PDA

View Full Version : Lily T Squirrel

teareon
12-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi everyone!
My name is Teareon. Last August my children ran to me to let me know that a neighbourhood kid had found a squirrel under a tree. I went to check it out, and there she was, my Lily. She was VERY young, like a pinkie, only the faintest hint of fur. She was found at the base of a tree, being eaten by red ants, dozens of them. She was covered in bite marks. Lily was not in a very good place. We took her in and hoped for the best.
I syringe fed her, but an amazing thing also happened. At the time we had a mother cat and her 3 week old kittens. Well, Momma cat took on the tiny squirrel, and nursed her alongside her own babies. Even once Lily's teeth sprouted, Momma cat cared for her, feeding and grooming her. Lily was raised surrounded by love.
When Lily was about 7 months old sh chewed her way through my bedroom window screen. I came home to find the hole, and no Lily :( I searched and search... it was April but there was still snow everywhere and it was very cold, i didn't want my Lily to die. I eventually found her in my neighbour's tree. I held out my hand and Lily jumped on it, perched herself on my shoulder, and came back inside. What a moment that was!!
Unfortunately from then on Lily found any way possible to go back outside until eventually she "released" herself and built her first tree nest. Lily spent the summer outside living amongst the wild squirrels, but she would still come back every day for food and water. Eventually the weather turned cold and once again Lily came home, this time to stay. She has a "nest" in our basement where she is found from sunset to sunrise. During that time she is the sweetest squirrel ever, still plays nicely, loves to snuggle... just like the "good old days".
But we have a problem now. During the day she comes and and wants food. She has taken to biting. Our children have learned to leave the room when Lily comes in, but they have still gotten the odd bite. My husband and i have been bitten often.

We love Lily so much. She means the world to me. I worry though. She can't be fully wild as she has no fear of humans, nor does she fear cats or dogs. She is also used to having her food provided. She does forage wild squirrel foods, she is a master tree nest builder, she interacts with the wild squirrels no problem... but at the same time she is very tame.

I don't know what to do anymore. The biting is becoming a bit much, especially knowing what diseases are out there, being half wild and all. Also, and this is a big one. We are moving in a few months. I would leave her here, all the neighbours know of her and would take excellent care of her, but the people who buy our home will have to deal with a squirrel trying to get inside all the time, and that can be a scary thing! We can bring her with us, but then we have to "explain" her to everyone around us. It wouldn't be fair to them to not warn them of the "friendly" squirrel that might go to them for food, and possibly bite. The optimal solution i believe would be to find her a wild life sanctuary where she can roam free, but still rely on human assistance, but not such thing exists where i am.

The idea of giving her away, of taking her away from her family... it breaks my heart. Will she miss us? She isn't like any other wild squirrel. I mean, she knows her name and comes when called! She's a smart girl. She's also still very connected to the mother cat who helped keep her alive, will taking her from the cat mess with Lily's head?

I know that we probably should have found her a real rescue when we first got her... but in reality that wasn't an option as there is no such place around. I know that allowing her to be half wild, half tame was probably a bad idea. I know we did a lot of things wrong, but all that is too late now.

Please, can somebody tell me what to do??? Or at least point me in the right direction? This is breaking my heart.

Skul
12-27-2011, 04:50 PM
My first thought would be to find a local rehabber that can take her in for re-release.
The rehabber should have one or more outdoor cages that Lily would stay in for approx. two weeks.
After that time, she should have grown used to the area, and other squirrels.
He/she can then open the door, and allow Lily to begin a new life.

teareon
12-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Thank you so much for the reply. As far as i know there are no rehabilitators in my area. The closest thing we have is a wild bird sanctuary, but i think they have closed!

teareon
12-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Also... Lily is a "banned" pet :( I fear if I call someone local and ask for advice we will get into trouble and she will be taken. I can't bear the thought of something happening to her :(

Skul
12-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Hard call then.
Best thing would to be NOT let her back into the house for any reason.
If you wish to give her treats (I know you will), take them as far from the house as possible.
You need to break her of the house habit at all costs.

teareon
12-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Ok. That would be an excellent first step!

but... ugh, it's winter. I live way up in Canada, lol. Her winter home is inside. She has never made a winter nest. Is that something that should come naturally? Should I wait until spring? Our cold is nasty cold, I don't want her to freeze. Should I let her sleep inside but only feed her outside?

And what about her lack of fear? She does NOT run from cats or dogs. She tries to chase them. What if I release her and she runs into an animal she can't scare off? And humans, again, no fear. What if she is released and turns to others for food, and bites? Or bites their children?

