PDA

View Full Version : My squirrel died:(

jodigreen
01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
My daughter's math teacher found a baby squirrel and raised it for about 2 weeks and then contacted me. She knows that I am a nut about animals and have raised different animals in the past. She knew that it was a lot of work and was ready to hand it over. Well, my experience has been mainly with ducks and geese so this was new to me. We fell in love with Piper instantly. We think that Piper was between 5-7 weeks old when the math teacher found him. She was feeding him cat's milk and he seemed to be doing very well. I continued feeding him cat's milk until he was not interested in it any longer. I contacted someone that I found out through a pet store has a squirrel to find out if I was doing what I should be. I fed Piper: apple slices, pecans, corn, and raw/unsalted peanuts. After having Piper for a month I think he had a seizure. I was putting a jewelry box together on Christmas Day out in my garage and he was sleeping in a sock attached to my waist. All of a sudden I heard him scream and move around. I got him out and he had wet himself. He had never done this before and at first I thought he had a nightmare because I didn't seem him shake and it didn't last long at all. A few weeks later when I was cleaning him up with kitty wet ones, he screamed and shook his little left front paw and bared his teeth down on my hand. It only lasted about 5 seconds and then it was gone. That is when I realized that he might have had a seizure the first time. I called the gentleman that I had discovered had a squirrel for about 3 years. He had never seen anything like that happen with his squirrel. I asked him about his squirrel's diet and he told me he fed his squirrel the same thing that I was feeding Piper. We left to go to Florida to play ball for my daughter's team last week so we had to leave Piper because we were flying down. The math teacher asked if she could watch him. I left her his cage, lots of food, his wet ones, kissed him goodbye, and never saw him alive again. She said two days later she heard him in his hammock screaming and she thought he was having a bad dream. She went in to get him and rubbed on him and he died. I was devastated. I don't know if I did something wrong. He seemed so happy and adjusted. I have a nice 3 story cage that I keep in my classroom at school. He had the run of the room when the kids were not there. In my car, going to and from every day, he also had the run of the car. He usually sat on my arm and looked out the window or asleep in my lap. Piper would sleep under the heating blanket with me in his tobaggon usually. Sometimes I would move him to the floor beside my bed in his own little fleece bed covered with a blanket. He was very sweet and loveable. I had no idea that a squirrel could be such a nice pet. I would lay him on his back in my hand and rub under his arm and he would hold it out and make little grunting noises. He would then hold out the other arm to get me to rub under there and continue with his grunting noises. He also enjoyed being rubbed under the neck. I have had a lot of different kinds of animals, but have never enjoyed one as much as this squirrel. What should I have done different?

island rehabber
01-18-2012, 06:48 PM
I fed Piper: apple slices, pecans, corn, and raw/unsalted peanuts.

First, jodi, let me say how terribly sorry I am that you lost your Piper. Squirrels have a way of grabbing onto our hearts and wrenching them when they leave us...only those who have loved one can understand.

Now let me also say how terribly sorry I am that the first person you asked about feeding your squirrel was completely ignorant on the subject......I wonder if his squirrel truly lived 3 years, or if this is ALL he fed his squirrel.

That "diet" is deadly and that is, unfortunately, what killed Piper.
Squirrels require a high calcium diet that is balanced in phosphorous. Piper was eating NO CALCIUM, from what you described, because he had no green vegetables or rodent block in his diet. Corn, pecans and peanuts have phosphorous that actually depletes calcium from a squirrel's body.
(Corn is garbage....provides almost no nutrition although they love it. I love Tostitos, too -- but I'd better not live on them :).)

