PDA

View Full Version : Urine colored by food...?

Squirreldaddy2200
02-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Is it normal if u give a squirrel x3 black cherry's can it cause the urine to become a little red?

I gave my little "Tippy" some yesterday and now Im finding reddish orange urine.

Tippy is my rescue, I got her back in Aug 1.5 weeks before her eyes opened.
She fell out of a tree onto a sidewalk and has some rear spinal damage or a pinched nerve. Her back legs are kinda bum and she never really flicks her tail :(
She was very hypoglycemic and had a cal diff when I got her so she has a little hump between her shoulder heh.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone would know if cherrys can do that.

EITHER WAY- I have all white down to monitor her and if it persists I can taker her to my old work for a good checkup.

Milo's Mom
02-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Yes, food can make the urine change color; however, injury or sickness can also change urine color. In my experience when it is food changing the color there is not a change in the odor. When injury or specifically sickness changes the urine color there is a significant change in the odor.

Acorns will make urine redish...freaks me out all the time...reminds me of blood. I would think that black cherries would also have the potential to make a redish urine. I would monitor her closely and yes, I would sniff the urine too.

Hopefully some of our resident experts will respond soon.

Can you spell out what the rest of her diet is like? What does she eat daily and the approximate quantities?

Squirreldaddy2200
02-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks

Yes I know about illness and injury making it smell worse. I was just checking. and its new so its unlikely from the injury.

I baby her heh. I'm always holding her because she likes to drag her rear left leg/foot, it has "some" use about 10-20% possibly she doesn't have the muscles to bring her foot up when shes just on the bottom of the cage flat.

(vet tech 6 years mostly cats and some small animals)