PDA

View Full Version : Kelly is getting a 5 week old baby

Kelly Brady
03-06-2012, 11:31 AM
After work I am picking up a baby boy around 5 weeks old.

He came in to my vets office with a boo boo on his head. Dr has checked him out and he needs a MOM.
He has been on some kind of formula called Purina something and has loose stool. Surprise surprise.
I can't remember how to swith over to FV. Shouldn't I do it gradually?

Any input greatly appreciated my experienced TSB friends.

I am excited. Lets hope Richard is too:thinking

pappy1264
03-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Awww..... Start him off on pedialyte, for the first 6 hrs-12 hors (depending on how bad the diarrhea is), helps to hydrate and also to flush that crap out of him. Then start him on diluted (4/1) fv, working up the dilution every few feedings, as long as he is handling it.

Kelly Brady
03-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Got it. A big thank you Pappy:bowdown

They say he only has a loose stool but you know how that is????

I will be picking him up at around 5:00 pm.

I will also ask them to give him pedialyte from this point on for me. One of the vet techs ask me what she wanted me to do as she know I only use FV.

Hugs to you and Angel from Richard and I:grouphug

pappy1264
03-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you! Good luck!!! Ya know, with a single, you got to give extra lovins'....think you are up for it??? lol

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-06-2012, 02:24 PM
you may want to put some yobaby yogurt in the formula to help with the soar inners and switch.
Don't know what others would do, but thats what I have been doing with mine.
One day with , one day with out. Their poop is much nicer with:D

Kristin Ward
03-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Congrats Kelly on your new baby. I'm sure he'll do great w/ you. I watched your video w/ Richard yesterday, He's quite the cute character too! I've got that baby fever again too. Course I hope for 1 or 2 and then the skies open. One at a time is perfect. Good luck to you and your new little one:jump

Kelly Brady
03-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Pappy I hear you on the extra lovins. My husband says Richard is all mine and he can't wait to snuggle a baby that likes him. Ha ha ha. i will do the feeding and poops and pee's and Scott will help with the snuggles and loving

SSM Thank you indeed I did pick up the yogurt before I got him. He is adorable. He has a big scuff off of the top of his head with a scab. It looks like it is healing beautifully.

Pedialyte is really making him mad so I gave him his third round of that a bit ago and will try 4 to 1 FV later on tonight with yogurt. He acts starving. When he takes the nipple he sings. I swear it sounds like singing. Even when he is snuggling he makes a singing noise. I have names coming to me:D

Kristen I have missed babies too. I love the softness and sweetness of tiny babies. My daughter is holding wee one while I give Richard the proper attention. You are correct about be careful what you wish for. When I asked for a baby last year I got um seven:dono :dono

Kristin Ward
03-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Hope the new baby is doing well this morning. I wished for one baby and got seven last time too. Must be the lucky squirrel #. Good luck wish your new baby.

Sarabi
03-07-2012, 08:33 AM
:wave123 Pictures.....

Kelly Brady
03-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Kristen that is so funny that we both got that many. I was so tired from working and taking care of kids that I thought I would take some time off from babies. I can't do it. I love them too much.

So I am asking for opinions on my lil boy. He has a good scuff on top of his head which I believe has affected his eye on that side. Take a look at the pics. My vet is out of town this week but the stand in debried his head wound but gave no medicine. All of the folks on their call list could not take this guy due to spring break etc. He was going to put him down. I have ahard time even typing that.

It looks like he is winking at you as the left eye does not open fully. Thus the name from my kids old time story Winken and Blinken. In my pics below he looks even more shut eyed because he was sleepy but I am wondering if I should start precautionary AB's?????

I have sulfa trim with me today. He is 59 grams this morning and finally I have some solid poop this morning. He finally got a 4:1 FV at 3:00 am this morning. I kept the pedialyte going with his loose stool through the evening. He gladly accepted 4 cc's.

Strong baby boy. All fours moving equally and strong. Advice gladly accepted on wether that looks like AB's should be started. No one knows his story. No one knows how he was injured. He was found that way.