Piper had MBD -- Metabolic Bone Disease -- that is what caused the seizures and that's why he passed. I'm so sorry... :(

If you want to, take a look at our Nutrition Forum. You will see so much info about squirrel diets and the right foods to feed. Another fluffy one may come your way someday, and you'll want to be ready. :)

cuteascnb
01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Aww...Im so sorry! It is very hard to loose an animal you love so dearly! Unfortunately like IR said....his diet was not the best for a squirrel...they need lots of fresh veggies and fruits...rodent blocks and calcium! :grouphug :grouphug

UDoWhat
01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
I am so sorry that you lost Piper. Unfortunately his diet was the problem. If you ever need any help , please contact me. I will always help those who need squirrel help. Squirrels require a specific diet that can be tricky. I am sorry that you were given terrible advice by another person. Please stay at TSB and learn all you can about squirrels. Once one finds you others will come. It just happens that way. Hundreds of squirrels later, I promise, I know. Rest sweet Piper. You were so loved.:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Marty

Bravo
01-18-2012, 07:20 PM
:grouphug A lot of people here know exactly what it means to lose a squirrel. You did your best with what you knew. :grouphug

HRT4SQRLS
01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Jodi,
I am so sorry about your Piper. I can feel your pain because my experience with my first squirrel Rocky also ended tragically. I was devastated. I didn't find The Squirrel Board until after my baby was gone. My lack of knowledge caused an error that ended his life so I understand exactly how you feel. It took me a long time to cope with the grief I felt by losing Rocky. Everyone here understands your sorrow.

It is surprising that almost no one knows what squirrels need nutritionally to survive. Even most vets don't know so don't be too hard on yourself. Pet stores REALLY don't know. The squirrel mix sold in HD & Lowes is actually deadly for squirrels. The mix is corn, sunflower seeds and peanuts-- the worst possible thing that captive squirrels can eat. You have come to the RIGHT place. This place is loaded with experts that have rehabbed successfully literally thousands of squirrels. Here you can learn about all the right things and the wrong things to feed squirrels. If you hang around and start reading about nutrition you will be well prepared if you should ever find yourself as an adopted squirrel mom again.

I'm a newbie also and I decided to stay and learn. This place is great. WELCOME to TSB and again so sorry about your Piper.

rocky63
01-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Jodi, Sorry about piper I too know the heart break. They do have a way to get to your heart:Love_Icon :grouphug

michael metts
01-18-2012, 08:35 PM
My daughter's math teacher found a baby squirrel and raised it for about 2 weeks and then contacted me. She knows that I am a nut about animals and have raised different animals in the past. She knew that it was a lot of work and was ready to hand it over. Well, my experience has been mainly with ducks and geese so this was new to me. We fell in love with Piper instantly. We think that Piper was between 5-7 weeks old when the math teacher found him. She was feeding him cat's milk and he seemed to be doing very well. I continued feeding him cat's milk until he was not interested in it any longer. I contacted someone that I found out through a pet store has a squirrel to find out if I was doing what I should be. I fed Piper: apple slices, pecans, corn, and raw/unsalted peanuts. After having Piper for a month I think he had a seizure. I was putting a jewelry box together on Christmas Day out in my garage and he was sleeping in a sock attached to my waist. All of a sudden I heard him scream and move around. I got him out and he had wet himself. He had never done this before and at first I thought he had a nightmare because I didn't seem him shake and it didn't last long at all. A few weeks later when I was cleaning him up with kitty wet ones, he screamed and shook his little left front paw and bared his teeth down on my hand. It only lasted about 5 seconds and then it was gone. That is when I realized that he might have had a seizure the first time. I called the gentleman that I had discovered had a squirrel for about 3 years. He had never seen anything like that happen with his squirrel. I asked him about his squirrel's diet and he told me he fed his squirrel the same thing that I was feeding Piper. We left to go to Florida to play ball for my daughter's team last week so we had to leave Piper because we were flying down. The math teacher asked if she could watch him. I left her his cage, lots of food, his wet ones, kissed him goodbye, and never saw him alive again. She said two days later she heard him in his hammock screaming and she thought he was having a bad dream. She went in to get him and rubbed on him and he died. I was devastated. I don't know if I did something wrong. He seemed so happy and adjusted. I have a nice 3 story cage that I keep in my classroom at school. He had the run of the room when the kids were not there. In my car, going to and from every day, he also had the run of the car. He usually sat on my arm and looked out the window or asleep in my lap. Piper would sleep under the heating blanket with me in his tobaggon usually. Sometimes I would move him to the floor beside my bed in his own little fleece bed covered with a blanket. He was very sweet and loveable. I had no idea that a squirrel could be such a nice pet. I would lay him on his back in my hand and rub under his arm and he would hold it out and make little grunting noises. He would then hold out the other arm to get me to rub under there and continue with his grunting noises. He also enjoyed being rubbed under the neck. I have had a lot of different kinds of animals, but have never enjoyed one as much as this squirrel. What should I have done different?
I know how you feel, I lost one last week to a seizure, I still cry abut it, I did everything to him that i did with the other squirrels, same food, unsalted nuts, carrots, lettuce, pieces of apples brochli, they all loved mashed potatos, no salt no butter, that is how i eat it, alot of sunshine. i walk they each day so the sun in on them for about 30 minutes, and they lay on the bed when the sun comes through the window and shines on them. and I have only lost one in 4 years , but still i feel bad for this was a special little guy that I thought would be my inside pet for life. not knowing it would end very short. You did a great job and all you could do so please do not blame yourself, My heart goes out to you and your daughter, This site has helpped me through my heart Ache and the people here will help you too. I have a 8x10 picture of my little fellow on his cage that i look at everyday, So please do not let his memory go, hold on to it and thank him for giving you the chance to love him just like he loved you....

