PDA

View Full Version : Just Put Babies Outside How Long will they Hide??

vickyjhnsn
12-30-2011, 01:29 PM
I have not been on for a while, all my six kids are doing great. I just put Jack, Jill, Pat and Kat outside in a very large cage. Its predator proof, and I worked on it for a long time to get it perfect. It is right outside my back door, has a roof. Its 11 feet tall four feet deep and four feet wide. Plenty of branches and perches and antler hung, and two nest boxes.

I put them out on Christmas Eve. They immediately went into the smaller nest box and never came out. The nest box has a heating pad along the back so its nice and warm but we have had some warm days, including today where its in the 60s and they have not come out. They will come out to eat and drink and I only know that because their food is gone and their water bottle had to be refilled today. If I offer them nuts only Jill will come out to get one, the others stay in, so I throw it inside the box.

My question is, how long will it take them not to be scared and start playing in this huge awesome cage I got for them and come out of the nest box. Its the smaller one and I hate that they are stuck in this tiny box all the time. The weather has been so nice. Even today I went out there and called them and tried to entice them with nuts and they ignored me.

Another concern is them fighting. I can hear them fighting inside and it seems to me that Jill and Jack might be keeping Kat and Patricia inside the box and away from the food. She yells at them every time they stick their heads up. Has anyone seen one squirrel maybe starve out another one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

crazysquirrels
12-30-2011, 03:49 PM
The fighting is the dominince thing. Maybe they are not ready for outside. My guess would be 1 week before they are out and about unless the ones being bullied are not eating. In that case move them out of there.

vickyjhnsn
12-30-2011, 08:01 PM
I'd say they were overdue to go outside. They are all over 18 weeks old. I'm overwintering them. Its been a week today. I was just wondering for those of you that have put them outside. They all sleep together in the same nest box and have been for two months.

I know this is the place to go for people who really know the answer. I just want to make sure this is normal. I did get Jack and Jill to come out of the nest box to eat and got to pet them but they won't leave the side of the nest box.