Should this thread be moved to nursery? Not sure where we should be.:wave123

Kelly Brady
03-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Would help to attach pics..:D

JLM27
03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Awwwww. Poor little guy. But now he has a Mommy!

stosh2010
03-07-2012, 09:10 AM
He's a beaut
...and he weighs what CRUISER did when I got him...
--They GROW sooooo fast.

Kristin Ward
03-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Why would they put him down, he looks healthy to me accept for the bump on his noggen. You might try flushing his eye with saline eye drops. If it seems very painful to him (maybe that's why he shuts it) he may have a corneal abrasion. That usually requires special drops. He may just have girt in it and will clear up on it's own. I would ask the squirrel guru (Jackie) for her thoughts. I'll look to see if I have any dog eye drops. If I due, your welcome to them. Keep us posted:flash3

Kelly Brady
03-07-2012, 12:26 PM
JLM I love being a squirrel Mom as much as being a human Mom:D

Stosh just a couple of weeks ago I was jealous of your tiny one with FV smell and I got my own FV little one. They grow entirely too fast:thinking

Kristen, It is not my vet in there this week but the only thing I can think of is they couldn't get anyone on their list to take him. I was on hold for babies until after I go to see my grandaughter the end of this month but they tried me anyway. I work in the optical industry and did flush his little eye with solution but I think it may be swollen from the bump on top of his head. I am going to have Jackie take a look at the pics. Thanks so very much.

Sarabi
03-07-2012, 12:29 PM
:bowdown :bowdown Thank-you!!! Squigible:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

island rehabber
03-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Kelly, two thoughts:

is it possible he is merely in the act of opening his eyes right now, and that's why one is half-closed? He looks the right size and age for that, but I'm thinking northern EGS's....at his size in FL he may be much older. Just a thought...

Also: that head wound worries me. The puffyness around the hole looks like it may have been an abcess, or may yet develop into one. Is the whole area swollen or flat?

O yeah, and he is adorable! :Love_Icon

Kelly Brady
03-07-2012, 12:46 PM
That is what concerns me IR The tech said he came in with both eyes open. He looks to me to be about 5 weeks. A little smaller than usual but who knows what circumstances he was under. He did come in to the vets office on Monday and a tech took him home to feed him this stupid Purina formula.
He was very sleepy when I took those pics and the one good eye opens quite well but the bump on the left side of his head makes the left eye even look lower set to me. There is swelling it looks like just below the left eye as well.

The bump is raised and it has a hole in the center. It is scabbed but I have soaked it in warm water to see if any secretions come out. Nothing.

That left eye and that bump just really concern me. All I have is sulfa trim but have plenty of it. He is a real spunk otherwise in his actions and strength with an appetite to beat all. He took 5 1/2 cc at 10:30.

Kelly Brady
03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
That third picture down shows how his hair is missing in a line from the top of his eye reaching upward.

It really is not clear but the camera is barely taking pics these days.

That wound almost looks like a bot in the center. It is raised as well I think you ask that:thinking

island rehabber
03-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Kelly I would start him on the sulfatrim just in case, and give Benebac or acidophilus at the same time to balance his gut flora. If it's a beginning abcess maybe that will halt its progress. I don't like to hear that about the eye....as if something scratched him from eye to top of his head...:(

Kelly Brady
03-07-2012, 01:14 PM
I am happy to hear that someone else thinks I should treat with AB's. I feel like we should but sometimes I am a over the top worry wart and need to be put in my place:D

Next question is how to dose sulfa for my little boy. This morning he had gained 2 grams and was 59 grams.

I have sulfa susp 240mg/5ml.

Jackie in Tampa
03-07-2012, 06:09 PM
I sent via email:)
Your PM box is fulltinfoil

Kristin Ward
03-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi kelly, antibiotics seem like a good idea just to be safe. LOL for your little boy, will keep him in my prayers. hang in there, he'll do just fine.mjs

Kelly Brady
03-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks IR, Jackie and Kristin,

He got his first dose of AB's just last night so there is really no change in the top of the head or eye. No change though for the better or worse. I put neosporin on it and he burrows around in his blankies and rubs it right off. I'm trying to keep it open for drainage if it can drain or needs to drain.

I gave him his first weight check on Tuesday night at 57g he only had pedialyte in him.

This mornings "belly is empty" weight was 63g. I think this little one is gonna be a BIG boy.

Kristin Ward
03-08-2012, 08:36 PM
hope your baby is doing well today. will check the board tomorrow for updatesmjs

Kelly Brady
03-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi Kristen:wave123 Thanks so much for asking about little Winken. He is winking at me all the time with that eye.:D

This morning and JUST this morning he looks entirely different. After removing the scab on his head and keeping neosporin on it and his antibiotics in now for over 24 hours, the wound looks wonderful. Almost flat to the head. His eye is actually opening up today as well. :multi

He is spunky and happy and generally looks 100% better. I am so happy we started these ab's. I will take pictures this weekend and show the difference on Monday. I have also been flushing the eye with solution as well. I am giving him probiotics and poop is still firm.

His appetite is amazing. He did go down to 4 to 5 ccs after we went full strength on the FV. but he is tolerating well and up to a whopping 67 g's this morning.

I think this injury coupled with malnutrition may have temporarily stunted his growth but he is taking off now. Oh and of course I am in love.:Love_Icon

BTW Richard had a smell of him and seemed very curious but was very well behaved around the newcomer. No grunts or swats or aggresion. I wanted Richard to know what was in that container. Richard should be ok he lived at squirrel central for quite a while for gosh sake. He was surrounded by fuzz balls there.:wott

I held the little buggar for snuggle time last night and told my husband that my greatest reward in my life is being able to save a little fuzzy life and be a stand in MOM.

island rehabber
03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
:Love_IconWinken:Love_Icon
KB I am SO happy he's doing so much better! Isn't it amazing how AB's work when they are truly needed? He must have had infection running from that eye to the top of his head. :(
He certainly found himself the right squirrel-lovin' infirmary....:grouphug

Kristin Ward
03-09-2012, 10:40 AM
So glad to here :grouphug winken is healing so fast. He's lucky to have you for his mommy.

Kristin Ward
03-09-2012, 06:38 PM
P.S. winken is a really cool name for your little man!:jump

Kelly Brady
03-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Hey Kristin and IR:wave123 thanks to you both for the help with first baby of the season.

Kristin, his name suits him and do you happen to have ever heard the childrens story winken blinken and nod? It is precious and came from that wonderful fable. My kids helped with that one:thumbsup

This morning he is already 72 grams and the scab is almost completely gone.
the eye is opening more each day. Still not 100% open but close. He is an easy breezy wonderful baby boy. Getting to the point he is playing now.

When are you getting your first baby of the season Kristin? ah ha now I jinxed ya:thumbsup don't worry your Mom will help:D

Kristin Ward
03-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Kelly, I'm gonna look for that book, sounds cute. How's Winken and Richard getting along? I'm still waiting for my first baby (1) this year. Two would be OK :nono just not seven. (I'd have to call you to help out):jump

Kelly Brady
03-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Winken Blinken and Nod can be found on the internet or so my daughter says. My Mom told the fable to me before bed many nights, but it is lengthy. My kids wanted it every night so I condensed it. Now my daughter is doing winken blinken for her 6 month old:D Circle of life:grouphug

As far as many babies? I got myself in over my head last year with my full time job in human resources and odles of babies. My bosses are wonderful but I told them one at a time next year. We all agreed it was too much. Wish I would have said two at a time but the feeding really burns up a lot of time:thinking So Winken it is.
Richard has been allowed to smell and come close to the baby with my hand right there but I am very cautious at least until winken learns to swat in self defense:the_wife So far Richard is kind and sweet Richard :)

island rehabber
03-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I remember the poem, Wynken Blynken & Nod...one of my aunts used to read it to me and I loved it. Probably because it was about the sea. Here you go:

http://www3.amherst.edu/~rjyanco94/literature/eugenefield/poems/poemsofchildhood/wynkenblynkenandnod.html

Kelly Brady
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for finding it IR.

Reading that full version brings back memories. My Mom new the entire thing by heart. When it says, I shall name you the fisherman three winkyn blinkyn and nod. Winkyn and blinkyn are two little eyes (she would close each eye one at a time with her finger). Then Nod is the little head (she would rub her hand over the forehead. Then the ship that sailed the wee ones home was the wee ones trundle bed (she would rock the bed). Then on the close your eyes part she of course would close your eyes gently with her hand which just put you over the edge to sleep.
This is the tradition I kept with my kids. I cheated and condensed mine though.

