PDA

View Full Version : Pleased to be here! Introducing myself

christine126
12-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Hello fellow squirrel lovers!
I have read a lot of your posts while waiting to be registered. First I want to say that I am grateful for the help of a very capable rehabber from the start of my squirrel adventure. I am thankful the squirrel board is here for others who were unable to find that type of support from where they are. My name is Christine. I was living in Clermont Fl when I aquired my babies. I heard the peeps of what I thought were baby birds in a palm tree in my back yard in the last week of July. I asked the property owners to hold off on trimming the tree. They waited till 1st week in Sept. and wouldnt wait anymore. They started trimming it and had to leave to get a taller ladder. When they left I saw a squirrel come down the tree carrying a baby in her mouth. I watched her go back and bring a baby down 3 more times. I saw her take them to the front yard, but couldnt pinpoint where. The next day I found the mother squirrel dead in the yard. So the hunt for the babies began. I searched the internet, called every place I could think of. According to the WRC in Jacksonville the closest rehabber to me was in Orlando ( an hour away) I called her in preparation for finding these babies) After 24 hours, I thought they were goners, then while I was just sitting on my porch a baby crawled up to me. I called the rehabber and took her there right away! She said, baby age 4 to 5 weeks, female. The rehabber armed me with syringes, Pedialyte and lots of advice in case I found the others. 2 days passed and I heard a loud thud. It was a baby that had fallen from the original palm tree onto the hood of the neighbors car. I called the rehabber, did everything she said and by evening my baby was warm and drinking 50/50 goats milk. She told me to wait to bring her cause she thought I might find the others. Next day 2 babies just walked up to my son. He reached down and scooped one up, but the other ran. So I had 2 and the rehabber had 1. I spent hours trying to coax the last baby, I knew time was ticking. Baby #4 would come halfway down the tree, cry for mom and go back up. Property owners wouldnt help me, they said Its just a squirrel! After day 5, I never saw baby #4 again.
Anyway, sorry so long, I now live in North Port Fl. My rehabber has been very ill and for a month now she doesnt take or return calls. I am really worried about what might have happened.I brought my babies with me cause she was to ill to take them before I left. Not that I wanted to give them back, but that was what I had agreed to. I really want to become a Licensed Wildlife Rehabber. I have fallen completely in love with squirrels! I want to be able to provide the support and education that was given to me in my babies time of need! They will be 5 months soon, the age I was told to release, but I have questions!! So here I am! Pleased to meet you!

cam
12-06-2011, 06:50 AM
:Welcome

Wow, that is a wonderful thing you have done for those poor little babies :thumbsup

I'm not a rehabber and live in england so can't help with liscencing questions, but i do have a female grey that can't be released so any general looking after questions, i may be able to help with :D

stosh2010
12-06-2011, 06:53 AM
WELCOME--TSB is the last place to look for NUTRITION and Health info on Squirrels... a True Family.

You have to go spend a day in Myakka River State Park, just a few miles from you..They have a smalll Canopy Walk which is unique to Florida...in Costa Rica--where I live with my squirrel, Rama Rota, they call them hanging bridges. You actuall walk thru the tree-tops, and there is a tower thats 6 stories tall -quite a view at sunset and esp. at daylight-if you camp out there. They have GREAT cabins-with fireplaces... ( 5 years ago they were $50.00/nite) Weekends are booked 6-7 months out for the 6 cabins, weekdays are available, sometimes.

PS The Queen-Magician...Bestest Squirrel Mom in Florida is right in Tampa. Jackie in Tampa ( the Caretaker of Squirrel Central) is just a quick drive up I-75 from you.

island rehabber
12-06-2011, 07:38 AM
:goodpost
Christine I am so happy you finally got here! (Christine was an unknowing victim of one of those TSB System Glitches :hissyfit...it's like she got stuck in limbo..)
I'm a little confused -- coffee hasn't kicked in yet: do you have your squirrels there with you, or are they with the rehabber who doesn't respond?

christine126
12-06-2011, 07:50 AM
I have all 3. When I took the last 2 to her, they were thriving and had gained more weight than the first one caught, she was confident that I could do it (with her guidance and supervision) and gave the first back to me so they could be together. The plan was for me to help when storm season came and to provide help with calls from Lake County since there was not a rehabber in that area. I could help and transport babies. Now I live in Sarasota County. But am still wanting to help, and still want to further my education on wildlife rehabilitation. So anybody in this area, or around this area do you have time or need help?

christine126
12-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Pics

UDoWhat
12-06-2011, 08:21 AM
:Welcome Christine. So happy you found TSB. What a wonderful story. We have many FL members that may be able to help you with the FL licensing as it is so different in each state. There is a lot of help at TSB so stick around. We are all willing to help you. :wave123

Marty

EDIT: I just saw the pictures. They really need a cuteness alert attached!! LOL

stosh2010
12-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Great Lookin' Kids ...Ya Got There !!

JakesLittlePrincess
12-06-2011, 08:51 AM
:Welcome Glad you found TSB!!!!! They are little cuties!

Jackie in Tampa
12-06-2011, 08:59 AM
:Welcome :wave123
they are precious...
thank you for doing what you are!!!!:bowdown
I am in south Tampa...and am always close to home..
come on up sometime!!!!:thumbsup
I got sq!:jump

cam
12-06-2011, 09:01 AM
:Love_Icon they are gorgeous :Love_Icon

MiriamS
12-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Geez, those are cute pictures!

Mrs Skul
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM
:wave123 Christine126 :Welcome Welcome Back to TSB!!!
I have been wondering what ever happened to the Palm Tree Babies. :D
They are so CUITE. :Love_Icon
You have done a Wonderful Job Raising them all. What is their names?? :D
We have some Really Great Rehabbers in Florida.

christine126
12-06-2011, 11:08 AM
These are the palm tree babies! Chica, Sassy and George. George is the sweetest and most docile. Sassy puts her opinion out there often ( I learned most of the squirrel curse words from her) Chica is calm and easy going. Three completely different personalities. And the stories LOL. This has been one life changing experience!

patjones
12-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Welcome glad to have you with us

christine126
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your welcome,friendship,and advice! One thing I have learned today is that I still have a lot to learn:peace Oh and Jackie, I was serious. Careful I might pop up on your doorstep looking to play with some SQs:sanp3 .

mjs

boxerpup
12-06-2011, 07:49 PM
:Welcome Welcome Christine. I got your PM on the acorns and wrote you back. Aything I can do to help, let me know. BTW Jackie in Tampa is one of the kindest,humble and sincerest people I know when it comes to helping squirrrels. I had the opportunity to meet her when she took my two little ones,one being very sick. She worked her majic and today they are alive and well in the treetops. Stop in one day and you will be amazed at what goes on there. Definately Squirrel Central.

fire-eyez
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM

You have now official been :owned welcome to the nut house where squirrels rule :D