PDA

View Full Version : WATER DISPENSER

mrgntrusdl
01-09-2012, 11:19 PM
So I have two 8-9 week old Flyers. I bought one rodent water dispenser and one bird water dispenser. Which do you think would work best? And how lond before they catch on? :)

gs1
01-10-2012, 01:27 AM
welcome:Welcome

most flyer information can be found in this forum....

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

the squirrel board/ general/ breed specific/ breed specific/ general flying squirrel discussions....

i don't know the answer to your questions but i will post some nutritional information for flyers.... on your calcium questions thread....:D :thumbsup

sierrasmom97
01-10-2012, 05:25 AM
I have both types in my cages. I like the rodent water bottles because the water stays cleaner but with those types of water bottles the little ball can get stuck and then your flyer won't be able to get a drink. So I have a water silo in my cages also. A back up is never a bad idea.
This is the type of bird waterer that I have.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750996

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-10-2012, 08:19 AM
I have the rodent bottle with a ceramic bowl under it with more water so there is water which ever way he wants it, he drinks both ways!!:thumbsup :thumbsup

2ndHandRanchRescue
01-10-2012, 08:46 AM
See another day I learn something new! I use the rodent bottle but I think I'm getting water silos too - the ball sometimes gets stuck. Thanks guys!

sierrasmom97
01-10-2012, 08:51 AM
I almost lost Jacoby a few months after I got him. I didn't realize the ball had gotten stuck and he was SEVERELY dehydrated...to the point to where when I picked him up and laid him on my lap he just laid there. I rushed him to a vet about a half hour away and they gave him sub-q fluids immediately. It took him a few days to bounce back 100% but I learned my lesson. I ALWAYS have a back up source of water. These guys are so tiny it takes no time at all for the them to become dehydrated. The vet said it was most likely the apples & grapes that he had been eating at the time that saved him. There was just enough juice in the fruit to keep him alive. I felt horrible!! But thank God I was able to save him in time.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-10-2012, 05:00 PM
wow very scary

Margie
01-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I have had the plastic water bottles in Stormy Lee's cage since she was tiny, and the past couple of days she has decided they are very chewable. She has destroyed three of them! She is out of her cage right now with a small crock with water, but she doesn't seem to know how to drink from it. We've sealed up the holes in one water bottle and covered it with metal window screening held in place with hose clamps to try tonight when she is in her cage. Will they chew on the plastic on those bird water silos? I looked into ordering a glass chew proof bottle, but they have double metal balls in the spout and I read several complaints that small animals had trouble getting the water out. And it will take at least a week or two to get here if I order one. I might be able to get a bird water holder at Wal Mart tomorrow.

sierrasmom97
01-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I haven't had any chewing issues with the silos that I have..but I guess every squirrel is different..and anything is possible :)

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Just got a glass bottle today from Petco waiting to see how it goes, Simon eat his plastic one also. :rotfl

Margie
01-10-2012, 09:27 PM
I just ordered a glass bottle with a plastic cap and some freeze dried mealworms from Chris's. We'll try that when they arrive. The last order from Chris' took almost two weeks to get here. If she chews the plastic cap, I'll have to try the chew proof glass bottle with the metal cap.

FallensMommie
01-12-2012, 03:54 PM
I use this glass bottle and stainless steel cap. They come in different sizes and they are cheap...they come with a cute rubber duckie :D too so you can see the water height at a glimpse. I just check the ball thingy once a day to make sure its not stuck...never had a problem with them in the 4 yrs I have used it. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=17614

shellyb1018
01-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I use a glass water bottle, got it at Monster pets for 6.99 and hey have bigger glass ones too for 10.99. My girl has been drinking from it since she was a baby. Glass is best i think. Can you get the water silos in glass or do they only come in plastic??? That is a great back up source.

sierrasmom97
01-13-2012, 06:55 AM
I did find the silo in glass on Petco's site, but the base is still plastic so that kinda defeats the purpose if you have a chewer.

I also found these on petsmarts site..there is no little ball, rather a little valve. I've never had one of these so I have no idea how good/bad they are
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11180183

Chickenlegs
01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
That is the water dispenser that clogged resulting in a little squirrel almost dying of dehydration while we were away. We had a trustworthy caregiver but he didn't notice the water level wasn't going down and only changed the small water bottle trusting the larger one as backup. I'm not saying that bottle isn't fine as long as you're personally overseeing the day to day care of your babies but I'll NEVER trust a conventional waterbottle again for more than a day. I'm getting bird waterers for when I have to be gone for more than 24 hours.

mrgntrusdl
01-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Okay I should be good then I have one for birds and a glass/stainless steel rodent dispenser. Havent seen them use the rodent one yet but it's there if they need it!

Nancy in New York
01-14-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't have much experience with flyers, but I did babysit some for 4 months.
The flyers I had were still young and they needed to drink from a shallow bowl with pebbles or marbles in.
Their tongues are too small and there have been injuries using bottles, that's what I was told....and it worked out great!

Just a reminder....be very careful about the toilet. Make sure that you have a toilet ladder and that the seat is always down....I know how you men are...:poke :rotfl
Let me find the link to the toilet ladder and I will post it, as soon as I find it...:thumbsup

OK here's one of the links, it will show you a picture and explain how to make it.:thumbsup
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16124&highlight=toilet+ladder

cuteascnb
01-14-2012, 10:24 PM
:rotfl Sadie and Bandit both drink fine out of water bowls...I had started with a bottle but they just didn't get it...I just think they were to lazy to try!!!

mrgntrusdl
01-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Alrighty then. (: