PDA

View Full Version : Squirrels antomy liver location

scratsdad
02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm trying to find the location of the liver in a squirrel. Can't find anything on the internet when I do a search. What are systems of a liver issue with a squirrel, etc......I would it''s located where ours is, but I'm not sure. Since scrat has been on Rimadyl, didn't know until a day ago it could cause liver issues, I'm trying to find out what I can...location, symptoms whether minor or major, etc...

Milo's Mom
02-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I did a quick search online and found this. Not sure how reliable it is, but it does seem reasonable.
I do not have any of the answers to your other questions....sorry.

scratsdad
02-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the drawing, it's what I was looking for. I don't know why but what I see might explain what I'm looking for. Since scrat has been on the Remadyl it may have been long enough to start affecting her liver. She scratches behind her right arm, tries to get to her right side by her hip.. nibbles. She tries to get it even when I'm carrying her. I put my left hand
under her feet for support, and hold her up with my right hand. She nibbles
at my right hand. I was thinking it was her ruptured back disc bothering her again, but after what I was told this weekend about the liver can be affected by the Remadyl I'm leaning the other way. She was on it for
her arthritius on high humidity days. Her dose was .08 sometimes 2 times daily. The vet had her on it since Oct due to the arthritius in her back where the ruptured disc is located. She never mentioned it could affect the liver.
That's why I'm trying to find out what the symtoms are for liver issues.

Busysqrl
02-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Yes Rimadyl can definately affect the liver. We've had several of our pets on it for various reasons. We have a dog who has bad arthritis and after having him on Rimadyl for a while we decided because of the risk to his liver, we put him on the spice Tumeric. It's well known for it's antiinflamatory properties. We give him 1/8 teaspoon of it once per day. He's a Chihuhua. Not exactly sure what the dose would be for a squirrel, but you might try a tiny pinch in some yogurt for a few days and see what happens. It's worked wonders for our Chihuahua. Do some checking on the internet about it. It's pretty easy to find info on it. It should be given with some calcium as in yogurt because it's high in oxalates.

scratsdad
02-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the additional input. still trying to figure out what the symtoms are for liver issues. I also found out that the Rimydle can also cause stomach ulcers.....I haven't been able to find symtoms for either. Adults yes, but animals not yet.....

CritterMom
02-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the additional input. still trying to figure out what the symtoms are for liver issues. I also found out that the Rimydle can also cause stomach ulcers.....I haven't been able to find symtoms for either. Adults yes, but animals not yet.....

Scratsdad, rodents can also take a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement which is excellent for arthritis.
http://www.amazon.com/Glucosamine-Chondroitin-MSM-mg-120-tablets/dp/B001K6LCWI
This is a small size dose per pill - most of this since it is for humans are much larger, so this particular dosage is a good purchase. 1/4 pill per day - grind it and hide it in a treat. Glucosamine and chondroitin stop damage to cartledge and actually re-grow cartledge and increase synovial fluid. MSM is a natural anti-inflammatory. This combo is very commonly used in humans, horses, dogs, cats, etc, and if you google "rats and glucosamine" you will find some good rodent info.

Milk thistle, available at health food stores both in a liquid tincture and powder inside capsules, is a very good liver "tonic." I have used it with my parrots.

:thumbsup

scratsdad
02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks again for the additional input. Have some choices now. She's scratching the right side alot so far this morning. I wished I had been alarmed to the Rimadyl sooner. She was on it when she broke her foot. I never bothered to question it. Scrats vet specializes in exotic's and has rehabbed squirrels before for release. I just take her for granite that what she's precribing is good for scrat. When she put her on the predisone for her ruptured disc issue she did have us on a regiment that also backed her off of it slowly as not to cause liver issues. Nothing was said about the Rimadyl tho. My fault for not asking. I've stopped giving it to her 3 days ago and now wondering if I should be backing off it as opposed to just stoping. Any input on this?

CritterMom
02-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Rimadyl is an NSAID - NON-steroidal - as opposed to the prednisone which is a steroid. You have to step the steroids down - NSAIDS you can just stop taking. So yes, you can quit the Rimadyl without a problem.

It is really just an anti-inflammatory. I prefer the nutritional supplement method because it actually improves the underlying causes of the pain instead of just treating the pain itself.

scratsdad
02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Tks. I stopped the Rimadyl 4 days ago. I talked to the vet this morning to try and find out more about it. I had read that it could cause stomach ulcers in dogs. She wasn't sure about squirrels however there is a medication that actually seals any stomach lining issues. However, I explained TUMs since it's an antiacid...she said yes go ahead with that until she checks the other out for useage in squirrels. As Far as liver she indicated it was possible. She
asked about the whites of her eyes if they were yellowish...scrat hasn't any white showing. She also asked if her eyes were dylated but at the time I couldn't answer that question since she was sleeping at the time. I checked later and they looked fine.
Her scratching behind her right arm isn't necessarly the case. Noticed she's
getting a red area behind her right wiskers where she's scratching. Put some
powder medication scrat had for her foot on it to relieve any irratation. We
started her on the Arithimaxx .05 this morning...another .05 tonight when she goes to bed. Also gave her a drop of the Milk Thistle in her fruit punch.
(organic mixed Berry juice-which she loves). The dropper with the bottle gives a very small drop compared to what a syringe does. But it's too soon
for her to have a reaction to any of this. She's not scratched as much today
as she has been. After all this mary catherine (wife) asked if she could be
in heat. That could be why she's scratching due to the discomfort. But I don't think the spot under her whiskers has been an issue when she was in heat before. At least I've never noticed it.

Margie
02-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Steroids aren't given in a decreasing dosage because of the liver. The body produces its own steroids. When you are giving them by way of medication the body stops producing the natural steroids. If you stop the medication suddenly the body won't be able to compensate and suddenly start producing its own steroids again in the correct amount. So, you gradually taper off the medication and the body gradually starts producing again. A sudden stopping of the medication or prolonged usage of steroids will cause a deficiency in natural steroid production called Cushing's Disease. There is a belief by some vets that the animals that respond so well to steroids for some problems like dermatitis are low in natural steroid production to begin with.

Wonkawillie
02-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Liver damage can always cause Jaundis ( sp?). In a human, we would look kind of yellow. The whites of our eyes would also look yellow. In a squirrel, you would have to look closely because of the fur. Not quite sure how friendly your squirrel is, but can you see the gums in the mouth? They would look yelloow or kind of suntan opposed to nice and pink. If it is a girl, maybe her skin on her girl parts would show the yellow color?

scratsdad
02-27-2012, 05:31 PM
tks williewonka....checked and no yellowing. Appreciate info...good to know.