PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Foster Parents in Vancouver WA / Portland Metro

SquirrelRefuge
12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
I have just been approved by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife for my Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit. I will be the only licensed rehabber in Clark county, Washington. Since I have been sub'ing under another rehabbers permit, I havent reached out much looking for help.

Last fall I received in 60 squirrels in six weeks and if not for the help of my family and a few wonderful people with big hearts (Thanks Mell!!!), I would have had to turn away squirrels. If I have another season like last year and I dont get more help, I am pretty sure my husband will leave or have me institutionalized!

In preparation for Spring baby season, I am looking for people in the area willing to foster babies. I am also looking for people with good release sites willing to 'baby sit' squirrels for a few months after release. If you have, or are willing to build, a large release enclosure for soft releases, all the better!

We place our squirrels in release groups (they actually pick who they end up bunking with) of usually 3-5 squirrels and handle building and placing the squirrel box in the tree. I have mostly eastern grays here with foxs in PDX, but some douglas, chipmunks and flyers on occasion for the native purists.

If anyone is in SW Washington or NW Oregon and you would like to foster or support a release group post release, please drop me a line.

I do insist that foster parents feed FV and proper nutrition and adhere to standard care protocols (and of course, give the squirrels up when its their time to wild up for release).

I can provide all the materials you need. Of course, if you are able and willing to provide some or all of your own supplies, that leaves even more for those with big hearts and limited budgets.

Thanks, Jackie

jo_schmoe
12-15-2011, 07:23 AM
I have just been approved by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife for my Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit. I will be the only licensed rehabber in Clark county, Washington. Since I have been sub'ing under another rehabbers permit, I havent reached out much looking for help.

Last fall I received in 60 squirrels in six weeks and if not for the help of my family and a few wonderful people with big hearts (Thanks Mell!!!), I would have had to turn away squirrels. If I have another season like last year and I dont get more help, I am pretty sure my husband will leave or have me institutionalized!

In preparation for Spring baby season, I am looking for people in the area willing to foster babies. I am also looking for people with good release sites willing to 'baby sit' squirrels for a few months after release. If you have, or are willing to build, a large release enclosure for soft releases, all the better!

We place our squirrels in release groups (they actually pick who they end up bunking with) of usually 3-5 squirrels and handle building and placing the squirrel box in the tree. I have mostly eastern grays here with foxs in PDX, but some douglas, chipmunks and flyers on occasion for the native purists.

If anyone is in SW Washington or NW Oregon and you would like to foster or support a release group post release, please drop me a line.

I do insist that foster parents feed FV and proper nutrition and adhere to standard care protocols (and of course, give the squirrels up when its their time to wild up for release).

I can provide all the materials you need. Of course, if you are able and willing to provide some or all of your own supplies, that leaves even more for those with big hearts and limited budgets.

Thanks, Jackie
:goodpost
Wish I lived closer!! I would help you out in a heartbeat.
Im always willing to donate....just sayin....:thumbsup

SquirrelRefuge
12-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks! I also wanted to make sure anyone who does have squirrels in the area is aware that I have two principle vets available to me. Since it can be hard to take a squirrel to a vet in either Washington or Oregon because of legal issues, I am always happy to help to ensure any squirrel in need gets the vet care they need.

Jackie in Tampa
12-15-2011, 11:35 AM
:bowdown
I would love to have your contact info for the Squirrel Nation Directory that I am working on..will not share it except privately for emergencys..
if you are good with that, please send me a PM...
thanks for doing all you do...from the other Jackie:D

SquirrelRefuge
12-16-2011, 02:08 PM
I expect to be publicly listed as a licensed wildlife rehabilitation on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife website for all to see shortly, so its fine with me if its shared with anyone needing help with squirrels.

I have worked so hard for this licensure, I am tempted to tattoo it across my forehead!

Jackie Marsden
SquirrelRefuge.org
PO Box 1791
Vancouver WA 98686
(360) 713-1143

Skul
01-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Perfect.:thumbsup
We need some folks up that way.

SQUIRRELSAREME
01-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Hi Jackie i live in kirkland wa and would love to help out if you get to many babies, I could meet you half way for a transfer. I have rasied and released many greys and am fostering three flyers now. I also feed fox valley and follow the nutrition from this site. I would also like to become a licensed rehabber but dont know where to start.:wave123

SquirrelRefuge
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
I will definately keep you in mind. I frequently get calls from outside of the Vancouver area. You have several options if you want to start the process to get your rehabbers license, particularly in your area. The first thing you need is find a licensed rehabilitator who will sponsor you. I am happy to help out but am a good distance away. You might start with the PAWS wildlife center in Lynnwood. They use to have a foster program for squirrels. I dont know if they do that anymore. Dont get discouraged and do let me know if you have a hard time finding someone to get you started. Feel free to contact me directly at jackie@squirrelrefuge.org