I really don't know that releasing her here is a good idea, however there is a giant forrest behind our area, would she do ok in there? It's mostly pine/maple and some oaks... we've seen the odd squirrel in it over the years, but not nearly as much as one would think. Should we maybe wait till the spring and try releasing her there?

Another option would be our cottage, but I don't recall seeing greys in that area... but it would be a safe place away from others and free of cats and dogs... but we aren't there that often and she would be hard to check on.

Oh, it sucks so bad to love something so much knowing you'll soon have to say goodbye!

teareon
12-27-2011, 05:21 PM
and another thing... she has been with us for just over 16 months... can she be successfully released after so long?

Sorry I have so many questions! I just want to make sure I do this right

Skul
12-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Oh boy, you do have a difficult problem.
This is something I really can't answer without serious thought.
Let's see if anyone else on the board might have an idea or two.
This may take a while, so be patient...as in a couple days or so.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
12-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Welcome..

Unfortunately from what I have read here, your Lily sounds like she has only 2 options.

1. Is to consider her unreleasable because of her lack of fear and take her with you but try to un-wild her as much as possible by not allowing her outside. This may be very hard because she has already had the taste of it and may become depressed.

2. Find a rehabber who can teach her to be afraid of dogs and cats and prepare her for a full release.

This is a tough one because I know you love her and she is your baby, but you can't just leave her to become victim to what ever lurks in your back yard.
You must be very careful who you speak to, if Squirrels are a "no no" in your area they will take her and have her put down as a nuisance and not bother to try to teach her to not be afraid.
In the end it is your decision what to do with her, either will be hard . I am hoping someone will be on soon that may know of someone in your area who can help you.
These people are amazing and you have come to the right place.

Nancy in New York
12-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Well I'm glad that you are asking the questions now while you still have some time. I think you will get many opinions on this. At least you know all of the things NOT to do the next time...:poke , and you admit it, (we've all made mistakes) so no use beating you over the head....:rotfl :rotfl

I currently have one too that is in the re re release stage. He was overwintered from 2010. Released in May 2011 came back with a broken leg. Released again in July, came back after being in a fight with a squirrel. NOW, comes and goes into the garage which we have to keep opened at all times, in case he decides he wants back inside...which he always does.
He really hasn't made up his mind yet, and truthfully....he cannot be a December, or Janurary release, so his out time is going to be limited if any until the spring...:shakehead

WOW you really have a problem because of moving, and of course him being friendly with cats and dogs....:shakehead I have to think about this one, but I'm sure you will get many opinions. Perhaps you will want to start your thread in the non life threatening section, you may get more suggestions there....:thumbsup

Oh, and welcome to TSB!!!!!!!:)

island rehabber
12-27-2011, 05:42 PM
My first thought would be to find a local rehabber that can take her in for re-release.
The rehabber should have one or more outdoor cages that Lily would stay in for approx. two weeks.
After that time, she should have grown used to the area, and other squirrels.
He/she can then open the door, and allow Lily to begin a new life.

:goodpost I agree completely. Unfortunately Lily's life will be endangered if you leave her when you move, or take her to a new environment. People will NOT be understanding of her trying to get in their house, nor will they take kindly to her biting them or their kids. She will be maimed or killed.
A good rehabber will do the one thing that nobody has done to Lily so far: ignore her. :D She needs to be ignored by people and cats alike, and to watch wild squirrels from a safe enclosure at first, and then to go off and find her own food. She has already been outside, so she has some foraging skills already.

teareon
12-27-2011, 05:43 PM
I do love her so much <3 and want nothing but the best for her.

Is there a way to post a picture of her on here? Or a link to a youtube video of her?

teareon
12-27-2011, 05:45 PM
I've looked up a rehab place but i can't find any in my area. The best we have seems to be the humane society, but i'm 100% sure they would "dispose" of her :(

island rehabber
12-27-2011, 05:49 PM
teareon, we will put the word out thru our Canadian members and see if someone can help you. Many good rehabbers stay 'unlisted', so you won't find them in directories or online. Don't give up -- there's someone out there who can give your girl back to the squirrelly life she needs!

teareon
12-27-2011, 05:49 PM
I live near Ottawa Ontario... does anybody know of anything around here? Or really anywhere in Ontario? I'm willing to drive far is it means she gets a good life

teareon
12-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Thank you so much already you guys!

island rehabber
12-27-2011, 05:52 PM
teareon, I just gave you full access so you can post pix, videos, etc.
You must tell me about that name.....it's so different and very beautiful!

