PDA

View Full Version : Injured foot

skbelt
01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Help,
I rescued a flying squirrel a week ago. It's left front foot is injured, the squirrel does not use it at all. I have it in a med. sized bird cage, it's eating, drinking and sleeping. What do I do with it?

Critter_Queen
01-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Help,
I rescued a flying squirrel a week ago. It's left front foot is injured, the squirrel does not use it at all. I have it in a med. sized bird cage, it's eating, drinking and sleeping. What do I do with it?

You need to get it to a rehabilitator as soon as possible. Squirrel bones set very quickly, so if it's broken, it needs to be set right away.

Here are a couple of rehabbers in Michigan:

Michigan, Central region (Bay City)..... 517-893-8987

Sandy Miner, Wildlife Support Team
Specialty: specialize in birds of prey; flight cage construction
Michigan, Central region, Genesee County (Flint)..... 810-238-4017 or 810-341-1697

Carolyn Fell (director), licensed home wildlife rehabilitator
cearthlink2@earthlink.net
Wildlife Species: all animals accepted except skunks or bats

We also have a rehabber on here from Michigan...Thundersquirrel. She and her mom take in MANY squirrels each year. I'm sure they could help you, too. I'll send a private message to her in hopes she finds this...

Critter_Queen
01-16-2007, 03:39 PM
What are you feeding it?

How big is a "medium size" bird cage? That can be a matter of perspective. :)

skbelt
01-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Critterqueen,
The cage is an 18'' square cage. 18'' high with a peaked top. I picked up some Critter Feed at the local feed store. It's corn, sunflowers and peanuts.
skbelt

muffinsquirrel
01-16-2007, 05:29 PM
If the foot has been broken for a week, it has probably already healed that way. Squirrels heal fast - flyers heal faster! Does he seem to be in pain from it, or is it that he just doesn't use it?

The cage is no where near big enough - he needs at least 1' deep by 2' wide by 3' high if he is to stay there for any length of time. My flyers are in cages that are 30" wide, 18" deep, and 5' tall.

WalMart sells a wild bird food called Nut 'n Berry, and that is what many of the flyer people use as a staple food, available 24/7. In addition, they are given an assortment of fresh fruits and veggies every night - broccoli, kale, apples, sweet potato, mushrooms, etc. - cut into pieces about the size of a quarter or so. Mine get half of a shelled pecan every night, usually fed by hand. I don't know how tame this one is, so if you aren't comfortable feeding by hand, or if he won't take it from you, just put it with the rest of his food. Dannon LaCreme yogurt is also a very good source of calcium. Mine get it 3 or 4 times a week. It would also be good to give him some in-shell nuts to eat to keep his teeth trimmed. Branches are also good for this. If you do not have room for a nest box, use a pouch and hang it from the side of the cage. A Crown Royal pouch is ideal, or a fleece cap from the resale shop. Or just get a square of fleece, safety pin the corners together, and hang that up. Use cotton balls for bedding - just make sure they are 100% cotton.

Make sure he has water available at all times. I use L&M Farms liquid vitamins for mammals - one drop per ounce of water - in the water. Calcium is also very important - you can pick up a cuttle bone at WalMart, in the bird supplies. You can also offer a chicken leg bone, deer antlers, or a calcium block. They also enjoy a small bit of white meat chicken, baked or broiled.

All of this information is in case you have to keep him for any length of time. If you can get him to a rehabber, then do so as soon as possible. If you are considering keeping him, there are two things you need to be aware of - no, three. First, is it legal to keep them in your state? Second, They can live to be 15 years old - are you ready to commit to that? And third, A grown flyer is a wild animal that has had no previous experience with people. He will probably never bond to you like a captive born, hand raised baby will.

If you have any questions, feel free to email or PM me, and I'll do my best to help.

muffinsquirrel

thundersquirrel
01-17-2007, 01:25 PM
where in michigan are you?

thundersquirrel
01-17-2007, 02:04 PM
p.s. i'm not a stalker, you don't have to say exactly where, just the general area. you could PM me about it if you'd rather. i'm just thinking that if we're local i can hook you up with some expert helpers!

skbelt
01-17-2007, 08:23 PM
thundersquirrel,
I'm within a half hour of Grand Rapids, Mich.
skbelt:

skbelt
01-17-2007, 08:41 PM
muffinsquirrel,
Thanks for the food and cage info. the cage I have the little squirrel in is just temporary. I don't plan on keeping it, it's wild and I want to return it to the wild. His foot is injured because the squirrel was caught on a bird feeder and was trying to free itselt by chewing through it's leg. I lived here in the same town all my life and have never seen or heard of flying squirrels in the area before. Now in the past three months I've had encounters with two, the first one wasn't so lucky. I just found this one in time and helped it,by freeing it from a potential death trap. It's cold here, in the teens during the day and single digits at night. I just want to be sure the little thing is going to be okay when I let it go.
Thanks, skbelt

thundersquirrel
01-21-2007, 12:21 PM
just to update-

skbelt and i got into contact and her cousin will be bringing the flyer over here today. i'm very excited to see my first adult flying squirrel, and even more excited to get it the attention it needs.

i'm guessing we'll have him for a day or two, maybe get him an x-ray and antibiotic, then send him to our rehab friend elaine (she's had flyers before). i'll keep everyone (especially skbelt) updated on his progress. :thumbsup

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
01-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Glad that everything is working out. I hope the little guy is able to make a full recovery and return to the wild, but if not, I know he is in good hands!

Critter_Queen
01-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Hey guys!

How did this flier come out?!?!?! I've been so busy I'm out of the loop!

Hope everything went well and the little guy/gal is on the mend.