PDA

View Full Version : My Experience as a NC rehabber

squirrelygirl15
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I have been a state licensed small mammal rehabber for the past several years, and I have an experience I wanted to share with other rehabbers or those considering rehabbing.

I live in a small town in North Carolina, a historic district in fact, that had an ordinance that allowed its residents to shoot squirrels with the permission of the chief of police. My neighbor is a life-long resident of this town, and I am a transplant from New York. Three years ago, this neighbor shot a squirrel off of the power lines right in front of me with a .22. Long story short, the squirrel died in my arms, and I had no recourse because he was within the law - he had his permit. My husband and I called the town manager to complain about the ordinance and then decided to put our home on the market. Several days later, our town manager told us that the ordinance was being removed from the books, and no one would ever be issued a permit to discharge firearms within town limits ever again. So we decided to stay in our home we have two children.

I went on rehabbing squirrels and putting them on my porch in cages, taking them in at night when they were smaller and leaving larger, more ready squirrels in outside cages in my back yard before moving them to pre-release cages off of our property - I did not release squirrels on my property knowing my neighbor’s feelings toward them. Of course the squirrels in rehab attracted wild squirrels which I fed, and I also filled my bird feeder daily for the birds mostly. About a month ago, while sitting at my dining room table eating lunch, I saw a squirrel tumbling and flipping across this neighbor’s front yard. Again I ran out, and again this squirrel was shot. Thankfully, my husband was home and while I tended to the squirrel (which died) he called the police. Again my neighbor was within the law, he managed to get a permit (the town manager never removed the ordinance). On top of that, she and the police chief re-issued this permit to this neighbor with the stipulation that he not shoot when I was home, so this neighbor spent months stalking me so he could shoot them. Why he shot when my husband and I were home in the middle of the day is still a mystery. Knowing that someone watched you come and go is beyond creepy.

After weeks of stress and dealing with the small town council, the ordinance to discharge firearms within city limits is now abolished - mostly because the Council found that the town’s insurance company would not cover any lawsuit brought on by any accidental shootings. However, our esteemed police chief and town manager have now given my neighbor traps so that he can trap these squirrels. Please know that we have very few at this point, but I am sure that the few that reside here will not be here long. The police and town manager are now telling us they cannot control this neighbor’s behavior, and that he has every right to remove the animals from his yard. I took in my bird feeder and have no squirrels in my care any more so I am not drawing any animals at all.

My neighbor has decided to place his trap right within my view. Our homes are very close together, and if by chance a squirrel ends up in a trap, I will hear it and probably see it, but I cannot trespass to help it. I called NC Wildlife this afternoon (today was the first day my neighbor put out a trap) and they are going to come tomorrow to access the situation, but since NC does not recommend relocating squirrels, any animals trapped will be euthanized. A Depredation Permit is needed to relocate any animals in NC, but surely my neighbor is not going to bother, nor will he remove them to a place where they can prosper. He is now directing his anger toward me, and is going to make me pay by trapping these squirrels right in front of me, for taking his right to shoot animals on his property away.

I am amazingly ill over this, and I can no longer live in my home. My reason for writing this is to alert other rehabbers or potential rehabbers that they must check all local laws before they find themselves hurting more than helping. I have unintentionally baited an untold number of squirrels to their death, and it will undoubtedly continue until I move from here.

It is a sad but true truth, that rehabbers in North Carolina get no support. I have since given it up rehabbing, and I was the only one in this county. so who knows what is going to happen to animals come spring. This has broken my heart, and I feel amazingly helpless.

CritterMom
12-08-2011, 07:10 PM
I am so sorry for your situation. It is one of the reasons I so much prefer every other species to my own about 99% of the time.

Look, this sounds absurdly comical but I bet it would work. Is that trap within the distance that could be reached with a super soaker? They shoot a LOONG way. Places like Cabelas and LL Bean sell fox urine. I seriously doubt a squirrel would enter a trap soaked with fox urine, regardless of what it was baited with. You would have to renew it occasionally after heavy rains, but it is better than the alternative. Your neighbor will likely never know why he is unable to trap anything.

Milo's Mom
12-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I am so sorry for your situation. It is one of the reasons I so much prefer every other species to my own about 99% of the time.

Look, this sounds absurdly comical but I bet it would work. Is that trap within the distance that could be reached with a super soaker? They shoot a LOONG way. Places like Cabelas and LL Bean sell fox urine. I seriously doubt a squirrel would enter a trap soaked with fox urine, regardless of what it was baited with. You would have to renew it occasionally after heavy rains, but it is better than the alternative. Your neighbor will likely never know why he is unable to trap anything.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :goodpost :goodpost :goodpost
That is an awesome idea.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
12-08-2011, 07:27 PM
May the night squirrels brake into his house and eat his brain.

:squirrel1

UDoWhat
12-08-2011, 07:28 PM
I am sorry you have to deal with this neighbor. Is there any way you can put something close to the traps to scare the squirrels away from the traps? On your property, of course. Or at least spring the traps?? Or get your own traps and trap the squirrels and relocate them yourself. This is a terrible situation. Bless you for trying to help. I would start exposing these people for who they are.

:Welcome to TSB. We understand what you are facing.:grouphug

Marty

Just saw Crittermom's post. Do it, do it, do it.

squirrelygirl15
12-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Yes, I can try this, and I will. The only problem I see with it is that neighbors behind us have full view and will tattle if they catch me. I am sure my neighbor will move the trap out of my view if I tamper with it - he did take it in tonight so a night spraying is out of the question. This is a catch 22. I have been scaring the squirrels in my yard and tomorrow I will use the leaf blower just for the noise if I have to. I feel so sick knowing I have caused all of this. For the few I saved, so many will perish horribly.

