PDA

View Full Version : I met a friendly squirrel recently...

Squirrelly Squirrel
01-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Greetings all. Let me explain what brought me here, to the Squirrel Board...

I live in Boston MA, and this city has TONS of trees and (likely therefore) tons of squirrels. Most of Boston's squirrel population goes about it's business avoiding humans whenever possible. The local squirrels let us humans watch them, but approaching is pretty much out of the question. (Some exceptions exist on the Boston Common and Public Garden, but they are few.)

Early in 2011, I met a squirrel who was different than the others. He appeared one day on my back porch. When I exited the house, this squirrel approached me and then followed me to my vehicle. I noticed him, but had to run. I carefully drove away, andf forgot about this friendly squirrel. Until the next day, when he returned.

When I noticed this squirrel on day 2, I grabbed some peanuts and went outside. Here is our interaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fgTKQXHGxA

Over the past year, the squirrel and I have become close friends. I have tons of photos and videos documenting our friendship that I would like to share with the world, and this board seems like a place to do it! (I had no idea this place existed until I did a google search.)

CritterMom
01-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Yes, you are indeed in the right place!:Welcome

Sometimes, wild animal individuals simply decide they will be our friends. I had two chipmunks this year that did - came right to me, sat in my lap, allowed themselves to be petted...like tame animals. It is nice that you took the time to recognise this with your little friend - they are engaging and entertaining creatures, not to mention extremely intelligent. As I'm sure you know!

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-01-2012, 04:00 PM
What a cutie!!
So Glad you noticed and befriended each other:D
What did you name him?

island rehabber
01-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Beautiful healthy squirrel. He sure is tame....but be careful anyway, especially handing him a nut. They don't see well directly in front of them, and often mistake your fingertip for a nut -- OW! :D

Fireweed
01-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Hi, Squirrelly Squirrel! :Welcome You are definitely in the right place! I think you'll find many kindred spirits here. :)

I also would like to know what you named your friend.
The video was sweet. And you even caught him/her doing the Hand-Jive! (Sweeping the snow back and forth over whatever has been buried). :thumbsup
The video (and your feet) reminded me of another thread on this board: Pat the Outdoor Squirrel and Co. (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21685) by member Tomcics. :tilt

Well, I don't want to keep you too long, reading this reply. Seems you have a lot of stories, pictures, and videos to post for us! Get crackin! :poke :D

HRT4SQRLS
01-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Hello Squirrelly Squirrel--Welcome to TSB. You definitely have found an audience for all those pics and videos. Everyone here "loovveess" everything squirrel . Can't get enough. You will find that TSB has members across the entire country and almost every continent (except maybe Antarctica) so you can definitely share them with the world. I'm fairly new here also and I once was normal but now ALL I study is squirrelly stuff !!!

Squirrelly Squirrel
01-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks everyone. Ive been registered and perusing this board for about a month or so, and it was time I posted. So much content here, it's fantastic.

What did you name him?

This is probably surprising, but I haven't named him. And I'm not sure why.

pappy1264
01-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Awww, looks like my Bean! Sure is a friendly one. Wonder if he was handraised and released? Great video. I'm sure he is so happy to have you as his buddy!

madtowntom
01-01-2012, 04:55 PM
That squirrel has you trained well and is building up a nice stash for the long winter. As long as you keep doing what he wants you to he will continue to let you think that you are the smarter one:Welcome

Squirrelly Squirrel
01-01-2012, 04:59 PM
The video (and your feet) reminded me of another thread on this board: Pat the Outdoor Squirrel and Co. (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21685) by member Tomcics. :tilt

What a great thread. Some of his experiences ring familiar to me... I hope I can write about them half as well as he did.

cuteascnb
01-01-2012, 05:23 PM
:Welcome TO TSB!!! He is a cutie!

squirrelsinthehood
01-01-2012, 05:42 PM
but be careful anyway, especially handing him a nut. They don't see well directly in front of them, and often mistake your fingertip for a nut -- OW! :D

That was how I learned my lesson!