JLM27
01-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Jodi, I'm so sorry you lost Piper. You must have a huge heartbreak. :grouphug Piper knew you loved him, and he loved you. Love is never lost or gone. I lost the love of my life to a car accident. She was wild, and there was no way I could have prevented it without taking away her freedom. Still, I beat myself up terrible about it, cried for a week, didn't hardly eat for three weeks. That was almost 4 years ago and I still break down sometimes when I think of it. Please take care of yourself. Your not knowing about the diet is one of the big reasons why this squirrel board is here. Almost no one knows about the diet. It's just so terrible to lose Piper before you found us.:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

island rehabber
01-18-2012, 08:40 PM
michael, if you still have other squirrels please visit the Nutrition Forum and get your fuzzers on the Healthy Diet immediately. Other than broccoli, there's nothing too good in your squirrels' diet, either.
I know the stores sell "squirrel mix" and it's always sunflower seeds, peanuts and corn. But that's the same as "Party Mix" for people - junk food. A wild squirrel is also eating wild foods -- berries, twigs, bark, parts of plants, even bird eggs and some insects. The squirrel mix is junk food for him, but he's getting his vitamins elsewhere. A PET, or captive squirrel, can only eat what YOU give him. If you only give him junk....... :(

stosh2010
01-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Sorry about your little PIPER.I hope you get another chance to love a squirrel. So much great info here.
Please read the nutrition threads and be prepared.
Can you post a photo of PIPER ???

michael metts
01-18-2012, 09:01 PM
michael, if you still have other squirrels please visit the Nutrition Forum and get your fuzzers on the Healthy Diet immediately. Other than broccoli, there's nothing too good in your squirrels' diet, either.
I know the stores sell "squirrel mix" and it's always sunflower seeds, peanuts and corn. But that's the same as "Party Mix" for people - junk food. A wild squirrel is also eating wild foods -- berries, twigs, bark, parts of plants, even bird eggs and some insects. The squirrel mix is junk food for him, but he's getting his vitamins elsewhere. A PET, or captive squirrel, can only eat what YOU give him. If you only give him junk....... :(

They eat pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and bird mix seeds also.they have the black berries blue berries strawberries i put them in the trees in my yard and they chew on that and the leaves, Not mean to be rude, But squirrels and all animals are like humans, they all do not eat the same foods as the others, most of my squirrels eat different things then the others, but they still eat what is in the trees and bushes and on the ground. Looseing 1 out of all the squirrels i have raised is a good track record. My vet even said the same thing ,she said that 1 out of 10 squirrels will not make it. but Thanks for your advice.

astra
01-18-2012, 09:27 PM
They eat pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and bird mix seeds also.they have the black berries blue berries strawberries i put them in the trees in my yard and they chew on that and the leaves, Not mean to be rude, But squirrels and all animals are like humans, they all do not eat the same foods as the others, most of my squirrels eat different things then the others, but they still eat what is in the trees and bushes and on the ground. Looseing 1 out of all the squirrels i have raised is a good track record. My vet even said the same thing ,she said that 1 out of 10 squirrels will not make it. but Thanks for your advice.
Michael,

completely understand what you are trying to say, but
even one lost squirrel is one too many if that loss can be prevented by proper nutrition.