I never new the spelling was with a yn at the end though.

Gina
03-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Can't wait to see pictures of little Winken:grouphug Glad Richard likes him...he can be a big brother and teach Winken all his favorite tricks. :D

Kelly Brady
03-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Hi Gina,

Yea Richard can show him all the tricks is right. God help me:D

Here are the latest pics of Winken. He is doing so much better and look at that left eye fully open this morning:multi

He weighs 95 grams this morning and the eye is just now opening fully so i will continue ab's for a few more days. The hair on his head is starting to grow back. Then Hubby took a pic of his chubby little belly this weekend. He had been sleepin in my robe pocket:D

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-13-2012, 07:43 PM
What a cutie :D

redwuff
03-13-2012, 09:44 PM
gosh Kelly,

Winken is just the little man! What a cutie. Glad you got the eye and head thing worked out. Does he go to work with you?

Trysh

Kelly Brady
03-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks SSM. I have yet to find a baby squirrel that does not melt my heart. Little Winken has his own personality for sure. Likes
to play with the nipple while eating. He pulls it all the way out with his two hands and then shoves it back in to his mouth to devour it. Does this many times during feeding even though he is really hungrey. He has to stop to play.

Hey there redwuff. How the heck are ya:wave123 Really enjoyed talking with you at the gathering. I am having a ball with this new baby. Life is complete with FV on the kitchen counter and the heating pad fired up:jump

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-16-2012, 06:24 PM
He looks the same size as my girls!!
Boy they grow fast... Peaches doesnt have time to play when it come to food,, she is all business:rotfl
ZuZu on the other hand is my slow cautious eater, too busy looking around, what that ...whats that...

redwuff
03-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Hey Kelly, I think that you are mighty selfish keeping that baby to yourself.

WE NEED MORE PICTURES!!!:jump

Kelly Brady
03-18-2012, 01:57 PM
SSM - it is a riot how little Winken plays while eating. When he is done he likes to just nibble on the nipple and he does play with it while he is eating. He also makes the cutest noise while he eats almost like humming. He likes to hear himself.

Redwuff- I am taking pictures tonight to post. He is growing so fast and hair already growing back on top of his head. I am happy to share pics of the little pumkin.

Richard is all mine and he loves me. He is kind to everyone in the house but he is MY boy, so Scott loves the babies. My hubby loves it when I get babies. he will feed but usually i am the feed and potty person and he gets a lot of snuggle and play time. :rotfl

Kelly Brady
03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Here are pictures but they aren't the best. It is hard taking pictures yourself and my little Winken was so sleepy.
He is getting so squirrely and playful.

Hair is regrowing on head and he is adorable. Richard is cautiously watching him.
Weighing in at 120 grams is little baby Winken:D

Kelly Brady
04-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Ok then to get caught up a bit. In light of the amount of time Richard has taken this past week and the fact that my husband (who has been Winkens snuggler and best friend) will be out of town for the entire month of April, Winken has gone to Jackie in Tampa.

Poor Winken was a singleton and so is poor Chance at JIT's house.

So Grinn stopped by and picked up Winken and took him to Jackies house for me this weekend. I cried. Scott cried. The house misses him so much.

The only one in the house that does NOT miss Winken is RICHARD.
He was really not happy with the smell of Winken on my hands or clothes. I think Richard would have been fine if not for the truamatic thing he has been through and he really just needed all of me and still will for a while ( like the rest of his life):D Spoiled little boy.

Jackie informs me that Winken and Chance are playing together and sleeping snuggled together and all is well with them.

I will be watching the squirrel central thread for updates on baby Winken.
Jackie you are the best. What would we do without you??????

Richard says...."Hey Aunt Jackie, please keep that little fuzzy kid that kept taking my Moms attention. Austa la vista Winken. Love you sweet squirrelly Mom." Love, Richard

Jackie in Tampa
04-09-2012, 05:07 PM
I am running late with these pics!..
will make it up Kelly!
Winken and Baby Chance!...goose bumps..
sweet little pistols!
both of them are hamms!
Winken is still vocal..
Chance still favors his mouth once in a while, it looks 100% normal..
never have figured it out..??:dono

Butter Butts!

