PDA

View Full Version : sexing new born squirrel

moss
01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm just curious as to whether it's hard to sex new born squirrels. I've heard that it's easy to tell whether a squirrel is a girl or boy but can you tell when they are first born?

island rehabber
01-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm just curious as to whether it's hard to sex new born squirrels. I've heard that it's easy to tell whether a squirrel is a girl or boy but can you tell when they are first born?

yes. the differences are quite clear right from day one. :D

Gabe
01-11-2007, 06:53 AM
It's the same as sexing a dog.

thundersquirrel
01-14-2007, 09:36 PM
my rat had ten babies once (NOT my fault but i had so much fun with them). when she got comfortable enough to let me touch them, i had to sex them. i think they were between two and three weeks old. i sexed them all correctly within ten minutes. i was amazed how easy it was.

it's the adult squirrels that are hard to sex, especially in winter. little boys pack their things away in their fur, understandably. :D got anything you need to sex?

Somebody's Mother
01-30-2007, 06:05 PM
this picture is from another thread, it was posted by squirrelsandbunniestoo(sorry i messed up your name)
but if you look at the squirrel on the righthand side it is evident he is male. and the one on the left is apparently a female. the one at the top?? i don't know.
but as you can plainly see there is a difference!!!!

acorniv
03-21-2007, 10:33 AM
When I got Miss Hickory ( was Hercules Hickory) at about 5.5 weeks, everyone thought it was a male, but I read and heard from members here that the genitals are probably too close to her tail . They stuck out a lot, but she was really emaciated, and I now think it was that the vulva became like a little flap of skin and hung away from the body a bit. I've had a good look, now that she's healthier and it looks like a vulva, more of a puffy bit with a little slit instead of penis shape. It's still prominent, but then I never oggled a squirrel's nether regions before :D

Anyway - if your babies are underweight, consider it may alter the looks of some body parts.

I'll try to remember to post here if I find I'm fooled again.

Laurel

Somebody's Mother
03-21-2007, 11:38 AM
yes. the differences are quite clear right from day one. :D

unless you happen to be my vet! :rotfl

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Here is a picture of Zippy proudly showing off what a girl squirrel looks like:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r299/4bunnies/000_3372.jpg

Somebody's Mother
03-21-2007, 07:04 PM
sometimes i find it hard to believe how easy it is to talk about determining the sex of squirrels and their anatomies. flashing the poor little critters privates for all the world to see. :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

acorniv
03-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Zippy's quite the exhibitionist! Miss Hickory would not let me have more than furtive peeks until yesterday, when I found her sacked out on her back, spread eagle. She looks like Zippy. Thanks for the picture - she's adorable!:Love_Icon

Laurel

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
03-21-2007, 08:13 PM
No problem. Zippy just loves showing it off for all the world to see.

thundersquirrel
03-21-2007, 10:25 PM
ugh. it's real easy now, just wait until they're adult squirrels, blocked by fur and snarling away at your evil hands. :shakehead i'm surprised they even sleep at night, it's a wonder they aren't constantly alert.

TexanSquirrel
03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Zippy = :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

ljhpsauce
04-06-2007, 01:53 AM
:wave123 i had the same probs... and i work:nurse along side with vets!!!even they where unsure!!! as when they are dehydrated that area seams to look a little swollen and its hard to tell ......But although you have a photo of your females private bits, do you have a photo of a males private bits so that we may compare the differences in appearance....this would be very helpfull .....:thankyou kind wishes to all of you guy from a:newb....ljhpsauce(lisaxxx)

ljhpsauce
04-06-2007, 02:24 AM
:wave123 i had the same probs... and i work:nurse along side with vets!!!even they where unsure!!! as when they are dehydrated that area seams to look a little swollen and its hard to tell ......But although you have a photo of your females private bits, do you have a photo of a males private bits so that we may compare the differences in appearance....this would be very helpfull .....:thankyou kind wishes to all of you guy from a:newb....ljhpsauce(lisaxxx):thumbsup OK Thanks every one ive got it!!!now!!! shes a girl....Aawww!:Love_Icon