PDA

View Full Version : Simon is loosing it Help!!

Sweet Simon's Mommy
02-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Simon is loosing it.
Growling biting lunging. I was afraid of this, he was on the wild side anyway, and am glad I was able to tame him as much as I have, he loved being pet and played with us inside his cage.
He either has a nut I don't know about in his cube or he has decided that both of us are longer worthy of his affections.
Each day is getting worse. He used to love to get on my shoulder and ride around with me, now he jumps on me but doesn't climb around he gets onto the floor and it an hour chase to catch him.
Growling alot more too. I keep saying his outside time should stop, he gets about 1/2 an hour, but I dont want him out there at all.
He is spending way too much time along because he just doesn't want any thing to do with us any more.
What do I do at this point???
I am tempted to just let him go play in the yard and find out how hard it will be for him, and hope he comes home "Sorry Mom I had no idea!!! I'll be a sweet and grateful boy for now on"
He wouldn't last a day with his legs.
Maybe its a the spring fever doing this , he should be about 8 to 9 months now.
What should I do??
Could it be he doesn't like the smell of the babies on my hands??

djarenspace9
02-28-2012, 08:05 PM
8 months is usually when males mature sexually.
I've seen it happen with males around that age.
Give him time to settle down and just make sure you keep him and yourselves safe from harm.

astra
02-28-2012, 08:07 PM
it could be a combination of things:

the spring fever=hormones

if you have the babies smell - don't! Most people use completely different set of clothes, wash and even shower thoroughly before moving from one batch of squirrels to the next. Definitely, have a separate set of clothes for Simon and the rest, and wash and shower, if needed, to get rid of the smell.

No, he won't learn his lesson out there, he just won't make it.

Another thing - maybe, put your t-shirt in his cage?... usually, it is done with new squirrels, but, maybe, it could help him re-adjust again and get more used to you again?

Any other possible new smells on you?

Margie
02-28-2012, 08:09 PM
With Simon being a NR, I wouldn't put him outside to wild up especially during mating season. I'm keeping Stormy Lee indoors. Less likelyhood of her getting wild if she's not exposed to the sights and smells of the things that will make her want to go wild, when she can't be. Also, she isn't given enough nuts to stash. She gets A nut occasionally, or a piece of a nut, which she eats immediately. She has pecans ground up in her squirrel cookies. With no stash, there is no stash to defend. She is about 7 1/2 to 8 months old now and still as sweet as can be.

astra
02-28-2012, 08:11 PM
With Simon being a NR, I wouldn't put him outside to wild up especially during mating season. I'm keeping Stormy Lee indoors. Less likelyhood of her getting wild if she's not exposed to the sights and smells of the things that will make her want to go wild, when she can't be. Also, she isn't given enough nuts to stash. She gets A nut occasionally, or a piece of a nut, which she eats immediately. She has pecans ground up in her squirrel cookies. With no stash, there is no stash to defend. She is about 7 1/2 to 8 months old now and still as sweet as can be.
:goodpost

pappy1264
02-28-2012, 08:13 PM
As already stated, a combination of hormones, and the new babies. Even if you change clothes, he can still smell them in the house. It is hard, but give him a little time to settle down, it usually passes. No, you cannot allow him outside, as you stated, he will never make it and that will only make him worse.

SammysMom
02-28-2012, 08:21 PM
This is so familiar! Sammy had a meltdown a month or so ago, but he has since gotten over it. He was horrible for a few weeks. We had to wear gloves inside the house or he would bite us horribly.
We just tolerated it and then one day POOF! it had passed. He is now sweeter than ever. I have to say that there were some threats (by my husband) that he would be outside looking in if he didn't knock it off :sanp3
Wait it out. It will pass. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

djarenspace9
02-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Sounds like Boy-Squirrel PMS!!!!

Sweet Simon's Mommy
02-28-2012, 08:31 PM
I have always been able to put my hand in his cube, he will hold onto it and not let go, just in the last couple of days, this has changed, it has to be the babies, I had just put them back and stuck my hand in, I warm him I am coming first.
He let me start to pet him and WAM, teeth and nails and spitting and growling.
It has to be the baby smell.
I dont give him any nuts except late and he usually eat it.
There could be remnants of some nut, in there.
I'll try washing baby smell off first next time.

SammysMom
02-28-2012, 08:34 PM
It's the "jerky male" phase :jump :D :jump

djarenspace9
02-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Also try and see if Rescue Remedy will tone him down a bit.

SammysMom
02-28-2012, 08:47 PM
YES! I forgot that RR worked on Sammy! I hosed the little fool's big old back feet while he climbed and gnawed the cage and clattered his little choppers...:D

Sweet Simon's Mommy
02-28-2012, 08:48 PM
OK I did get the recuse remedy and rubbed it on his ear and he went crazy, did not calm down, he went nuts!!!
It says 4 drops in the water or on a treat.
He isnt eating much of anything the last couple of days, this boy is very unhappy.

SammysMom
02-28-2012, 09:13 PM
I spritzed his back feet and waited a few minutes. Good luck, but remember "this too shall pass..." :grouphug Simon and family...:grouphug

lilidukes
02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Have you noticed any difference in the smell or color of his urine???? Kids like Simon are so very prone to UTI's. Just a thought in a different direction.

:grouphug :grouphug Simon :grouphug :grouphug

djarenspace9
02-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Good call Lilidukes.
You did mention the other day SSM that he was resisting the baths and expressing the bladder.
If it's feeling uncomfortable that could cause the behavior change.