Kelly Brady
04-10-2012, 08:27 AM
It is SO good to see Winken and Chance together. Thank you so much for pictures JIT.

My how Winken has grown. You can really notice that eye droop as he gets older too.
Do you feel like his eye is any problem? I know he can see out of it but wondered if as he is growing he seems to mind it.

They are adorable. That one pic of him looks like he is smiling a BIG smile. Of course he is, he is at SQUIRREL CENTRAL.:D :grouphug :D

Bless his little heart, I miss him but he has a buddy now.

Jackie in Tampa
04-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Winken is alpha...he slammed the door as he came in!!:rotfl
His eye seems to be no problem:thumbsup
he is fast fast and good senses..
I am not seeing that it is slowing him down..
he has vision, just watching to make sure that skin isn't a problem..
he may need a nip tuck...but so far all seems good!:thumbsup
The true test will be when they get out into the general populaton sq room..jumping from sq tree to cage to chandalier to cage to ground etc..
:crazy
his attitude is great! :Love_Icon
I love brothers, they are hilarious to watch play..
never a care in the world..all about fun!:crazy

Love you RRRB!:Love_Icon

Jackie in Tampa
04-18-2012, 02:26 PM
THE New man cave!:D
Winken and Chance moved into their mid sized cage..
they are taking 15 plus ccs twice a day, an HHB , and a big bowl of veggies with a couple hazelnuts as nite nite treats!
Good boys!:Love_Icon

Kelly Brady
04-19-2012, 03:52 PM
OMG my little Winken is all grown up.

It was so good to see him this week JIT. He is still so vocal it is charming.

You did it. You moved them in to the big cage. They're a movin on up. I just love that left eye droop of Winkens.

Have fun Chance and Winken :D Kelly loves you both.

Thanks so much for pictures, I just love them.

Jackie in Tampa
05-08-2012, 06:40 AM
a few quicky pics...
the kids are doing great..Chance is wilder crazier than Winken, but they are both hell fire riots in sq suits...they steal all my smiles.
Kelly my sq room is seriously roomy these days...I am hoping to get my other big tree inside soon...our little boys will be moving from their flight cage to a big cage on wheels..they have alot of outta cage time and pretty much cover all open territory...they chase Willie and Snickers...they are carefree spirits right now...totally extreme!
They're a hoot!
and the last of my babies.....
growing weeds!:grouphug

island rehabber
05-08-2012, 06:51 AM
omigosh look at that squirrelly smile in the first pic! Aaaaak!!! :Love_Icon

Kelly Brady
05-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Oh man was this a treat to turn the computer on this morning.

The two of them are precious. Chance and his smile and Winken always lookin like he is winking at ya.

Bless his heart. We will never know but I wonder what did that to his eye???

At least he is not hindered by it. Thanks for pics JIT. I will show to the family tonight.

Those two have Squirrel Central almost all to themselves:dono What lucky little monkeys they are.:bowdown Hugs and kisses Winky boy and bro Chance.

The Brady bunch loves you both very much:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon And squammy JIT too!!!!!

Jackie in Tampa
05-19-2012, 06:42 AM
no time to write...here are the monkeys!

edit...the peanuts were a fluke, a rare occasion, as I do not feed the insiders peanuts!

Kelly Brady
05-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I love love love pictures and Winken.

My heart is so happy to see Winken and Chance laying on each other in that pic.

The whole family just came in to see baby Winken pictures. Lots of ew and ahh's and sooooo cute coming your way.

I also sent a pic to Dr. Z's office where Winkin came from. Rabin the tech said he was her retarded boy. I said don't call him that and look at him now and nothing about him was retarded. Hate that word:shakehead

Can't believe the stand in Vet considered putting Winken to sleep:shakehead
Dear God my butt got in that car real quick.

We love pics JIT thanks so much.:Love_Icon

Jackie in Tampa
05-20-2012, 06:25 AM
he occasionally still grunts...little piggie boy!:D :Love_Icon