Sweet Simon's Mommy
12-27-2011, 05:59 PM
and another thing... she has been with us for just over 16 months... can she be successfully released after so long?

There are never too many questions and you already are doing the right thing by asking your questions here !!

astra
12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Hi teareon,

Yes, if you bring her to the humane society, or wildlife centre they will euthanize her because she is not releasable.
So will do most rehabbers.

There might be a possibility, but if it can be realized, will you be willing to drive towards Toronto?... how far can you drive?

teareon
12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Here are a few pictures of Lily T Squirrel... aka Lil Squill, Squilly, Squillery, lol... the last is of her when she first came to us

astra
12-27-2011, 06:02 PM

the way I see it, it's not the time/age/how many months that is the problem here, but the fact that she is not afraid of cats and dogs.
Since she was raised by a cat, I, personally, doubt she will ever begin to consider cats as predators.

cuteascnb
12-27-2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.ottawahumane.ca/wildlife/orphanedwildlife.cfm#orphanhelp

Okay so Im not sure how far you are from ontario but I looked on the website for your areas humane society and it lists 2 rehab facilities that are closest to you...

This may be your best bet...you may have to travel but its the best thing to do! Many times there are people willingto meet you 1/2 way! The only problem that I see with this is that in your area it says you can only keep a "wild" animal for no more then 24 hours....

Here are my three suggestions:

1. Take her with you, keep her as a pet, build her a LARGE cage, with lots of tree limbs and a door you can go in but locks to keep her inside!

2. Call one of the places below...dont give them your name (if your worried about getting in trouble) but ask them what they could do! If thats a no go you only have one other option!...

3. Release her somewhere further from home...in a wooded area! If you realese her in your backyard...chances are she will still try to get back in when you move and then who ever moves in may call animal control!

Is the Juvenile or Baby Animal Really an Orphan?
Many young animals may appear to be orphaned, but actually may be doing just fine on their own. Below is more information on the young of species you may encounter, to help you decide whether or not they need to be rescued. If you determine the animal is indeed an orphan, contact one of the following organizations to inquire about wildlife rehabilitation services in your area.

•Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources at 613-258-8204.
•Ontario Wildlife Rehabilitation and Education Network at 905-735-9556 or by email at info@owren-online.org.

Nancy in New York
12-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Beautiful....I can see why you are in love with her.
I couldn't agree more with finding a rehab place to take her....and release can actually be done. I have heard of squirrels being in captivity for 2 years and having successful releases. As was said, just needs to be done by a "professional" who has no attachment to her.
What area will you be moving to? I wonder if we have members closer to where you will be relocating?

cuteascnb
12-27-2011, 06:08 PM
LOVE THE PICS

Ottawa County (North Gower): Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary
Tel: 613-258-9480
E-mail: rideauwildlife@ripnet.com

Here is another but they are closed for winter and are not reopening till Spring :-(

teareon
12-27-2011, 06:10 PM
I will be moving about an hours drive from Ottawa. I can build her a cage, that wouldn't be a problem. Actually I should get to that soon as I fear she will get pregnant :/ Is there a site with good building instructions?

teareon
12-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh North Gower... That's really close! Thanks!! Even if they are closed till spring, it's better than the alternatives so far. Should we cage her until then? And if so, should we place it in our living area, or in the basement away from everyone?

Nancy in New York
12-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Here's a great link for cage building ideas.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1311713

cuteascnb
12-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Well it sounds to me that even though she has her adventures she is more of a pet...however keeping her in the basement may help detatch the bond a little...

CritterMom
12-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Is the new place you are moving squirrel friendly - trees, etc? Why not bring her with you, build a release cage, and re-do the release process in the new location. If you have a garage or carport it might be an ideal place. You could then have the best of both worlds - continue to have her in the new location.

teareon
12-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Right now she gets in and out through the cat door in our basement window. Do you think building a cage that is both inside and outside would be good? That way she would be kept apart from the cats who would hopefully then turn into predators? Idk how to explain what I am picturing!!

teareon
12-27-2011, 06:37 PM
The way our neighborhood is set up she has very little access to roads. In our new home we will be on a normal street but in a very small town with tons of trees. I think we might build her a cage now, and bring it with us to try and release her there. Really I have no idea what we will do with her!