But your visitor sure looks like he or she is very healthy! Feel free to share your pics and videos! :)

2ndHandRanchRescue
01-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Welcome! Yep we sure love squirrels here. :Welcome

astra
01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
yeah, what everyone said!
Now, where is your new thread, with pics and stories?....:poke :poke :multi

JakesLittlePrincess
01-01-2012, 07:25 PM
:Welcome :Welcome :Welcome
Cute video! Very brave of you to give a hazelnut but like others said just be careful. I usually give a pecan or a brazilian nut because they are longer.

Squirrelly Squirrel
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I'll get a thread going soon, I promise. Later tonight, most likely. I will not leave everyone hanging!

For now:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/faybio/aa-3.jpg

Squirrelly Squirrel
01-02-2012, 04:59 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/faybio/gifs/squirrelchewing.gif

little susie
01-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Gotta love those choppers!!!!!!:grouphug

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-02-2012, 07:10 PM
oh yeah he's squirrely

JakesLittlePrincess
01-02-2012, 07:56 PM
that is so cute!

pappy1264
01-05-2012, 09:07 AM
OMG....I want that as my screensaver!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Bravo
01-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Great footage on your Youtube clip. You've got a friend for sure. :thumbsup

jakid709
01-05-2012, 01:17 PM
So cute, I guess I don't have to worry my Rocky's feet being cold anymore. Walking on snow, I was wearing shorts and flip flops a week ago. Another thing about feeding him/her is don't let him know you have more than 1 nut in hand, Rocky gets very piggy with nuts and will try to scratch and bite my hand to get them all at once. Try cracking the nut , he may eat it and not bury it, so cute.

Stanley
01-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I had a really friendly gal sql who comes up to our fire escape (4th FL) to get treats. She did the "hi, I'm cute -- got any food?" routine so well on the first meeting, it got me thinking that she had human contact earlier and it was positive. I suspect that's what happened with your new friend.

Friendly squirrels probably had a positive human interaction at a younger age and now look up to you for a little friendly interaction and of course some tasty treats. I think we get the best part of the bargain, with their kitten-like play, the expressive tailbush, and their abilities to effortlessly fly through the air to grab a limb.

"Scooter" stopped coming around last September, after several years of very regular appearances and I really miss her. With a wild sql, who knows why? So cherish the fun you have together as much as possible.

Squirrelly Squirrel
01-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Another thing about feeding him/her is don't let him know you have more than 1 nut in hand, Rocky gets very piggy with nuts and will try to scratch and bite my hand to get them all at once. Try cracking the nut , he may eat it and not bury it, so cute.

This is exactly what happens with Squirrelly (he has been named). I can't say when I came to the realization, but somewhere along the line I noticed that nuts out of shell get eaten and "in shell" get saved.

Squirrelly Squirrel
01-07-2012, 12:35 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/faybio/a.jpg

Squirrelly Squirrel
01-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Friendly squirrels probably had a positive human interaction at a younger age and now look up to you for a little friendly interaction and of course some tasty treats. I think we get the best part of the bargain, with their kitten-like play, the expressive tailbush, and their abilities to effortlessly fly through the air to grab a limb.

Effortless AND surprising...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/faybio/gifs/flyingsquirrel2.gif

Squirrelly Squirrel
01-07-2012, 01:53 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/faybio/gifs/handfeedsquirrell.gif

Curliesmom
01-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi you have a very cute little buddy there. I was wondering are you sure its a boy? Kinda looks female from the large picture. I have a male and a female. I find that they are incredibly smart and playful. Be careful with him/her because even the ones with human experience can get bitey and agressive sometimes. But honestly he/she is adorable. Simply cute. :)

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-07-2012, 07:58 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/faybio/a.jpg

How cute!!! Looks like she is saying "Hey we need some food out here!!"

Squirrelly Squirrel
01-08-2012, 10:01 AM
I was wondering are you sure its a boy? Kinda looks female from the large picture.
I haven't a clue as to the sex of my buddy, although I've wondered. The designation of "he" came by default- I will now refer to her as she!

pappy1264
01-15-2012, 09:32 AM
How is your little friend doing? Yeah, looking at that pic, does look female, but can't see it clearly. The pic on the screen...that is Bean...she looks in like 'HELLO....ANYBODY THERE?' lol

RatLadyofHanover
01-19-2012, 04:42 AM
Great pictures! I'm thinking your friend previously worked as a model!