yes, just like humans, squirrels like variety so all of them have their preferences and in that way, they do not eat ""all the same".
However, even despite personal dietary preferences, all humans have the same nutritional needs: we all need protein, carbs, and fats, and an array of vitamins and minerals in certain designated amounts.
When humans do not have their nutritional needs met, they get sick.
Maybe, not always as dramatically as MDB in a little squirrel, but dramatically nonetheless as malnutrition, often in hidden forms and way too often undetected, results in a myriad of diseases and health problems that stretch themselves over years, often showing up not immediately, but later.

So, similarly, squirrels may have individual preferences, but their nutritional needs are all the same and must be met.

Most vets do not have sufficient knowledge about wildlife and squirrels in particular.

The dietary suggestions provided and encouraged here (and in squirrel rehab in general) are the result of both, scientific data and decades and decades of rehab, hundreds and thousands of rehabbed squirrels.
Rehabbers who followed these guidelines have not lost one squirrel because of MBD or malnutrition in general. Not one.
That certainly, speaks volumes.

Please take these suggestions as a well-meaning concern for the squirrels and desire to prevent any MBD-resulted losses in the future, backed up by decades and decades of rehab experience and knowledge.

UDoWhat
01-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Michael,

completely understand what you are trying to say, but
even one lost squirrel is one too many if that loss can be prevented by proper nutrition.

yes, just like humans, squirrels like variety so all of them have their preferences and in that way, they do not eat ""all the same".
However, even despite personal dietary preferences, all humans have the same nutritional needs: we all need protein, carbs, and fats, and an array of vitamins and minerals in certain designated amounts.
When humans do not have their nutritional needs met, they get sick.
Maybe, not always as dramatically as MDB in a little squirrel, but dramatically nonetheless as malnutrition, often in hidden forms and way too often undetected, results in a myriad of diseases and health problems that stretch themselves over years, often showing up not immediately, but later.

So, similarly, squirrels may have individual preferences, but their nutritional needs are all the same and must be met.

Most vets do not have sufficient knowledge about wildlife and squirrels in particular.

The dietary suggestions provided and encouraged here (and in squirrel rehab in general) are the result of both, scientific data and decades and decades of rehab, hundreds and thousands of rehabbed squirrels.
Rehabbers who followed these guidelines have not lost one squirrel because of MBD or malnutrition in general. Not one.
That certainly, speaks volumes.

Please take these suggestions as a well-meaning concern for the squirrels and desire to prevent any MBD-resulted losses in the future, backed up by decades and decades of rehab experience and knowledge.

:goodpost :goodpost :goodpost AMEN!! I totally agree!!!!

jodigreen
01-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I am glad I found The Squirrel Board. I just wished I had looked before Piper died. I did put the apple slice out in the morning before I let Piper eat anything else. I would give him grapes as a snack and he barely nibbled on a banana. He did have some cucumber during the week prior to his death. I tried giving him carrots and celery, but he would not have anything to do with this.

virgo062
01-20-2012, 04:33 PM
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug Sweet Piper:grouphug :grouphug

astra
01-20-2012, 04:36 PM
:grouphug :Love_Icon Precious Piper- what a sweet face:Love_Icon :grouphug

redwuff
01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
:grouphug Hi Jodi,

What a heartbreak. I am so sorry for your loss. The squirrel love is majic but like everyone said, diet is essential. I know another little squirrel will come your way, but it is not Piper

Skul
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
:wave123 Jodi.
All of us learned from our own mistakes.
You made an honest try to help the little one.
There's no shame in that.
Just want to say thank you, for at least trying.

patjones
01-21-2012, 12:15 AM
I am so sorry I know how it hurts there is nothing like having a squirrel in your life and the empty space is terrible when they are gone. You never know when fate will bring another one your way

astra
01-21-2012, 12:51 AM
:wave123 Jodi.
All of us learned from our own mistakes.
You made an honest try to help the little one.
There's no shame in that.
Just want to say thank you, for at least trying.
:grouphug :goodpost :grouphug

Katrina
01-21-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm so sorry that you lost your baby.. :shakehead

wheezer
01-21-2012, 12:30 PM
All us here know how hard this is for you:( :Cry :grouphug :grouphug

Kelly Brady
01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
I am so sorry Jodi for your loss.

