PDA

View Full Version : Greetings all

Findtime
03-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Kim and our young red's name is Sandy Cheeks (cheesy, I know. Lol.) and we live in Canada.

We had a new roof put on the house the summer before last and, clearly, they didn't put some things back where they belonged. We heard some intermittent noises in what I had assumed were the vents last August, thought it was mice, and placed some traps.
Nothing.
I then did bunch of research followed by a call to an exterminator to inquire as to what our next steps were and were considering arranging for an inspection. We were sitting in the living room a couple of days later, I looked over at the basement stairs and noticed a tail.. it did NOT belong to our cat. I couldn't even speak. Lol. We jumped up to check and there was this tiny little baby red squirrel who had climbed up the basement stairs to join us. She had fallen from the space surrounding the vent pipe in the basement ceiling. There was insulation everywhere. Lol. Thats why we thought the noise was coming from the vents.
It's been an ongoing learning experience ever since.

My first thought was to release her outside (I wasn't going to put her back into the ceiling nor encourage the squirrel family to move in to the main part of the house :dono ) but I wanted to do some research first. Thank goodness.
The way I see it is she adopted us. Lol.

She was young and so tiny when she found us (full hair but tail wasn't yet bushy) but because she's a red, she's tiny anyway. I figure she was 5 or 6 weeks old. She was relieving herself without assistance and had some teeth. We gave her veggies, fruit, blocks and Esbilac formula twice per day.

I vascillate between planning to release and keeping her, as we're in a subdivision not a country setting. My concern is that she doesn't make strange with anyone. Anyone that visits is her friend (and her tree when she's running around the house). What's going to happen when someone is walking down the street and this crazy squirrel climbs up their leg and sits on their head?
I'm not sure what to do and I'd love some advice/suggestions from all of you to help with the decision. I want to do what's best for her, but at this point, I'm not sure what that is.

Anyway, this is a great site and I've enjoyed all the reading and learning. Time to start participating!

I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-04-2012, 09:23 AM
HI Glad you found Us!!!
We don't have reds where I live but I hear they in a category all their own.
Please post some pictures!!! WE LOVE PICTURES!!!

It sounds like to me she is too friendly to release right now.
Some of the experts will be on to tell you what you need to do.

Ladyshires
03-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Welcome and I loved your story. This place is a tree of knowledge, so the experts will be contributing shortly. Your girl sounds so sweet.... glad she found you.

Findtime
03-04-2012, 10:27 AM
I will definitely post pictures. I actually have some video, too. She's such a monkey, I've almost got too much video. Lol. I'll upload some of them to youtube and post the links. :-)

astra
03-04-2012, 10:40 AM
:Welcome

It's great to have another Canadian person here.

Oh, the eternal question of release/not to release.

1. Technically, all healthy squirrel babies when they grow up should be released or be given a chance to.
HOWEVER,

a) you mentioned a cat. Is she used to the cat now?...
If she is used to the cat, that's not good - cats and dogs are squirrel predators and kill them in the wild. If she does not have her natural fear of cats and dogs, that will be her death sentence when she is released.

b) if she is that friendly, then, yes, there is a risk of her being too friendly to strangers.

Does that mean that she cannot be released ever?

Well,

a) if you stop her interaction with a cat completely now, there is a chance that she might regain her fear back. BUt it is only a chance - some regain and some don't.

b) if you stop her interaction with other people now, there is a chance that she might stop being so friendly with strangers.
Again - some do and some don't.

c) you could try and look for a wildlife rehabber in your area who will agree to take her and release. BUT

--- a lot of rehabbers (speaking from experience) won't take a squirrel unless it is from his/her area;
---if they think that the squirrel is too used to humans/domestic pets and they feel that cannot be changed, they will consider it non-releasable and may end up euthanizing it (as per law)
---someone I know had to lie about their little red baby so that a rehabber would take it
--- not all rehabbers are trustworthy in the way they keep their animals etc (sad, but true)
--- another potential problem with giving her to someone you do not know is : if she decides she does not want to be released (=comes back), she might not have anyone to come back to, because rehabbers are not to keep non-releasable wildlife....
That's the benefit of releasing yourself - that just in case, your squirrel can always come back to you if anything happens or if it decides that indoors is better.

Even though you are in subdivision, apparently, there are red squirrels living in your neighborhood. Do you see them?...
Maybe, there is a way for you to release her where you are? Or at least try?

As you can see, although, yes, all wild animals belong in the wild, the answers are not as easy when it comes to the rehabbed babies and all he variables that start popping up depending on circumstances.

But ultimately, it has to be her decision:

Since right now you do not have a rehabber who would take her, nor do you think your place is a good release place, AND if she is used to your cat,
it might be best to just keep her for now.

BUT you need to watch and follow her cues.
If she starts showing signs of wilding up, you will need to respect that.
Some of the signs of wildling up are: being increasingly restless, aggressive, biting, pacing, anxious etc. And we are not talking about occasional moodiness or some temporary hormonal episodes. When she becomes consistently like that - it's time for her to go.

THEREFORE, since there is a chance that she might start wilding up, keep her completely separate from your cat from now on (if she has not been) and do not let her interact with other people from now on. That will increase her chances of successful release if she does decide she wants to go.

Moreover, I would keep her out of other people's sight for another reason:

keeping wildlife in ON is illegal.
Your friends might be well-meaning and all, but not everyone knows that and now everyone can watch what they say all the time.
if someone blurts out that you have a squirrel and someone else - some busy-body or concerned neighbor or some do-gooder - decides that they need to intervene, they will report you. She will be seized and euthanized.

So, it will be in her best interests- both release-wise and otherwise -not to be exposed to other people so that no one else knows she exists.
There have been situations when people's neighbors were vocally upset about someone keeping a squirrel at home because they felt that said squirrel could attack them or do damage to their house and other such things.

We have people here who are very familiar with red squirrels and keeping them happy.
And I am sure, other people will share their thoughts, too.

Do you have any pics?:poke :)

astra
03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
As I said, there are ppl here whose squirrels decided to stay inside, so it can happen, but there are a few things to be aware of:

1. most squirrels, when they mature, become a one-person animal. Meaning, they choose one person to bond with and openly dislike the rest. That means, that the rest will be met with hostility, aggression, open dislike and even bites.

2. squirrels, especially, red squirrels need constant stimulation and entertainment and attention. They get bored easily.
So, you have to keep them entertained constantly, play with them, interact, new toys, new games etc.

3. DIET! That's one of the greatest challenges of keeping a squirrel.
Wrong diet leads to multiple health problems, often fatal.
She needs quality blocks daily + a nice variety of good veggies. Fruit and nuts are treats only. Good safe wild foods.
Please check all stickies in the Nutrition Forum http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191, especially, Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32218.

4. You did not mention, so I will have to ask:
Does she have a full run of your house, or just one room?
Full house might be dangerous unless you squirrel-proofed it all.
Whatever room she has for her out of cage time, it must be squirrel-proofed: ALL cords and wires SECURELY covered (squirrels easily get electrocuted), no house plants - most of them are poisonous, no crooks and narrow spaces where she can get stuck, nothing tiny that she can accidentally ingest, nothing potentially toxic within her reach (and almost everything is within a squirrel's reach ;)), no lotions/potions/creams/vitamins/meds/ etc - they can chew through and ingest etc etc etc
VERY IMPORTANT - ALL toilet seats down at ALL times + get ladders http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30728 - too many tragedies happen before you know it.

5. Could you post pics of her cage and set up - our experts might make suggestions if any improvements are needed (with their expert eye)

6. You could start her own thread and post regular updates AND PHOTOS for everyone to enjoy.:poke :) in Red Squirrel Forum: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

astra
03-04-2012, 11:21 AM
As I said, there are ppl here whose squirrels decided to stay inside, so it can happen, but there are a few things to be aware of:

1. most squirrels, when they mature, become a one-person animal. Meaning, they choose one person to bond with and openly dislike the rest. That means, that the rest will be met with hostility, aggression, open dislike and even bites.

just want to clarify: not ALL squirrels get that way, but MOST squirrels do.
So, it's good to be prepared for it and adjust (that's what people have to do - they just adapt and adjust ;)). And not take it personally - squirrels do not mean it, they still love everyone but they cannot help being squirrels.:grouphug :)

rocky63
03-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Hello Findtime :Welcome to TSB :wave123 :wave123
Love the Reds :crazy PICTURES PLEASE :poke

Findtime
03-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Whew. That's lots of great information!! :thankyou

I actually checked our town's bylaws with regards to wild animals that you are not permitted to own (if anyone actually "owns" a squirrel) and squirrels were not mentioned at all - although other types of rodents were - so I'm hoping the law is more municipal than provincial. I'll definitely investigate further, though. We have an exotic vet in Bowmanville that deals with squirrels on occasion, so that isn't a concern, but I definitely don't want anyone to try to take her away. If she leaves here it will be on her own terms, not theirs.

I'm very careful with what I feed her, paying close attention to the calcium/phosphorus ratio and fat content of the fruit and veggies she's allowed to eat. She also gets calcium supplements (gel caps squeezed into the fruit she gets to ensure she eats it) and she gets Mazuri rodent blocks. She's got cuttlebone and antlers to chew on (both of which she ignores completely), pinecones (that she loves), fallen tree branches, rosehips in the fall etc etc... She's also under a full spectrum light to ensure she gets the proper light exposure she needs every day.