Thanks for being there. It is nice to know I am not alone in this.

JakesLittlePrincess
12-08-2011, 07:35 PM
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug
I too am sorry that this person has caused all this trouble for you. People are unkind and ignorant.

Scooterzmom
12-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I cannot begin to tell you how badly I feel for you. Having been submitted to a neighbor who did harrass me constantly about my squirrels and would try to harm them in front of me too I do know how terrible this feels. It eats from the inside out... and I did move to a different town because of it. My heart goes out to you and I pray for all those poor little creatures.

Please do not blame yourself: hindsight is always 20/20 and your heart was pure, your intentions noble. It is not your fault that some inhumane SOB lives nextdoors. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

CritterMom
12-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I believe that just spraying it in the area of the trap will do the trick. Even if the trap has been moved into the house (that will get old fast, too), if he sets it down in a fox sprayed area, they will stay away.

HRT4SQRLS
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Squirrelygirl15,
Wow..So sorry for your horrible situation. Yes, everyone at TSB understands your pain. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people don't respect animal life when they don't even respect human life. I also understand why you would want to move. I couldn't bare that kind of stress. Unfortunately, he will never change-----once a turd head always a turd head. I know I need to stop visiting that "dark place in the back of my mind" but if he did force me out I would hand pick his next neighbor, if you know what I mean.

What about one of those high frequency Ultrasonic dog repellants--people can't hear them but I guess it drives dogs and cats crazy. Maybe it might repel squirrels also. I don't know. I do like CritterMom's idea.............WOW..AWFUL

redwuff
12-08-2011, 08:35 PM
I am shaken to my core that someone could be so vindictive to their neighbor. I do know how cruel people can be to animals. I am so sorry.

astra
12-08-2011, 08:39 PM
how about spraying along the perimeter of his property? to cover all corners?
and then, spray all the spots in which he tends to put his traps
Also, in addition to spraying the ground along the perimeter of his property, perhaps, you could spray the bottoms of trees that are along the perimeter of his property, so that squirrels will be discouraged to climb his trees and jump onto his property, as well as, Goodness forbit, make nests on his trees?

squirrelygirl15
12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Does anyone know anything about Critter Ridder? I am going to order fox urine tonight, but wondered if I could throw Critter Ridder (since it is pellets) at his yard - I can get that tomorrow at the store while I wait for the urine to ship. I don't think he would notice if I did it sparingly and it falls into his grass. I am ordering the urine, my husband is looking online for a water gun. We have also decided to finally put the house on the market. I wish we would have followed through with selling three years ago. Thanks everybody you have no idea how I need you all.

twoturtles
02-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I stumbled upon this thread by accident from trying to find help in a similar situation. It is weird I even found this because I live in the same NC town & I know the person personally who started this thread. My problem is a different nature, not pertaining to squirrels but Canada geese. I live within the city limits in this same NC town but I live on a pond that borders the county line so I look at a field. The geese have been coming to the farm pond forever & our subdivison owns past the city limits mid-way of the pond. People with permission are allowed to hunt next to the pond within plain view of all the homes but there are few trees for cover & most of the trees (abt 5) are behind my house.

I wrote a letter to the editor asking why we cannot have the same protection from gun-fire as those in the city limits when the hunters decided to hunt the perimeter around the pond. We had been told they could not by the foreman. The next week there were two letters of protest against me & my husband. The letters were filled with lies saying my husband discharged a 22 & that they saw him do it. Thing is, neither one of the letter writers were present but they are spreading these rumors. My husband NEVER shot a gun! After my letter was printed the town manager contacted my husband, who is also our neighborhood's property owners association president, she said she was going to look into the matter.

It has almost been a month & she has never called him back. Meanwhile, goose season is over. Now, the foreman of the farm has installed air cannons to scare the geese off BUT guess where the cannons were placed?? ----->> 2, directly behind our house. There is a noise ordinance in town & these air cannons are just feet from city limits. So this is what goes on in this tiny little town. They are blaming the geese for the peanuts being eaten but there are as many gulls if not more than the geese going into the field as well as the deer, bear, fox, coyotes, etc.

People see the squirrels & the geese only as pest. Families who have lived here forever get all the favortism while the needs of outsiders go ignored. I just want to know why hunting is allowed within plain view of homes & why we have to witness the death of an animal. Where is the rights of homeowners? I know how she feels. It makes me want to sell my home too because of the situation. My family moved here to be on the pond because we enjoy nature. Now am afraid they may now use more drastic measures, like gas the geese as has been down in other towns, if I press further. The neighborhood WAS like a small refuge but now ........

CritterMom
02-17-2012, 10:58 AM
I cannot offer anything except that your town is VERY inappropriately named at this point! "Eden" indeed.

sassysquirrel
02-18-2012, 06:08 PM
I would set my own traps - and relocate - what could they do - nothing really - opps it escaped when I opened the cage - no one ever know - at least they would have a chance somewhere else - especially if you are moving - I would set as many traps as I could take them off to release 0 fight fire with fire
throwing moth balls in his yard might help also

twoturtles
03-08-2012, 06:28 PM
:thinking Town turned squirrel issue over to NC Wildlife now. More or less washing their hands of it. If squirrels are trapped they must be killed and not released someplace else. I don't see why they cannot be taken out into the country away from homes. As for the geese hunting just outside city limits, the town says it is a county issue but I feel the town and county need to work on this together. Some people think this is the Garden of Eden. It is actually name after a NC governor from the 1700s.