Once a squirrel crawls in to your heart your hooked. Losing Piper must be so hard. Please stick around read more on these precious fuzzers. I feel like another squirrel will come your way:D it always happens that way:thumbsup

Squirrels that are not able to eat out in the wild need a good rodent block as their primary diet. I use henrys healthy blocks (Lots of good suggestions listed in the nutrition thread). Once they have eaten one to two of the blocks a day then they get veggies at my house. Nuts, seeds, corn and the like are last on the list and given as occasional treats. Like children, they have to eat the important stuff and if they have been good little eaters that day then they get more.

Please open your heart to another some day. As you know, they are amazing and wonderful little friends. Thank you so much for sharing Pipers story with us.

Curliesmom
01-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Hi Jodi. So sorry about Piper. First off are you sure piper was a boy? By the pic he looks like a she. Just curious. No relavence.
Ok now to the diet--kitten milk is bad for a squirrel any squirrel. If you come by another baby use puppy milk replacer. Fox valley is the best and smells good enough to eat. Yum. You can get it at foxvalleynutrition.Com and henryspets.Com. Wonderful people who have created this milk replacer for squirrels. Also squirrel blocks are to be 75%-80% of their food evey day.
Penuts are not nuts they are beans and no nutritional anything for squirrels. Almonds and hazelnuts can be fed but only one a day--+nly as a treat and only after they eat blocks and veggies. Calcium can be sprinkled on the veggies for their calcium intake. Im going thru this right now with my curlie and came to the squirrel board for help. She almost died and my quick action and these peoples help has brought her back and shes even better than she was before. She wakes up more thru the day and is just happier.

Curliesmom
01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
So jodi if you ever find another baby that needs help come to the squirrel board. You can also contact me thru private message. Im not a rehabber but curlie is 5 1/2 years old and i have first hand experience, as does most of th people on the board, with bringing a squirrel back from certain death.
RIP sweet piper. Gone to heaven to be with the other squirrels in Heavens trees. They wait for their humans to join them.

bobby taylor
01-21-2012, 10:12 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your little friend and I know the feeling and I feel your pain. I recently lost my little girl and there is nothing that compares to the hurt. Dont get down on yourself because so many are blaming the diet on the reason of his death although it was probably a contributing factor. Squirrels like people and other animals have so many reasons they leave us. Genetics is one they dont speak of that much and parasites. I have one that I just inherited that is 7 years old and has been raised on parrot food. As a child I raised many and never heard of MBD and they turned out to be healthy scrappy fellows that lived a long and healthy lives. There are many things out there than cause problems and death but we must go on. Nothing beats a good diet though. Just dont feel guilty about the death of your baby because of what a few have said. Feel free to email me and we can shed a few tears together.

Scooterzmom
01-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Jodi:
I'm so sorry for your loss. Like many here I too have lost a beloved squirrel and I know just how much it hurts. I have had many, many pets in my old life and I can tell you there truly is NOTHING like the love of a squirrel. My Scooter was 2 years and 3 mos old when he passed, it was November of 2010, and still not a day goes by that I don't think about my sweet, darling Scooter. Like you I didn't know very much about squirrels then, and like you I wish I had come to this board sooner... maybe he would still be alive if I had... and like you I have felt the awful void.

Still am feeling it... But at least I did come here, and I have learned - A LOT since - and now I have my darling Hami with me and many more have come to me - in fact 2 sweet ones are now wintering over with me. So you see, the Creator does know who loves his creatures, and He puts them on our path when He has special ones in need of care. So I'm sure more will find you and you too will find the love of a sweet squirrel again.

In the meanwhile, cherish your memories, take the time to mourn your dear Piper, and in time... eventually, you will find that some of those memories will become like little drops of sunshine that will brighten your rainy days. Hang on to that thought. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug