PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Glasgow

Ratmummy
02-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi folks,

Been directed to your forum by another member. I'm living in Glasgow, and didn't know you could get pet squirrels!! I'm a rat owner myself, they have owned me for just over a year.

Look forward to getting to know you!

astra
02-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome!!!!!:Welcome
I don't think there is anyone from Glasgow (yet)!:crazy

Well, technically, you cannot really have a pet squirrel.
With very few exceptions, most states have laws that state it is illegal to keep wildlife, including squirrels.

Also, people are discouraged from keeping squirrels as pets b/c they do not make good pets. They are essentially wild animals and end up exhibiting wild behaviors (such as biting ;)), attach only to one human, and if they are healthy, they certainly belong in the trees.
Only when the squirrel is non-releasable (NR) for some reason (health issues etc), it is kept indoors.

However, there are lot of people here who keep rats and other non-squirrel fuzzers!
So, please share your rat with us!
Here is a forum where people start threads for their non-squirrel animals, including rats: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=198

:) :grouphug

2ndHandRanchRescue
02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Welcome!!
I'm a rehabber in Illinois that has NR squirrels AND pet rescued rats. Yep this is not normal, but my poor toothless fox squirrel had no friends and I was short on cages, so my rescued rats had to move in for the day - well they all fell in love. Now my 2 pet rats love their squirrel.

Take a peek!
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32366&highlight=Bear+rats

rocky63
02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
:wave123 Hello ratmummy :Welcome to the squirrel board :wave123

SquirrelCav
02-22-2012, 04:54 PM
You made it. Excellent. Welcome to TSB.

Now you can tell John what he's missing... Or we can gang up on him till he gets Frog some ratties of her own :D

- Jay

cuteascnb
02-22-2012, 09:13 PM
:Welcome :grouphug

WOW Im so jealous! Always wanted to go to Scotland! Have a few friends from threre!

cuteascnb
02-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi folks,

Been directed to your forum by another member. I'm living in Glasgow, and didn't know you could get pet squirrels!! I'm a rat owner myself, they have owned me for just over a year.

Look forward to getting to know you!

oh and we need some pics!!!! PLEASE:jump

Chickenlegs
02-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Welcome welcome welcome! I don't have rats--cept the ones out back. Love the little guys. I second (third? fourth?) the need for pix. LOVE dem furry faces! :Welcome again.

Ratmummy
02-29-2012, 01:14 PM
As soon as I know how to post pictures I will, apologies for my absence. Am expecting so have been a wee bit sleepy!

cam
02-29-2012, 01:38 PM
:Welcome

squirrels definately do not make good pets! i have a NR squirrel who is blind, i've had her for a while now and it is more like being a zoo keeper than caring for a pet!

Ratmummy
02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Guess it doesn't happen over her, or it does and its more obscure than rat keeping?? Think I have put pictures up

stosh2010
02-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Guess it doesn't happen over her, or it does and its more obscure than rat keeping?? Think I have put pictures up
WELCOME to T.S.B.---No PHOTOS yet>>>>

Lots of wonderful squirrels on this site--and great ratties...too

stosh2010
02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30

Try this LINK--to help with downloading photos

IrishHarps
02-29-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm going to add a quick asterisk (*) to the above notes that squirrels aren't good pets - I actually have a pet Southern Flying Squirrel (very different from the ground squirrel varieties), and she is a great pet! And it's legal where I live. I wouldn't trade her for any other pet! I have flyer fever.

Anyhoo, nice to meet you! Scotland sounds awesome :)