PDA

View Full Version : Maggots

TinyPaws
01-12-2012, 06:23 PM
They advertise red and white maggots on ebay and I was wondering if they are good for squirrels..Are they similar to waxworms?

pappy1264
01-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Maggots? Really? No, I don't think so. Wax worms are larval stage of moths, not flies.

treeman
01-12-2012, 08:16 PM
According to this article, maggots are not suitable for some birds that are strictly herbivorous and most commercial maggots are fed on waste meat and could carry disease. I would think this would apply to squirrels as well because they share the same habitat and food sources as many of the songbirds mentioned.

http://www.birdcare.com/birdon/birdcare/tipsheets/foods.html

Perhaps you could look into 'grubs'. Grubs are technically 'maggots' but generally feed exclusively on plant material. Otherwise, mealworms seem to be preferred.

TinyPaws
01-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Thank you..It is good to know, especially since they resemble (look) like waxworms it's easy for someone to assume they are ok to give..I always caution on the side of asking before acting...:)

treeman
01-12-2012, 08:38 PM
:jump

gs1
01-12-2012, 11:43 PM
:hidechair ... um if a couple turned into flies what would happen? the same as regular flies?

i vote for waxworms... not maggots... ugh ... :D

TinyPaws
01-13-2012, 12:16 AM
:hidechair ... um if a couple turned into flies what would happen? the same as regular flies?

i vote for waxworms... not maggots... ugh ... :D

There are different variety of fyies, but yeah all maggots turn into adult flies..and we know where flies love laying their eggs...

pappy1264
01-13-2012, 06:42 AM
And another vot for waxies...they turn into moths, and when they do, their calcium percentage increases, so in the moth form they are even healthier to feed. My gliders will take your finger off for one (that is why I always use my reptile tweezers for those!!! lol)

gs1
01-13-2012, 01:51 PM
And another vot for waxies...they turn into moths, and when they do, their calcium percentage increases, so in the moth form they are even healthier to feed. My gliders will take your finger off for one (that is why I always use my reptile tweezers for those!!! lol)

:) omg :rotfl pappy we should be raising moths!!! how does one do that??? :thinking i guess a cage with netting???? it bears thinking about!!! as long as those moths don't get into your woolies.... (um... woollen clothes for those not familiar with winter :D )

Tinypaws... yes i'd be scared of flies.... when i had rabbits i was really freaked.... and knowing you have tiffy and not knowing how mobile she is ... if a fly was to try to lay eggs on her.... i think she's ok .... but still better not to invite trouble.....:grouphug

i'm wondering something else with maggots ....

are there flies that prefer rabbits, squirrels etc... species specific like bot flies do ....

cause i'm wondering if in rabbits ... flies lay their eggs on usually handicapped rabbits that can't reach their bottoms etc.... well ...what about the baby squirrels here that have had flies lay their eggs in their ears etc...

it's totally gross to have a maggot discussion but i'm just wondering.... or maybe it was just a warm, moist place for the flies and they didn't really care that it was a squirrel ear compared to a rabbit bottom..... (hmmm i think i answered my own question :D)

gs1
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Thank you..It is good to know, especially since they resemble (look) like waxworms it's easy for someone to assume they are ok to give..I always caution on the side of asking before acting...:)

:thumbsup yes, yes you do.:)

pappy1264
01-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Want wax worm moths? Just keep em' for a while, they will coccoon and turn into moths before you know it! (I actually have a 22 gal. reptarium I will put a couple of gliders in at a time, and release the moths....the gliders jump and glide and catch em' in midair...pretty cool and not only are they eating, but 'hunting', which is a great enrichment!) They used to sell waxworm kits, so you could 'farm' them (will have to look to see if they still do).

TinyPaws
01-13-2012, 06:25 PM
I've seen the kits on ebay..Sounds like your gliders have a blast..

pappy1264
01-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Its fun to watch, actually! They get SO EXCITED! If anyone does do the waxworm kits, you need to make sure you have lots of cheese cloth! The 'babies' can get out of most things, but doubling up on cheese cloth keeps em' in! lol

Tum Tum
01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Dylan(tum tum), I gave him a few mealworms now and then, I had leopard geckos, so I gave him some mealworms and wax worms, he loved them!

TinyPaws
01-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Dylan(tum tum), I gave him a few mealworms now and then, I had leopard geckos, so I gave him some mealworms and wax worms, he loved them!

He eats waxworms every day..Those are his favorite..

stosh2010
01-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Want wax worm moths? Just keep em' for a while, they will coccoon and turn into moths before you know it! (I actually have a 22 gal. reptarium I will put a couple of gliders in at a time, and release the moths....the gliders jump and glide and catch em' in midair...pretty cool and not only are they eating, but 'hunting', which is a great enrichment!) They used to sell waxworm kits, so you could 'farm' them (will have to look to see if they still do).
VIDEO or PHOTO of that would be GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-27-2012, 08:57 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck :eek: :eek: :eek: