PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used Medrol for trauma?

Junior
12-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Last night my husband called and found one of our recently released guys in the back yard dragging his back legs.......long story but I came home early from work and got him IMMEDIATELY on Prednisone and now waiting to see what we get.
My husband (pharmacist) asked if I had any Medro, and then he proceeded to tell me why methylprednisolone is better than prednisone and why Dex is counter productive to healing in humans.

So now my question is has anyone ever used Medrol or Methylprednisolone on squirrels with severe trauma (spine or head)?

Thanks!!!

Anne
12-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Only have used Dex. Remind your hubby that squirrels are not human (even if we think they are our children). Vets use Dex all the time.
Jackie in Tampa has stopped using Dex, last I heard. Jackie was working with her vet to try Lasix for head trauma.

Junior
12-13-2011, 05:45 PM
My furry guys aren't "human" :crazy
He was just explaining about how Medrol, Prednisone and Dex work (basically in the body) and that most trials are done on rats......so I just wanted to see if anyone had ever used it.
From most of the info on Dex that I can get my hands on are pointing to the issue that it interferes with the healing process. I know lots of people use it, I am just looking for something that has a better healing curve for trauma.
I am interested in the Lasix for head trauma......I am assuming to release intracranial pressure? Very Interesting!!! Thanks for the info!!:thankyou
I also have an article where they are using Estrogen for head trauma in raptors (originally used in humans with Traumatic Brain Injury) which may be able to translate to mammals some day!!!

Jackie in Tampa
12-14-2011, 04:33 AM
steroidal treatment for spinal injury:thumbsup

for head trauma:shakehead
old school...we have alot better meds these days...
no additional heat either, they reduce human temps when dealing with head trauma...why should our littles get old fashioned out dated treatments when we know there are better options...
I keep lasix {furosemide}in my fridge..just haven't had the right patient yet..Thank goodness..
I do not have a dose to use with the furosemide, however the vet said we will wing it!
I am not saying to not use dex..I am just thinking outta the box as to the options available to animals verses humans...
and the WHY's...

I understand your husband is a pharmacists so he already will know the precautions...
but for anyone else...PLEASE RESEARCH..
there are some bad reactions if used with certain other meds that we commoinly use in sqs...do the research first.
Also, never give to any animal that may be dehydrated of coarse, def will cause renal failure if so.:nono

Remember I work with vets...and common sense with research!
{my sqs are not guinea pigs, I would never make decisions without adequate info}
:)

In the event I find a sq dragging legs outside, I would have used the pred or gone the other option that I feel is safe and effective...meloxicam...but since you have started the steroids...stick with that for now...and never mix the two...metacam and steroids:nono :shakehead :nono :shakehead NO NO.
{I know you know that Junior, just keeping things straight for others}

:Love_Icon good luck
keep us in the loop please:grouphug