PDA

View Full Version : Teeth color questions...

stepnstone
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I understand that an adult squirrels teeth are coated in an orange enamel where a juvenile's teeth are still white. At what point or age should they have developed the orange coating? Is 16 weeks still considered a juvenile?

island rehabber
02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
stepnstone if you go by me, it works out this way: I release all my rehab squirrels by 18-20 weeks old, often sooner than that. I NEVER see orange teeth. The only time I ever did was when I overwintered squirrels. So I am going to say that for at least the first 5 months (20 weeks) teeth are not orange yet. :)

stepnstone
02-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks IR, that helps. :thumbsup
So here is my next related question: Is there anymore precautions needed to be taken if a juvenile needs it's teeth trimmed compared to an adult that has the protective (orange) enamel in place? I guess I'm wondering if the juvenile's teeth are softer, pose a bigger risk of splitting, etc...

stepnstone
02-05-2012, 02:50 PM
...anyone?? :dono

Sweet Simon's Mommy
02-05-2012, 02:55 PM
don't know, maybe, do you have one that may need its teeth trimmed?

djarenspace9
02-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Baby teeth are softer and easier to clip.
A mature squirrels teeth can get really thick and can more easily splinter.

stepnstone
02-05-2012, 03:26 PM
don't know, maybe, do you have one that may need its teeth trimmed?

Maybe... Young girl I've been walking on egg shells with through emails. The squirrels diet stinks, still taking goat's milk formula. Won't eat block, won't eat vegetables. She has shown me a picture of thinning hair around his knees that I believe is a nutritional problem, now she's telling me his bottom teeth "maybe" over lapping the front on the back side, I'm really afraid for this squirrel! Trying to arrange a meeting with her to see the squirrel. Problem is I'm an (elder) grown man, she's a young girl (student) who lives at home. Her parents probably think I'm just some sort of perv using the squirrel to get close to her. Don't want any shot guns greeting me at the door...

Baby teeth are softer and easier to clip.
A mature squirrels teeth can get really thick and can more easily splinter.

Thank you for that info. Never have had to do it but if I have to the easier the better...

Sweet Simon's Mommy
02-05-2012, 03:34 PM
anyone else on the board in your neck of the woods?
Its such a shame the world thinks like that now, you don't want to be on 20/20 that's for sure.

stepnstone
02-05-2012, 04:05 PM
anyone else on the board in your neck of the woods?
There maybe someone closer to her, I'm searching for options...
Its such a shame the world thinks like that now, you don't want to be on 20/20 that's for sure.

Not to say it's a trick bag I've been in before and I'm not saying her parents do think like that but yes, because of the way things are these days I've learned to be very cautious when it comes to being (alone) around young folk.

island rehabber
02-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Not to say it's a trick bag I've been in before and I'm not saying her parents do think like that but yes, because of the way things are these days I've learned to be very cautious when it comes to being (alone) around young folk.

You're a wise man --- my BF thinks the same way. Can your wife come along with you to see the squirrel? :dono

stepnstone
02-05-2012, 04:46 PM
You're a wise man --- my BF thinks the same way. Can your wife come along with you to see the squirrel? :dono

Your BF is also a very wise man! :thumbsup
Not unless she took off work which is really not an option, the times that the girl has given me are around her school schedule and has so far not included the weekend. :shakehead