PDA

View Full Version : broken finger nail

shellyb1018
02-03-2012, 04:51 PM
i went to play with skeeter today and i noticed that her nail was broken. it is scabbed and bent to the side. she normally is wild and running around now she still moves around but shes slow and favoring her other foot, and really just wants to chill. i dont think it is very dangerous but there is some blood on it and i would like to know if there is any ointment or creme to help her out, and keep infection out.

shellyb1018
02-03-2012, 04:52 PM
i went to play with skeeter today and i noticed that her nail was broken. it is scabbed and bent to the side. she normally is wild and running around now she still moves around but shes slow and favoring her other foot, and really just wants to chill. i dont think it is very dangerous but there is some blood on it and i would like to know if there is any ointment or creme to help her out, and keep infection out.i will try to get a picture up by tonight

gs1
02-03-2012, 05:23 PM
flyer or tree squirrel? grey?

if tree squirrel less problem than flyer....

neosporin might help.... yes good to have photos.:grouphug

shellyb1018
02-03-2012, 09:49 PM
She is a grey squirrel.161249

ok, I got a couple pics, but it is very hard to see...seems her one nail, closest to her pinkie toe, is bent to the side.There doesnt seem to be any swelling, and no blood, and no scabbing now.Maybe she cracked her nail below the tip but I cant seem to see it. She must have been cleaning it a lot. She still is not putting any weight on it and when I got home form work at 8:30 she was in my arms til about 20 minutes ago. She has never done that before...ever! Then she started running a bit but still limping. So I placed her nesting cube lower in the cage and removed anything else that she would have to climb up to. I am going to also put a heating pad below where she sleeps.

I kept the pics big, so hopefully, you can see how the one looks bent. I dont know, I will watch her, and I know they usually heal themselves from some injury. She had hurt her paw before and within hours she was back to normal and never was so calm. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

treeman
02-04-2012, 12:22 AM
This happened to my Spicey when she slammed her toes in her nestbox lid where it hinges. There was blood and she was very sore. i thought she might have broken her toes. They were a little crooked and immobile at first. She started improving after about 2 days and it was resolved in abt a week/week and a half. The toes straightened out and now there is no sign of the injury. Hopefully, this will work out the same. :)

shellyb1018
02-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Skeeter seems to be getting better. Still not putting weight on her paw but is going strong, running around and not being so cuddly as she was. Even though, I loved her cuddling with me, I know she wasnt feeling good to be doing that. So I am glad. Hopefully, in a couple more days, I will see her putting weight on it and getting on as crazy as she is. :D

gs1
02-05-2012, 12:10 PM
thank you so much treeman .....

poor spicey, poor ginger .... i can imagine it must hurt... much like us when we break a nail at the root ...it does take at least 2 weeks to feel ok .....

:grouphug