PDA

View Full Version : new to the forum...overwintering?

Darwin's Momma
12-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I just wrote out a whole post but my phone did something whacky, so I apologize if this was posted twice! Ugh, now to remember what I typed originally! I'll try not to make it too lengthy because I really need some help.

Anywho, my name is Christina and I just discovered this site. I have been rehabilitating a squirrel (Darwin) who I rescued on Oct 4th of this year and judging from age charts online I figured he was about 6 weeks old. I'm sure I have made some mistakes along the way but Darwin is happy and healthy. I just don't know what my next step should be, and I could really use some advice. I love him dearly and want to do whatever I can to better his life.

I live in New York (Long Island) and I hear its going to be a brutal winter. I had originally planned to keep him inside during this winter, and release him once it gets nicer out. He just started to get so energetic and antsy in the house even though he is only in his cage (large bird cage) when I'm not home that I thought he would be happier in the wild. I have been bringing Darwin outside while in his cage for a couple weeks now to get him used to the weather. 4 days ago I slowly started to let him wander out of the cage on his own terms. He loves exploring my yard and always comes back to me.

My questions are: Is he too young to be released? Has he not had enough time to prepare for the winter? It's starting to get cold fast and he doesn't know anything about how to survive outside. I would continue to feed/water him if I did release him. Since I've started letting him run around outside during the day he seems much happier. Should I continue doing this and let him sleep inside over the winter? I want to get an outside opinion because I love him so much and would love to have more time with him, but if he would be better off in the wild, then that is what I will do. He has given me so much joy and I would never want to deny him of his own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

astra
12-05-2011, 11:55 PM
I just wrote out a whole post but my phone did something whacky, so I apologize if this was posted twice! Ugh, now to remember what I typed originally! I'll try not to make it too lengthy because I really need some help.

Anywho, my name is Christina and I just discovered this site. I have been rehabilitating a squirrel (Darwin) who I rescued on Oct 4th of this year and judging from age charts online I figured he was about 6 weeks old. I'm sure I have made some mistakes along the way but Darwin is happy and healthy. I just don't know what my next step should be, and I could really use some advice. I love him dearly and want to do whatever I can to better his life.

I live in New York (Long Island) and I hear its going to be a brutal winter. I had originally planned to keep him inside during this winter, and release him once it gets nicer out. He just started to get so energetic and antsy in the house even though he is only in his cage (large bird cage) when I'm not home that I thought he would be happier in the wild. I have been bringing Darwin outside while in his cage for a couple weeks now to get him used to the weather. 4 days ago I slowly started to let him wander out of the cage on his own terms. He loves exploring my yard and always comes back to me.

My questions are: Is he too young to be released? Has he not had enough time to prepare for the winter? It's starting to get cold fast and he doesn't know anything about how to survive outside. I would continue to feed/water him if I did release him. Since I've started letting him run around outside during the day he seems much happier. Should I continue doing this and let him sleep inside over the winter? I want to get an outside opinion because I love him so much and would love to have more time with him, but if he would be better off in the wild, then that is what I will do. He has given me so much joy and I would never want to deny him of his own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It's too late to release now.
Squirrels can be released when there are still green leaves on the trees and they need min. 4 weeks of soft-release that should start while it is still relatively warm outside, so that they will gradually get used to the cold temps and will grow the winter fur.

Since you've been letting him out for the last 2 weeks only, it means that he has not had the time to grow winter fur.
He does not have food stashed outside.
You might be willing to feed him through the winter, BUT if he gets chased away by the local wilds, you won't be able to feed him.
Rehabbed squirrels need enough extra time to adapt to wild life to learn all squirrelly things. THat's especially tru for singletons, who need even more extra time.

Such late Fall babies are usually overwintered and released in the Spring. (unfortunately, generally the survival rate of Fall babies is much lower).
However, that is not to say that Fall releases are to be avoided - there are a lot of successful Fall releases when they are done correctly and early enough.

However, you Darwin is not ready to be released right now - too late. No leaves outside, no food stashed, too cold and he hasn't had time to grow winter fur, hasn't had enough time to learn squirrelly things. As a singleton he might need more time and more gradual soft-release.

Do not let him roam - one day he will go too far and will get lost.

It will be best to keep him inside.
They do get more antsy as they grow up, but it's been done before: give him enough time outside the cage (just make sure your room is squirrel-proof), give him a variety of toys to keep him entertained. Most importantly, make sure he is on a solid healthful diet of squirrel blocks and veggies. The most important thing about overwintering is to keep them on a good healthful diet so that they do not get MBD.

Of course, there are some hard-core rehabbers who release no matter when and no matter what. I, personally, disagree with that.

Ultimately, it will be your call.:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

There are some NY members who might be able to help you with releasing him.

mpetys
12-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Astra is right. He should be property released and that will mean overwintering and releasing in the spring with a soft release.

Please don't let him out right now. What could happen is tha he ventures too far or decides he doesn't have to come back to you. He is not ready and you will be heartbroken as you worry about him. When we release, we usually still worry about them but at least if you release in the proper way, you know you have given him every benefit for it to be a successful release.

I just released fourteen yesterday (well twelve, two refused to go) but I am in Florida. My squirrels were in the relese cage for a little over 4 weeks so they were acclimated to the temps, daytime and nightime, to the sounds of other squirrels and other animals. I was like a proud mama yesterday as they are running around, playing in the grass, climbing trees and then one of them saw the shadow of a big buzzard fly overhead. He started the alarm call and all of a sudden all the squirrels got off the ground, some went up trees and some even went back into their release cage.