teareon
12-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Or we have the cottage, maybe releasing her there would be better. There are no cats and the only other dog is tied up at all times. There are a few people but not many, maybe a dozen or so, and none at all in the winter months. Does that sound like a safer area?

teareon
12-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I can't figure out how to link a video of her, but if you YouTube Lily T Squirrel there are a few of them, including one of her nursing as an infant :)

teareon
12-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Sorry I keep babbling away!! It's very exciting for me to be able to speak of her... We tend to keep quiet about Lily, only our families and neighbors know, lol

Nancy in New York
12-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Sorry I keep babbling away!! It's very exciting for me to be able to speak of her... We tend to keep quiet about Lily, only our families and neighbors know, lol

Is this your squirrel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G87Sdh0-ZTQ&feature=related

Skul
12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
OK, maybe not a day or two.:rotfl

teareon
12-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Yes, that's Lily a few days after Makenna, our cat, took her in as her own. She was nursed and fed esbilac. Makenna kept her warm and the kittens would pile up with Lily thinking she was just another one of them

teareon
12-27-2011, 07:14 PM
We initially had Lily in a box in a small dog crate but momma cat kept trying to check her out, and when we finally allowed it she brought her to her own cat nest and that was that

cuteascnb
12-27-2011, 07:16 PM
I think that is Lily....She is just the cutest little thing! Its ashame that you are having to go through this!

teareon
12-27-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm very impressed with the qmon of replies I've gotten... You guys rock!

Nancy in New York
12-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Here's some more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZzA_VlX84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGKo6Gb3nP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxTNH2qyj_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vls8E3gpNz4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wykG4SJRPiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltU9TUwU5E&NR=1&feature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltU9TUwU5E&NR=1&feature=endscreen

How many kittens did you have? Were these from the same litter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64bO8a-cuG8&feature=related

JLM27
12-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Well, the biting is no good, but otherwise everything you say makes me think that taking her with you and letting her re-release herself with a new cat door might be the best plan.

If my wilds bite me accidentally, I'm sure to show them what they have done and let them smell the blood. They seem to get ashamed. Even then, the one that bit me doesn't come around too much for a while. I also say "gentle, gentle" when they come close to take a nut, if I'm not sure of them. But I have a funny relationship with these guys. I'm Mama Nut Tree, I think.

teareon
12-27-2011, 07:46 PM
We had at the time ten kittens from two separate litters. Yes, I know, bad us. Both girls are fixed now... A male cat snuck in while we had been gone :(

Makenna, the momma cat in the video, she kept moving the other kittens to her own nest, our vet recommended combining them in a bigger "nest" so we set up a little pool in our bedroom and they all lived together, two queens, 10 kittens and Lily. However the other mother wanted nothing to do with the squirrel, nor did the squirrel ever attempt to nurse off of her, only Makenna

teareon
12-27-2011, 07:49 PM
You know, it's interesting that you mentioned your wild squirrels hitting and appearing ashamed. We've noticed that with Lily, she definitely feels bad, like she really didn't mean to bite. She sometimes catches herself and it's more of a tickle than a bite, lol, kinda funny

She also tends to bite my husband more than she does me. We assume it's because I was her primary caregiver when she was still dependent

UDoWhat
12-27-2011, 08:09 PM
The way our neighborhood is set up she has very little access to roads. In our new home we will be on a normal street but in a very small town with tons of trees. I think we might build her a cage now, and bring it with us to try and release her there. Really I have no idea what we will do with her!
I think this is the best idea but I don't think she should be released until Spring in any location. She does not have a nest or a territory or really very good skills to cope with bitter winters. I need to think a little about this but I can't get past the really bitter winters. A shame to bring her this far and not give her the very best chance to make it. She is a beauty. I know you love her.

BTW :Welcome , glad you found TSB.

Marty

teareon
12-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Ok, so should we cage her now or allow her outside access? I want her to be as wild as possible but is she better off staying inside till we move? And if so, what would be her best diet? She mostly gets nuts from us, we buy her all kinds and we collects the acorns that other squirrels also eat. She also likes apples and has started taking the frozen ones off our apple tree. I'd say about 80% of what we give her she brings outside and hides it for later. She us excellent at digging up hurried things, just like real squirrels do. I kinda worry that if we cage yer she will lose her digging/stashing skills, or she will no longer mimic what the wild squirrels are doing.

cuteascnb
12-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Could you build her a cage outside with ground access??? I would offer her fresh fruits and veggies...and SOME nuts...Put them on the bottom of her cage and let her scavenge for them!