PDA

View Full Version : eating habits

kwarren0426
12-18-2011, 04:16 PM
My flying squirrel really only likes to eat acorns. He seems to be avoiding the mouse food and pellets I bought him. What will I do when acorns are no longer available? Any suggestions as to something else they like? He's young - I assume not full grown. Also, how big will he get?

SammysMom
12-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Oh dear, you need to go look at the healthy squirrel diet page! Your squirrel needs a whole lot more than acorns to be healthy.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32218
You came to the right place for the best information! :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome

Cleo_13
12-18-2011, 06:37 PM
I hardly ever respond to posts like this as I know very little, but I thought you should know that this thread should probably be under the Squirrel Nutrition forum so that it will catch the attention of people who can help. I'm going to post a link there if no one has done so already.

Cleo_13
12-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Oh dear, you need to go look at the healthy squirrel diet page! Your squirrel needs a whole lot more than acorns to be healthy.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32218
You came to the right place for the best information! :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome

Oops! I guess I took too long posting that. I didn't realize you were already here SammysMom! I wouldn't have posted if I knew you were. As I said, I pretty much know nothing other than what I read on this board, but I was worried.
kwarren0426- welcome!

gs1
12-18-2011, 10:08 PM
hello ...:Welcome

this page ... http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32218 is the best we have so far... but it's geared more to grey & red squirrels than flyers.....

for flyers follow it and add meat protein every day .... flyers eat a lot of insects, they need meat protein.....

this is a message that mrs skul sent to me to share with others... it has her phone number at the bottom and i've deleted it .... cause this is public.....

she loves to have people call her because she's dyslexic and she's awake at night ....

you can't get pms at this point (i'm assuming cause you're new) but if you wanted to email me you could and i'll give it to you the number then... my email is silvana no spaces 2065@hotmail.com

:grouphug

:wave123 :fireworks congratulation!!!:goofwe
Welcome to the World of Being OWNED By The Flying Squirrel. :D
If you feed a High Protein diet WaxWorms MealWorms ""Even when they turn in to Millers they love them."" Freeze Dried Chicken or Fresh.
PetsMart carries Prim Bites & PetCo Carries PureBites FDChicken., VitaLife makes Chicken Chips and Chicken Poppers. PetsMart use to carrie them.
The Chicken chips you can find on line. This is a Dog treat. All you wont is Chicken nothing else added. You can try Scrambled, Boiled, Poached egg, Fried is usually to greasy. You also need to pick up Some CuddelBone for Birds and put 1 in the cage. They make a Calcium Mineral Chew that is the shape of a Ice Cream cone. You can find at both Pet stores. They will be in the Rodent and the Rabbit/ Chinchilla/Ferret sections. " Just ask some one and they will help you find them if you cant." I have 1 hanging inside & outside the big cage, and 1 in every cage I have. I hang them so they don't fall to the bottom and get Peeeeeed on.:D :rotfl {"Just 4to5 inch of dental floss. Hanging By the plat form they feed on. When done it just drops and it hangs."} The Flyers will eat on the Cuddle bone and then the C/M Cone. They switch around. Some times it can be in the Cage for a year or so be for they use them. If they are not lacking Calcium they will not eat them. When needed, they Devour it. :shark
I feed my Flyer HHB and Fresh Vegatables. Protean and a Little FV every Day. Some like the FV by a Syringe and Some like FV Yogurt By a Syringe or in a Bottle Cap. "They like to pick it up and like it like IceCream. Happy, Healthy Little Monsters. :D
Flyers Make their own Vitim D and Eating Mushroom every day Helps. They like Sugar Snap Peas, Broccoli&the Leafs, ButterNut Squash& Acorn Squash. {"I will wash/dry the seed and feed them on the side.""}Asparagus, Bell Peppers and The Seeds, {"The BP Seeds need to be feed right a way or they turn black. I cut the seeds/skin holding them and feed as group."} Fresh Cranberries/ or frozen, Cherry Tomatoes cut in half. :Love_Icon Mine Love Cucumber&Avocado :Love_Icon like crazy, and I mix up a green salad with Romain, Brock Choy, Ediva & Godiva Lettuce, Any of the Lettuce,Cabbage.
"Ice Burg Lettuce has nothing in it for them. I never feed it." You can buy the Ready Mixed Salad's with all kinds of Romain and Letta's.
Now the Fruits. You do not wont them filling up on the Fruit. So just a little each time. Chunk of Apple or a Pare, the size of a Nickel.
BlueBerries {3or 4} Depending how big. :D RasBerry or Black Berry. :Love_Icon Mine love the ComCouts.:Love_Icon I usually hold the strawberry and let them eaton it. Just not much. Cherry, Fig, Prickly Pare Cactus Fruit." Oh and Sweet Potato not to much. :nono They Have a large SWEET TOOTH and will steal it right out of your mouth if they can. :rotfl " Darla found a small piece of dark chocolate. Can you imagine a flyer on Speed. :eek: I thought she would die."
Just be careful. I am going to PM My number. If you have question or need help just call me any time day or night."

PS
I can't remember who you got Thor from. :thinking Just follow the Nutrition for Squirrels and add The Protean and Thor will do fine.:thumbsup3
I give Black Oil Sunflower seeds, The Squash Seeds,Pumpkin,Cantaloupe, Watermelon Seeds as a treat.
"Usually 4 or 5. It depends on how the Veg eating has gone that day."
I always give a nut for them to stash or keep. And if/when they open it. It's theirs free treat. :thumbsup5 Please call me some time.
I will give you a little info of what to be looking for if and when he gets sick.
Remember The Flyers will not show hardly any sines of being sick until it it to late.
So watch, and Know Him like the palm of your hand.
If he normally plays all the time. Then starts sleeping and Playing, and sleeping. Loss of wt.2 gm or more.
These are sines to watch for.

Good Luck