Regarding the cats, she has never actually come into physical contact with either of them. They're locked away when we let her out, but the one who is fascinated by her (wants to be her friend) is constantly sleeping by her cage and she shows no fear whatsoever when he's near her. The only time she ever darts at him is when he's looking into her cage if she's in her nest. That's her territory, and no one is allowed to encroach on it. Lol. I was putting a sock buddy in there one day without thinking, and she started darting at that, too. Ahh, we thoughtless humans. Lol.
She doesn't have her own room. Unfortunately, space doesn't permit. When she's out, she's supervised, although everything that can get her into trouble, is put away, and all bathroom, office and bedroom doors are closed. She is not allowed to chew on the furniture and it has, honestly, never been a problem, thank goodness. She has lots of things to keep her amused when she's out. :)
|In her cage, she has toys, climbing perches (primarily designed for birds) a running wheel that she uses constantly (the kind that attaches to the side of her cage with no bar for her to catch her paws in) and her cage is a tri-level ferret cage.
Outside of the cage, she plays with the cat toys and the scratching post/perch that they use and, of course, runs and climbs everything. Lol.

The only thing, at this point, that I just discovered we're doing wrong is cedar chips for the bottom of her cage. I was putting newspaper in and thought the cedar chips were a better choice, not ever suspecting that they'd present a problem. That's going to change.

Otherwise, so far so good. At this point, my main concern is release which I won't even consider until the spring. There are definitely other squirrels in the area (we see her mother regularly outside the house - another little red who's constantly climbing on the house). We're still watching her behaviour and trying to determine the best way to go, even as far as a release location. The original plan was to release her here, so she always has this as a safe place. That way we can ensure she always has food and shelter outside if she needs it. We just don't want her lack of fear of humans to be her demise.
Still a long way to go! Lol.

Findtime
03-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Here a two pictures from just after we found her. I'll post more a bit later. I have to edit them... they're too big. Lol.

HRT4SQRLS
03-04-2012, 01:52 PM
:wave123 Findtime

Wow, sounds like Sandy Cheeks mom has been doing her homework. :thumbsup
I love her name! What a beautiful little girl! Looking forward to seeing her big girl pics. Welcome to TSB.

astra
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
She is precious!!!!! MOre photos, please.:)

As for release - if she is not afraid of that cat who sleeps by her cage, you cannot release her. She should be afraid of cats first. Otherwise, the first outside cat will kill her.
Yes, keep them apart at least physically, because cat saliva is deadly. Even a scratch/nip in play might end sadly.

As for laws and by-laws, please, believe me - they are all worded in most tricky ways, but I know for sure - keeping a wild squirrel is illegal in Ontario.
So, better be safe than sorry. Hopefully, your vet must be trustworthy and reliable if s/he agrees to see her - b/c again, by law vets must seize all illegal wildlife.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
03-04-2012, 02:50 PM
WHY DON"T WE HAVE REDS IN FLORIDA:hissyfit
sorry I'm ok now
She is beautiful.
What do you get when a squirrel crosses the desert at at Christmas time.

Sandy Paws :jump :jump :jump

Findtime
03-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Lol. Definitely a squirrely bunch here. :D I know, I know... GROAN!! Lol.

I've added a couple more pictures of her.

I did check out the bylaws in greater detail and you're right, Astra. Fortunately, I have not had cause to take her to the vet yet. I just made sure there was one in the area in case I needed to, and now that will only happen if it's an absolute emergency. The poor girl has never ever even been outside, for goodness sake, so I can't imagine what would happen if they took her and just dumped her off or, heaven forbid, put her down. The thought of it breaks my heart. We're going to have to be much more careful. As I said, she leaves here on her own terms and I've always hoped, if we release, that she would hang around the area and remain an extended family member, so to speak.
She's my girl, you know?

Thanks for the great welcome everyone!!

Kim

Nancy in New York
03-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Well I am partial to reds.....and she is a beauty for sure.
Who would have ever thought that you can love a little squirrel so much? And if you were to tell me that I would have a red living free roam in my house....I would have bet you anything that would never happen....:rotfl
I'm so glad that you found this board and are sharing Sandy with us....what a little doll.:grouphug :grouphug
Is she molting on her head in the first picture? (The ones that you just put up)

Findtime
03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks, Nancy. :)

Nope. Not molting...just my crappy picture taking skills. Lol.

gs1
03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
:Welcome ontario law is harsh. (good reason to move to Quebec).

Astra has said it all and very, very well as usual :thumbsup

good to know another canadian :Welcome

Jackie in Tampa
03-05-2012, 04:16 PM
:Welcome :wave123

SquirrelCav
03-05-2012, 04:21 PM
:Welcome to TSB!

- Jay

VangLaurel
03-06-2012, 02:08 AM
Hello everyone!
I'm Jody. Nice to meet you.
I love squirrels and as a matter of fact I'm going to take care of one. Any ideas where can I get one?
________
m4a to mp3 (http://m4atomp3converter.org/)
:wave123

Findtime
03-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for the warm welcome. :Love_Icon