PDA

View Full Version : fever blister/pox

slhgnh
01-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I have a question...if I had a fever blister and I caught the squirrel in my lemon pudding cup licking away after I ate it can he then get the virus and breakout with pox? Asking because RJ has a small hairless spot on the corner of his mouth. I will try to get him to be still and take some pictures to upload. He has had this spot about a week and has no other spots. It looks to be scabbed over now. I never noticed it draining or anything else. Just paranoid....I hope!

mainemargaret
01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
I believe these are different viruses. My understanding is that the virus that causes squirrel pox is specific to squirrels, and your squirrel would have to have contact with blood or scabs from an infected squirrel. Doesn't hurt to ask when you have any pox concerns, though. I recently had an outbreak among my yard friends and the folks here were incredibly helpful.

mainemargaret
01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Forgot - mosquitoes and fleas can spread it around to other squirrels if they've bitten an infected squirrel.

slhgnh
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Phew!!! Ok that makes me feel so much better!!! I am always so careful when I have one around everyone. Then I almost went in to panic mode when I was reading and saw where they treat with the same medication. Going now to try and get some pictures if I can get him still for a second. Thanks again!!