PDA

View Full Version : Weird behavior

SammysMom
01-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Okay, I know I am a paranoid squammy, but Sammy acted really odd tonight. Sammy has a large outdoor cage (supposed to be a release cage...hahaha) that he spends his days in when it is warm enough. It is unseasonably warm here this year so that has been every day. Today, I didn't get home until 5ish so he was out a bit longer than usual. When I brought him in, I wore gloves since he was giving me the clickety-clacking teeth warning. I brought him in and he went dashing off to see what he could get into. Shortly after that the doorbell rang and it was my mother-in-law. Now he isn't friendly to anyone, but he generally just goes to his cage when she comes over. Tonight he went to his cage, but was making the loud warning noise that he NEVER makes indoors. Then, when I went over to reassure him he whimpered and cried and went into his house. Every time I spoke to him he whimpered sort of like he was talking. He was in his nest box and wouldn't come out.:shakehead Fortunately, Jake made him a beautiful box that has a hinged front so I could get at him. He cried and carried on even if I just looked at him. I did ignore him and pull him out to see if he was somehow injured and didn't see anything physical.:shakehead
After a while of my husband and me rubbing him and talking to him he seemed to come around to himself again. The whole thing freaked me out! Anyone have any words of wisdom or should I just forget it ever happened?:dono

cuteascnb
01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
He may of seen something that scared him???

JakesLittlePrincess
01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Poor little guy. Maybe something was bothering him outside? Or maybe the mother in law had a weird scent on her? I am glad he settled. Hope all is well. Sammy hugs from me and your little harem here.

UDoWhat
01-08-2012, 07:31 PM
He may have been frightened by something in the yard. A raccoon, hawk, cat, dog, fox, or anything may have tried to get to him. Also my wild squirrels are mating like crazy in MD. Squirrels screaming and fighting all day in the trees . Just crazy. :shakehead He may have smelled a female close by. Hope he will settle back down. I would keep him in for a few days if you are worried.

Marty

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I had several wilds screaming outside today, I went to find out what was going on, a new cat has entered the neighborhood.
Does your mother have a cat? he may have smelled something on her he didn't like.
I have Simon in a cage outside but only for short periods of time and I watch him constantly.
He doesnt make any squirrely noises tho

SammysMom
01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Well his cage is up on our front covered porch, but the wilds do come up to the cage. He generally ignores them or even hides in his box, but I did see him outside today when one of our wild juvies was lying on the railing sort of "keeping him company". I did think "hussy!", at the time, but sort of forgot about it. Maybe his hormones are a bit confused.
We will see how tomorrow goes and maybe will have to stay inside. That will be unpleasant for everyone in this house though. His schedule includes going outdoors and darn it he does NOT like any changes in his schedule!
Just having all of your reassuring wealth of knowledge available kept me from really freaking out. :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

island rehabber
01-08-2012, 08:24 PM
This is prime nookie season for squirrels in our area, SM! I'm willing to bet the frenzy and the chasing and maybe a sweet-smelling girl squirrel nearby made little Sammy crazy. :icon_devil

SammysMom
01-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Well he certainly was acting like a big crybaby! Probably NOT the best way to get a date! :jump :rotfl :jump

UDoWhat
01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Well he certainly was acting like a big crybaby! Probably NOT the best way to get a date! :jump :rotfl :jump
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Marty

SammysMom
01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Maybe he thought she was interested in the "sensitive type".:jump

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-08-2012, 08:54 PM
ur too funny:rotfl

SammysMom
01-08-2012, 09:13 PM
I may be able to laugh now, but I was crying earlier. Now I see I was crying because my baby is a horn-dog!:sanp3 :sanp3 :sanp3

JLM27
01-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Sometimes they hear something upsetting that you can't hear, either because of its faintness or pitch. I was sitting with Pookie Pie one day and Chubbykins was there teasing her, when they just suddenly stopped and hunched down and began moaning. I think I figured out it was a pump someone had started on the other side of a five story house. They could hear it, but I could not, and I bet squirrels don't hear sounds as we do anyway. I think maybe they hear our voices as very low pitched, for example. We kind of know this somehow, because we raise our voices to a higher pitch often when we talk to them. JMO

SammysMom
01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Very good point JLM! I also find that much less embarrassing than the "horn-dog" theory"! :rotfl

SammysMom
01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Here are some pics from after his little melt down! ...and Boo Kitty's facial "opinion" of his nonsense.

UDoWhat
01-08-2012, 09:34 PM
He looked exhausted from the stress of asking for his first date.:rotfl Now that cat looks like it has been around the block a few times. :jump

Marty

Nancy in New York
01-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Just a little resizing on the picture....:)
Now that's a very sympathetic kitty you have there....:rotfl

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/TSB%20photos/sam201-12.jpg

JakesLittlePrincess
01-09-2012, 04:42 AM
Wow Sammy!!! You sure know how to pout! Hope you are better today and that the hussy has moved on.

SammysMom
01-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Thank-you all! Especially Nancy for the resizing. Didn't notice it was enormous...duh!:sanp3
He was as sweet as pie this morning. Sat in my lap etc, but then was ready to go outside. I tried just putting his breakfast in his indoor cage with the door open and that was not a success. He came out to the kitchen where I was, got my attention and walked over to chew the woodwork. Looking right at me while he did it!!! When I went toward him to stop him, he ran to the front door and sat on the radiator next to it waiting to go out. We repeated this a few times and finally I relented.
I will report later as to whether he is still being a weirdo!
One thing I noticed is that he seems to sort of rub his teeth together more than usual. Sort of that lip smacking thing they all seems to do. His teeth look okay to me, but I will keep an eye on them. He doesn't seem to e in pain but I am watching that too as I know teeth grinding can be pain.
Have a good day all!!!

pappy1264
01-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I agree, he saw or heard something (more likely actually heard something. I have noticed this in many of my guys....when they can hear it but not see it, seems to upset them even more. The whimpering is very suspect he heard something, very likely even while inside.) Glad to hear he is back to his usual self!

UDoWhat
01-09-2012, 09:00 AM
If he wanted to go out, he will he just fine. Squirrels really do like their routine and "same old same old". What ever it was/is didn't make him fearful to go out. That is a good sign. Sometimes the chattering teeth can mean aggravation at something too. (Like Mom, " Don't listen to that lady. I want to go out, darn it!!) As you said, just watch for any other signs.

Marty