 09:20 PM
I am going to pick it up. I have a pouch from when I kept a cat-caught baby (didn't know where the nest was to return it, young enough to still need milk). That baby was released. I'll know more when I see it myself. Will keep it in a critter keeper, with the pouch in our spare-room. (we have cats/dogs =/).

I'm in the Tampa, FL area, if there's any rehabilitators who could take him. There's a local 24-hr vet who accepts wild animals and they say if they're healthy, they link up with a rehabber to take them, however if this guy is sick, but has a chance, I'd like for him to have it.

Thanks!
we have people in Tampa!
maybe, someone will be able to take this little one

LittleBabySquirrel
03-17-2012, 11:08 PM
She's an adult female. Looks very healthy, except isn't acting scared of humans, doesn't put up a fight to get away at all.

I set her down and her back legs appear to operate fine, however, her front paws do not seem functional. Her toes flip, like she's about to walk on top of them and can't seem to straightened them to walk (both paws). She seems to be able to grasp and cling fine.

Neurological? Was she like that before and that's why she fell out of the tree? Was she fine and slipped and fell and has this damage from the fall?

Due to having cats, dogs, full-time job, and a live-in boyfriend who refers to all squirrels as "tree rats", I can't keep her as I have others in the past. I would appreciate any help from a local rehabber. I am going to offer her water. I'll see if she'll take any banana or sweet potato.

Mrs Skul
03-17-2012, 11:28 PM
:wave123 Hi LittleBabySquirrel
This Baby is about 6 weeks old. He probably just started coming out of the Nest /Tree Cavity or Woodpecker Hole. They are really clumsy for the first 2 weeks. I am guessing he just lost his Footing/Grip. Mom is probably looking for him.
Listen for a high Pitch Chirping noise. It will sound like a Bird. I would Put him in a cage with a lot of Fleece so he can snuggle under. I would tie all the doors closed on the cage except 1. That one I would tie it in one place so a Raccoon can't come and steel the Baby. If Mom does not show up. She might be dead. Then have your Dad keep watch out for moor to fall. Their could be as many as 4 Babies. If you take this baby home to night. Be sure to put him on some Heating Pad.
Does your dad Know how far he Fell? :dono Do you have any Fox Vally Left? I am sending you a PM with my Phone Number. Call me if you need help. I am up all night so it will not bother me if you need to Call. Good Luck.

Mrs Skul
03-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Do you have a Gram scale? Can you get a weight on her. Also look at her top teeth. Are they long, or Short ? I believe she is a baby that is why she is not doing anything. Be careful. When the shock wears off she might take off like Lighting. :D
No Banana. :nono Do you have some apples? Just takes the seed/Cour out. If you have a opened Pecan you can offer it to her. Be sure to put some water in with her. :thumbsup3
PS
I believe her hands are just Gripping ahold because she is Scared. That is what it looks like to me.

LittleBabySquirrel
03-17-2012, 11:56 PM
I appreciate your help! I am pretty sure it's an adult. I had a baby one before, that my cat had caught. This appears full grown. It's been so long since I had to feed one, I won't feed the banana. I have an apple and sweet potato around at the moment.

Fell approx. 15-20 ft. 48g. Teeth appear long and yellow. She seemed a little more active while I was handling her to weigh her, maybe even walking better. Still hasn't tried to bite me.

I will put her in with some water and see if she acts more like a wild adult and can use her front paws in the morning. I appreciate your PM! :)

It's been four years since I released the baby I had. What are the chances this is her, and that's why she seems tame? Long shot, but one can hope :D

Mrs Skul
03-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Most wild Adult you would not be able to hold, Touch anything. They will eat you alive. :D This little Flyer Looks like my Flyer when they were 6 weeks and Mom raised them.
Between 45 to 50 gm. She is About 6 weeks. :thinking 30gm weight is 3 to 4 week old. Wild Babied do not get that greasy Flyer look that Hand Raised baby do. Good Luck.

Mrs Skul
03-18-2012, 12:27 AM
It would be a Very Very Slim chance. She would be Allot bigger. She would be 80 to 100 gm. If yours was still out their she should have been back to visit you. Did you Do a Soft release? where you leave her in the cage for a few months be for letting her go? Most all Flyer Releases come home when Hungary or Hurt. But you need to keep a cage and food out their for this to have happened. If she was fairly Young when you released her. The Wild Flyers would have chased her away. :shakehead

LittleBabySquirrel
03-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Hmmm... :thinking

Well, we'll just see how she is in the morning. Hopefully, all her symptoms are just shock and she can get back up her tree asap!

Mrs Skul
03-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Did she drink anything or eat a Pecan?

Mrs Skul
03-18-2012, 12:43 AM
LBS Make sure to get her on some heat with the Heating Pad half under the cage. I would put several Layers of Fleece inside with her, so she can burrow down into it. :thumbsup3
Tomorrow Look at the tree. Look for a Woodpecker hole on a Knot Hole. The entrance will be about 2 inches round. That would be where she lived. But Mom will probably move the Babies tonight because one is missing.
Do You have any FoxVally Formula? If not just try to get her to drink some water , or Molasses, and Water, or Maple Syrup and Water. Can you pull her skin between the Shoulders and neck out and then release it. It should go back quickly. That means she is not Dehydrated. The Slower it goes. The more Dehydrated she is. Let me know what happens.

Mrs Skul
03-18-2012, 12:50 AM
I have to run and Feed the Flyers. They are Yelling at me.:D I will check back in a few if you need anything just yell.
PS
OH How far are you from Jackie? She is in Tampa. :dono
Their are a lot of Rehabbers in FL that will be able to help you int he morning. I not sure I would take her and just put her on the tree and Let her go.

LittleBabySquirrel
03-18-2012, 12:52 AM
"Released" wasn't the right word for the baby one I had. On a walk one evening, after I had her a couple of months or so, she jumped into a tree and never came back :shakehead

She hasn't accepted water from my finger, but I am putting a small lid of water in with her and some cut-up apple and sweet potato. Heating pad is warming. What about raw sunflower seeds?

She passes the pinch test. I was going to leave her in the fleece-lined pouch I have her in and just set that in the box (with lid and air holes). I lined it with paper towels.

LittleBabySquirrel
03-18-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm in Clearwater, FL -- not far from Tampa at all. If she isn't using her paws right in the morning I will seek out someone who can help her.

Thanks for all your support and advice tonight! I will check in later in the AM.

Jackie in Tampa
03-18-2012, 02:05 AM
i will send my number via pm, call me if you need some help.

LittleBabySquirrel
03-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks Jackie!

So, last night she ate sweet potato and apple. As I was handling her to take her out of the pouch and place her near the food to see if she would eat, she did start to bite me! :thumbsup

I noticed she tried to grab a piece of sweet potato and couldn't coordinate both front paws to hold it. She ate the remainder of the time off the ground.

She peed once and when most of the food was gone, I coaxed her toward the pouch (had half on and half off the heating pad)

This morning, the rest of the food was gone and there was poop! :wahoo

Can't specifically tell if she had any water.

I set her on the ground outside of the box. She seems only the slightest more resistant than last night about being handled, but when "freed" still doesn't move much. If I try and coax her forward she may take a step or two, but still doesn't seem to have full use of her front paws, for whatever reason.

Jackie, do you know of anyone who can take her on? I have one other person in Largo I need to try and check with today.

Jackie in Tampa
03-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I will be here most of the day, I am in south Tampa near air base, closest bridge is Gandy.
sent you my number:)

Charley Chuckles
03-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I had the same thing happen to me once and he took formula for several weeks so I knew he was not an adult/I ended up keeping Rocky :D They are just very sweet fuzzers :grouphug I hope the little one is doing well I think it is just young and they are friendly when they need someone to take care of them :D I agree an adult would not let you hold them....may just need to be rehabbed for awhile till she/he is weened then would be fine in the wild as long as he is not injured :Love_Icon

LittleBabySquirrel
03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks! This one is eating solid foods like a champ! I am hooking up with Jackie later to deliver this fuzzball and she will determine if I should release it back at my dad's or if we'll find her a home.

As always, I am thankful this forum exists! :thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
She has a bloody mouth, fresh red blood, I would guess she landed on her face in the fall.
I did see teeth, but did not want to be invasive as she was being very sweet and allowing me to look at her and pet her, I needed to get meds and formula in her before upsettiing her.
I kept her in my small carrier, hung a pouch just in case...however she is in a bundle of fleece on the bottom of the carrier, which is on a heating pad, she has rice buddy axcess.
She took 2 ccs of FV with heavy cream/yogurt and her meds, I chose for pain and inflammation, metacam, and SMZ-TMP anti biotic to be safe.
She has a pecan half & almond, apple, avacodo, carrot, romaine and a dish of water...

I will give update tomorrow later in he day!
Thank you, it was nice to meet you, thanks for sharing your info for the future!
thank you for rescuing her!
nite:wave123

fire-eyez
03-19-2012, 12:29 AM
great to hear that she is getting the treatment :)

Mrs Skul
03-19-2012, 03:13 AM
:wahoo Jackie Has the Little Flyer! FoxVally and Meds! :alright.gif
:thankyou Thank you LittleBabySquirrel for rescuing, and getting her to Jackie. :grouphug
Thanks Jackie for taking this baby in. :bowdown
Jackie call if you need anything? Did you get her weight? What do her front hands look like?
Jackie you know what this means? :dono
We Need A NAME !!!

Jackie in Tampa
03-19-2012, 06:17 AM
:wahoo Jackie Has the Little Flyer! FoxVally and Meds! :alright.gif
:thankyou Thank you LittleBabySquirrel for rescuing, and getting her to Jackie. :grouphug
Thanks Jackie for taking this baby in. :bowdown
Jackie call if you need anything? Did you get her weight? What do her front hands look like?
Jackie you know what this means? :dono
We Need A NAME !!!

She's 55 grams...no clue what her name is:dono
she was not dehydrated
but her ears were laid down and her eyes looked 'off'

LittleBabySquirrel
03-19-2012, 07:20 AM
I'm so glad you had everything on hand to provide her before her trip to the vet! I will be anxiously awaiting any updates from her visit.

I will always try to help when someone calls me about a critter if I can. This is the first time I had one that seemed really injured/not acting normal, so I am thankful I could call on "The BIG Guns" (The Squirrel Board) :D

I didn't have this one long enough to have a name come to me, you guys go for it!:thumbsup

pappy1264
03-19-2012, 07:23 AM
So glad to hear she is in Jackie's hands....she will get the best care possible there! Thank you for saving this little peanut and getting her to Jackie!

fire-eyez
03-19-2012, 07:32 AM
What about naming her Luna which is after the goddess of the moon

IrishHarps
03-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Yay Jackie! Can't wait to hear more of this little flyer's story :)

Jackie in Tampa
03-19-2012, 08:22 AM
she seems worse this morning as far as movement, however she ate 3 ccs and nibbled a hazel nut that I held for her...
we have a 12:30 vet appointment today!

sassysquirrel
03-19-2012, 09:47 AM
how about the name Star

Jackie in Tampa
03-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Luna Star has passed away, in route to the vets this morning.
I am so sorry.
Rest in Peace Sweet flyer!:Love_Icon

IrishHarps
03-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Aww so sad. Was the vet able to figure out what happened?

RIP poor baby.

Jackie in Tampa
03-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Aww so sad. Was the vet able to figure out what happened?

RIP poor baby.we speculate internal injuries.:sad

LittleBabySquirrel
03-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Ugh! Very sad to hear... RIP Luna Star... :(

At least she knew the taste of pecan...

Thank you for all your efforts Jackie!