PDA

View Full Version : Rehab advice needed for paralysis

djarenspace9
03-14-2012, 09:56 PM
This is for my dear little Kirby...

If you have firsthand experience with rehabbing a paralyzed squirrel I would love to hear what I can do to help the healing.
I would like to promote as much muscle strengthening as possible.
Ideally I'd love for him to have some leg mobility...I know it is possible in some cases.

I recall reading about some squirrels that had massage, water therapy, special supplements...
anything really that would help make a best-case scenario for his future.

Here's his thread
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33269

He is paralyzed waist down.
We have not done any Xray yet, waiting till he is better with his pneumonia and UTI before subjecting him to that.

If you do know of someone else that could be helpful to me, please let me know so I can contact them.

Rhapsody
03-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Jackie has exp with squirrels that are paralyzed, I would get in contact with her.

lilidukes
03-15-2012, 05:46 AM
I pm'd you my number if anyone thinks I might be able to help. I'd be more than happy to share my experiences with you.

:grouphug Kirby :grouphug

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Water therapy saved Simon's leg period.
It is not attached at the hip and crosses over under him, it was almost starting to dry up and turned gray in color, he is always sitting on it or dragging it.
I never got pictures of what I did when he was in the water, because I only have 2 hands.
I put about 1 inch of water in the utility sink.
Then , while he is standing ,I would put one hand under his rear end, from behind, and lift just enough so his feet still touched the bottom of the sink. Not too much to knock him off balance and get his face in the water:shakehead ,that would be bad.
then while holding him I would rub with my thumb, his outside his hips, then inside , down his legs, rub both hinds hips with my other thumb and forefinger, bounce him a little, and just move him through the water, about 15 minutes twice a day every day until he started trying to jump out and biting me cause he hates the water so much.
Now He goes in the bath tub, cuz he cant jump out of there, don't know how he jumps in the first place, and just soaks, then I let the water out and I message him with fleece until he is dry, them put ointment on him where he pees on himself, expressing isnt working right now, he is bruising too easy.
I also made sure he has climbing cages, since walking is just dragging, he would rather be on something he can hang onto and then he braces himself with those hind legs, this strengthened the back legs quite a lot. He still just balances on the more than uses then, but works then and that is the key, keep them moving.:D

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-15-2012, 04:18 PM
I pm'd you my number if anyone thinks I might be able to help. I'd be more than happy to share my experiences with you.

:grouphug Kirby :grouphug
I would love to hear what you have to say

djarenspace9
03-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Shall we do a conference call? :dono

I like the idea of water therapy as long as he doesn't freak out.
So far he has not minded his spa treatments.
It's an excellent method that's proven for humans, dogs, horses, etc.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Simon still freaks out every time but with out it he stinks and his urine burns would have eaten him away by now

djarenspace9
03-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Yet you say he is all sweet and lovey after, so although he dislikes it in the moment, it's not traumatizing him if he forgets it right away.

My Missy and I actually bonded over getting meds.
She absolutely hated it and was not a friendly squirrel when I got her full grown.

When I had to give her meds 2-3 times a day for months she sort of got used to it, though she hated it, and started to seek me out.
I think it's cause I would wrap her in a towel and hold her to do it.

Weird huh?

I always gave her the daily treat right after so at least she'd have a reward to look forward to.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Reward is for us I think more than for them, helps with the guilt. But no as soon as the water is gone and I am drying him he is happier.
I have tried every other way, just putting half of him in the water, doesn't work he is too busy biting me or twisting to bite me. I have tried wiping him down with just wet wash clothes, runs away so I have to hold him down anyway, and he bites me.
Soaking is the only way I can get the urine off him, if I didn't have the urine problem, we wouldn't have any problem

Anne
03-15-2012, 08:18 PM
I use a foot bath when I do therapy. So far I haven't had a squirrel open any veins but I think it has been considered by one or two!
I add hot water and if there are no open wounds-Epsom salts, I turn the jets on and try and lay the squirrel's butt in my left palm and its body up my wrist and lower arm. After a few minutes I massage with my fingers. More massage with a blankie.
I had one baby that would fall asleep in the water, I had to watch that she didn't fall off my arm! Most absolutely hate every second-I have scars!!!!:jump

island rehabber
03-15-2012, 08:25 PM
I have not had to do water therapy but I have bathed my share of squirrels, for sure. I use a 1-quart Won-Ton Soup container. :D It's just the right size for lowering the squirrel's body in the warm water but leaves their head and shoulders up top, edge resting under their little armpits. (Adorable.) Believe it or not, I have not had one complaint about this type of bath -- and no bites! Perhaps there is a way to use this type of container and still encourage the squirrel to move its hind legs for therapeutic purposes? :dono

fire-eyez
03-15-2012, 08:29 PM
another way to strengthen his legs is to have him stand up so the weight is put on his feet....obviously you have to support him but make sure he has some weight going on his legs in a stand up position.....although he can not feel it and it doesn't seem like anything is happening but that actually helps the bones keep strength and works out the muscles which is important you do not want those muscles to disintegrate.:thumbsup

djarenspace9
03-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Hmmmm an idea just started brewing in my head....

What if I had a little harness around his upper body, with a strap in the back from which I can hang him up over the water container.
This would leave both my hands free to maneuver and massage and move his limbs.

:thinking

Anyone else see my vision?

fire-eyez
03-15-2012, 08:38 PM
I see you vision but whether or not it goes how you in vision it is a different story lol

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-15-2012, 08:41 PM
I think he would be too top heavy and would wind up with his face in the water, wriggly things that they are