PDA

View Full Version : How to become a rehabber in SC?

baby-gurl
01-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Hello everyone!! I want to become a rehabber for squirrels in SC. I've spent hours researching how to go about it. I have had no luck with this state. I live 10 minuites from Georgia so I looked up that state requirements and found it off the bat. BUT I NEED SC! Can anyone guide me in the right direction please. I love all wildlife, but I'm crazy about squirrels. I wanna be able to do all I can for these adorable animals.

lilidukes
01-11-2012, 03:44 AM
There are no state licenses issued in SC anymore.

mpetys
01-11-2012, 04:46 AM
There are no state licenses issued in SC anymore.

Does that mean anyone can rehab and get vet care easily?

lilidukes
01-11-2012, 05:18 AM
Does that mean anyone can rehab and get vet care easily?

Anyone can rehab, finding good vet care is another thing. Even though it is legal it is hard to find SC vets willing to help without charging exotic animal fees.

SC always needs more peeps to take on these kids. I am associated with a rescue group that I take their sick and injured. I only get babies from them when everyone else is unable to take any more. I receive nothing but animals from my group, no formula, no meds, no cages etc. All expenses are mine.

If you can find a rescue group near you they will have classes in baby squirrel care.

rygel1hardt
01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/License/Documents/Wildlife_Rehabilitator_License_Application.pdf

lilidukes
01-11-2012, 03:56 PM
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/License/Documents/Wildlife_Rehabilitator_License_Application.pdf

That is NC not SC

baby-gurl
01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Thank you guys so much!!! Anyone know of any Vets in Aiken County?mjs

treeman
01-12-2012, 09:54 PM
I am in Charleston, SC. I am not a rehabber, per se, but because we are arborists we help the animals we sometimes displace. I do not know any vets in Aiken but it is my experience that the best way to find a vet to work with you in SC is to develop a trusted relationship with a vet you may already know. It is a kind of 'on the side' deal. If you have a dog or cat, talk to your vet at your next appointment about your plans and see if he/she is interested in assisting you REHAB squirrels. If they are not interested, ask them if they know of another vet that might be.

My vet will assist me with emergencies or off-the-wall stuff. I have to be very decisive about what I call in for because I don't want to turn him off with anything frivolous (He makes house calls for my racoon). Most established, community vets are genuinely interested in helping animals and will assist you as long as it doesnt get them in trouble with DHEC or DNR.

jo_schmoe
01-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Anyone can rehab, finding good vet care is another thing.
I couldn't agree more!! :D

jbtartell
01-18-2012, 01:59 PM
ok you are not far from me.I am in rock hill sc.few hours away . Look up ARC it is animal rehabilitation of the carolinas I can get you a number if you like we are always needing new rehabbers. All supplies are provided. You have to take the class of course..lol but it is worth it.. We are having one this weekend if you are interested. Pm me if you want a number or are interested..

Squrl
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
www.wildlife-rehab.com is in sc they are a good group that provides formula and Healthpoint in duncan sc will see a squirrel.