PDA

View Full Version : Overwintering?

treeman
01-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Spice is 14+ wks and she is to be released. I live in Charleston, SC where the weather is mostly mild but January/February are the coldest months. Our high humidity and wind can make the cold days seem so much colder. I'm from central Virginia and 40's in SC feels like 20's in VA to me!

I've never overwintered a squirrel. Am I correct to assume that I need keep Spice with me until Spring/March? If so and if necessary, when do I phase her into a full-time outside cage? I put her outside all day when the temps are over 40F now and bring her in at night. She seems calm and comfortable right now. She doesn't seem chunky or to have a very heavy coat. I've been following the diet on the nutrition page. Blocks only in AM and some brocolli and mixed greens with a pecan or fruit treat in PM. I can still get some acorns but I'm not sure what else wilds eat in the winter.

I would need to get her a bigger cage. I've been looking at ferret/sugar glider cages that average 30X18x55. Is this a suitable size?

Not sure where I need to go from here. :dono

Jackie in Tampa
01-05-2012, 05:33 AM
http://charleston.craigslist.org/pet/2703333978.html

this homemade cage is nice and could double as a release cage if tweaked a little!!! Try offering them $75...that's what it will essentially cost to build it with hardware etc.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/pet/2775971472.html

if this listing is truly a Critter Nation with horizontal bars...this is a nice cage...a decent price...very rare to find a Criitter Nation used.
however if it is Ferret Nation, the bar spacing is larger than I would recommend...but others do use cages with 3/4 to 1 inch spacing...:shakehead

http://charleston.craigslist.org/for/2771603435.html

nice cage!!!!!:thumbsup
by getting this off the ground, awesome cage!!!!

Not sure how far you are willing to go or how muych is in the BUDGET...
but these are all listed on Craigs list in Charleston area!

Bar spacing is important if using as a release cage...not advisable to use larger than 1/2 x 1 , need to keep the preditors away. Racooons can and will snatch sqs thru the bars if the bar spacing allows.
Also, anything that has a plastic tray/pan as the cage bottom...NO NO NO!
Ferrets do not chew like sqs, they have cat like teeth. Sqs will chew out first day! or...the next day..:rotfl Honest!:)

Wheels are a plus....but don't rule one out...just add wheels.

Hope you find one fast...space is important too!
A small cage can cause injuries!
Good luck!:thumbsup

EDIT...remember to bleach with 10% bleach solution, allowing the bleach to sit for 20 minutes before rinsing well...
never use a cage without a good cleaning!

treeman
01-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Wow, Jackie!!! :thankyou You have been such a blessing!

I really like the first cage. I'm willing to spend up to $250 if necessary.

Luckily, for whatever reason, Spice has turned a new leaf over the holidays. No more biting or charging. Acutually very lovable. She kisses and cleans ears and plays games! :D .....and has been calm and likes to sit and watch and nibble on blocks. I definitely need to get her cage before this 'phase' is over! hopefully, by this weekend.

Yes, I've considered the racoon question. People ask if Baby (our pet racoon) likes Spice. I would NEVER let Baby even lay eyes on Spice. She would gobble her up in a second! However, Baby's smell does deter other racoons and animals to an extent. I would put the cage outside Baby's part of the house.

Jackie in Tampa
01-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Bird Cage (Sumter, SC)

Date: 2012-01-04, 5:11PM EST
Reply to: comm-mqdsn-2783479659@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads? (http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/replying_to_posts)]
Very Large birdcage on wheels with slide out tray on bottom for easy cleaning, storage underneath, 2 large doors that latch close on top and and bottom and 2 small doors on each side. $75.00 firm. DO NOT SEND ME SPAM I WILL REPORT YOU!!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interestshttp://images.craigslist.org/5G35H15Ja3F43I43Hec14b080e779f4af19a2.jpg
I use this type cage for my single NRs and sometimes for one or two {max if still small}juvies...
$75 is ok price if not real rusty.
These cages clean easy and well.
They are not huge but with out of cage time they work.
I am space shy and squirrel heavy...I have several of these...
would love to convert a barn....big cages...big recliner and NOT IN MY HOUSE!:rotfl
these cage are safe:thumbsup
Henrys sells them new $150ish...
Too small as a release cage IMO.
Sqs need to be outside for weeks to months, longer than they can stay in this size cage without being insane...jmo.
I put a wood feeding shelf and just enough room for a hammock mid way, a log, a cube up top, a boa and the bottom free for rumbling with a hedgie..the right bar spacing!:thumbsup
I always cover the cage top with a thick bath mat or thick secure fleece blankie...even with hardware cloth cages, I have heard so many broken bone stories running across and slipping...eek.

When inquiring about cage, I always explain that a break in price would be awesome as it is not for a PET but a rescue:Love_Icon
We have be graciously gifted many times abd have met wonderful peeps along the way!
Craigslist is good!