PDA

View Full Version : Cant find Kaytee Forti Diet for Rodents...

JiffyNutSquirrel
01-23-2012, 12:09 PM
I scoured the shelves for the rodent block, but only saw Chinchilla and rabbit Forti diet. So I picked up the closest thing I could find. This brand is called Mazuri - Rat and mouse diet for all life stages. This is the only rat/mouse feed I could find at all that was in the form of these large pellets. It looks like the Kaytee Forti Diet that I looked up before leaving the house. Is this stuff okay for Jiffy? Hes pretty hungry and I need to know asap so I can feed him. :) I'm already behind on his schedule because I had to change the way I was handling his diet. :\

astra
01-23-2012, 12:20 PM
I scoured the shelves for the rodent block, but only saw Chinchilla and rabbit Forti diet. So I picked up the closest thing I could find. This brand is called Mazuri - Rat and mouse diet for all life stages. This is the only rat/mouse feed I could find at all that was in the form of these large pellets. It looks like the Kaytee Forti Diet that I looked up before leaving the house. Is this stuff okay for Jiffy? Hes pretty hungry and I need to know asap so I can feed him. :) I'm already behind on his schedule because I had to change the way I was handling his diet. :\
yes, Mazuri is fine, too.

A lot of people like to alternate different blocks and use both, Mazuri and Kaytee forti diet.

JiffyNutSquirrel
01-23-2012, 12:23 PM
alright! lol. So it is safe to open the bag and give him a couple. Didnt wanna open it just to find out later it was wrong again and then I cant return it. :) Thanks! :crazy

UDoWhat
01-23-2012, 12:46 PM
alright! lol. So it is safe to open the bag and give him a couple. Didnt wanna open it just to find out later it was wrong again and then I cant return it. :) Thanks! :crazy

Yes,:rotfl It is safe. IMO, I think the Mazuri diet and the KayTee diet is comparable. Just in case you didn't know the KayTee Forti-Diet ProHealth (with DHA omega 3) is in a blue bag and is labeled for "Mouse, Rat and Hamster" . I have to tell you, it is confusing to me too after all these years... you are not alone! :thinking :rotfl

lilidukes
01-23-2012, 12:56 PM
if you don't mind me asking what part of sc are you in. We have a number of members around the state willing to assist in any way we can mjs

JiffyNutSquirrel
01-23-2012, 12:58 PM
I am in Florence, SC. :) about an hour from Myrtle Beach on a good travel day.

I saw plenty of Kaytee bags for different animals and all the bags had little seeds and colorful disks in them. The Mazuri was the only thing at all on the whole aisle that looked like the type of food I needed. :\

lilidukes
01-23-2012, 01:13 PM
i know that Jackie in Tampa has some contacts near the beach. perhaps if you contact her she could help with someone near you.

UDoWhat
01-23-2012, 01:25 PM
I am in Florence, SC. :) about an hour from Myrtle Beach on a good travel day.

I saw plenty of Kaytee bags for different animals and all the bags had little seeds and colorful disks in them. The Mazuri was the only thing at all on the whole aisle that looked like the type of food I needed. :\

You got the right stuff... no little seeds and disks... just block.:thumbsup Mazuri is what I am using this year. I can get it in 50lb. bags for my "crew" of overwinters. 50lbs for $23. I buy it every 3 weeks. Oh help!!:sanp3

JiffyNutSquirrel
01-23-2012, 01:28 PM
ok, so...now to get the baby to eat it. The rat/mouse I did have him on had these Mazuri type pellets in the mix, and he ate them then, but this time he only got a couple of the Mazuri pellets because I figure at this point he doesnt really need any treats lol. Hes had treats all his life it seems. lol. Will he just eventually eat it when he gets too hungry to ignore it? I know I should keep it fresh for him, how often should I change his food out for fresh?

JiffyNutSquirrel
01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
How many of these pellets should he eat per day? Is it still a "as much as he wants" deal? He is eating them now. :) I plan on visiting the upper scale neighborhood shopping center on the other side of town to see if they have a fresh salad bar. Until I can get to that particular store, what is something simple that any grocer will have that I can add to his diet? Or is he okay for right now with just the pellets?

:poke

lots of catching up to do :tilt

astra
01-24-2012, 08:31 PM
How many of these pellets should he eat per day? Is it still a "as much as he wants" deal? He is eating them now. :) I plan on visiting the upper scale neighborhood shopping center on the other side of town to see if they have a fresh salad bar. Until I can get to that particular store, what is something simple that any grocer will have that I can add to his diet? Or is he okay for right now with just the pellets?

well, opinions differ on how many of the blocks to eat...

On average, it's about 3-5 blocks.

Some people leave a bunch in their dish for the day, others - ration...

So, I hope different people will share their different approaches to this

As for veggies - look for brussell sprouts, Belgian Endive, Sugar snap peas, broccoli, Swiss chard, lettuces of sorts, dandelions, chicory - you can check it with the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels sticky in the nutrition forum.
So far, most of the veggies on the list are always found in all supermarkets I have been to (both, in the US and Canada).

JiffyNutSquirrel
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Awesome. I know they have the snap peas I can buy by weight, and brussel sprouts also. What about Kale? I have to buy that for Bowser the Iguana anyway, and He doesnt go through the bushel I have to buy for him before it starts going bad. :shakehead

UDoWhat
01-24-2012, 09:55 PM
:thumbsup Yes, on the kale. My squirrels like it. If your little one does not take to it at first... try, try, again. I offer some foods and sometimes they won't even touch it. I will try it again another day and they try to rip your arm off to get to it.:shakehead Crazy squirrels.

Marty

shellyb1018
01-24-2012, 10:06 PM

I dont think the Mazuri rodent block is so much a treat to them as it is essential to them..I have a bowl of them all day, 24 hours a day, when it gets low, i fill it back up. My girl still eats her veggies and I know she is getting the nutrition she needs.
Did you try a Petsmart online? maybe you can order the Kaytee? But the Mazuri is wonderful and basically the same thing. :)

shellyb1018
01-24-2012, 10:07 PM
You got the right stuff... no little seeds and disks... just block.:thumbsup Mazuri is what I am using this year. I can get it in 50lb. bags for my "crew" of overwinters. 50lbs for $23. I buy it every 3 weeks. Oh help!!:sanp3

Wow, Udowhat....where do you get a 50lb bag of them for that price? Would I be able to order them online??