I would also recommend that if you can find a rehabber who is willing to take him and overwinter him with others, that would be so great for him when he is released to have a buddy. To have a ready made sibling group.

We have several rehabbers from New York and I am sure they will chime in with their advice.

Just a note, sometimes it is slow on the board and others may not see your thread. Do not hesitate to post to this thread as that will get the thread back up at the top of the list where is can be seen on the New Posts page!

Good luck with him.

Darwin's Momma
12-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Thank you for that information. I am new to this and only want what's best for him. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being selfish by wanting to keep him in the house for the winter. What block do you recomend? I bought him a bag (can't remember the name now, bag broke so I have them in a ziplock in the fridge) but he doesn't seem to like them that much. He eats fresh fruits and veggies (cucumbers, apples, pears, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, lettuce and kale). Are there any he should not be eating, or maybe some I should try? And I give him shelled almonds and unsalted sunflower seeds. I bought him a couple rope toys and stuffed animals that he likes to play with but are there any other toys I can give him to stimulate him more? Also, if he's not really eating the blocks should I be giving him vitamin supplements? :thankyou

And what is a soft release?

astra
12-06-2011, 12:40 AM
You might have to show some tough love, but he absolutely needs the block or he will develop MBD.

Give him the blocks first thing in am, when he is the hungriest.
Do not give anything else until he eats blocks.
It might sound very ...hmm.. rough... but it's important.

No sunflower seeds - these are bad b/c of the wrong phosphorous-calcium ratio. They deplete /prevent cal absorption.

Nuts must be one or two per day as a treat only AND only after he starts eating the blocks willingly. Otherwise, he might hold up till it's time for a treat, you know.

What he needs is blocks + good green veggies + safe wild foods + some treats: 1 piece of fruit or a nut per day.

Blocks:

Henry's Health blocks - 2 per day is enough - available on www.henryspets.com.
There is also a homemade recipe for them in Nutrition section. The ingredients are available on henryspets.com, too.

Commercial blocks:

Kaytee Forti diet for mice and rats (blue bag) available at petstores(petco, petsmart etc).
Harlan Teklad available at www.thecraftyrat.com
Mazuri - don't remember where you get them, somewhere online, too.

Commercial blocks should be fed about 70-80% of their diet, which equals about 3-5 blocks per day.

Soft release is a very gradual release process:
the squirrel is moved to a release cage outside for about 4 weeks (or a bit more depending on how well the squirrel adapts to the wild and how fast s/he is wildling up).
First, the cage is wheeled out for the day and wheeled back for the night for a couple of weeks. (some people put them in the release cage outside without the option of wheeling it back and forth).
But the point is to keep them in the release cage outside so that they can get used to the smells and sounds etc.

Then, gradually, you start opening the release cage during the day, letting them roam and explore. They will be coming back for the night.

When release starts that is when you start limiting your contact with them. Bring food - and that's it, to help them wild up.

Eventually ,after 4 + weeks they are supposed to wild up and leave for freedom when they are ready,
It is recommended to put up nest boxes in the back yard so that they will have a place to live before they learn how to make a drey and all that.

astra
12-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Check these out in Squirrel Nutrition forum:

healthful diet for pet squirrels;
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32046

dealing with picky eaters:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31473

THis recipe is often used for those squirrels who absolutely refuse any block and/or as a supplemental treat or regular part of their menu (depending on other foods you are giving him) Most squirrels love these BooBalls:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28096

this discussion might be informative, too:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32058

astra
12-06-2011, 12:47 AM
forgot to add:

although you will start limiting your contact during soft release, do handle him and love on him during overwintering because you need his trust and a close relationship with him during winter so that you can handle him if he gets sick and so that it will be easier for both of you in terms of food, playing etc etc etc.

But as mpetys said, there are few rehabbers in NY here who might be able to help you with overwintering and releasing.

mpetys
12-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Thank you for that information. I am new to this and only want what's best for him. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being selfish by wanting to keep him in the house for the winter. What block do you recomend? I bought him a bag (can't remember the name now, bag broke so I have them in a ziplock in the fridge) but he doesn't seem to like them that much. He eats fresh fruits and veggies (cucumbers, apples, pears, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, lettuce and kale). Are there any he should not be eating, or maybe some I should try? And I give him shelled almonds and unsalted sunflower seeds. I bought him a couple rope toys and stuffed animals that he likes to play with but are there any other toys I can give him to stimulate him more? Also, if he's not really eating the blocks should I be giving him vitamin supplements? :thankyou

What block do I recommend? Ask that questions to ten different people and you will get ten, no maybe eleven different answers! :D

I am sure others will chime in with what they feed. A lot of it depends on each situation. A lot of times if they are not started on block when they are young, it is harder to get them to eat them. I am currently using Mazuri Rat and Mouse block. That is the one that mine seen to like the best although I will be honest and say that it is not like they are crazy about them. I have tried the KayTee blocks and nobody ate those. A rat block that I hear others use a lot is the Harlan Teklad block. Oh goodness, I think it comes in a blue bag or a green bag and one is better than the other. Another block that is recommened by others is the Zupreem Primate Block. I also feed mine Zupreem Fruit Blend Pellets. And of course an assortment of healthy vegetables and natural foods. I feed maple leaves, maple and oak branches, hisbiscus flowers. I limit nuts to no more that 2 per day for my older guys. Up until yesterday, I had 31 I was feeding. We released 14 yesterday so while I am still providing food in their release cage, they now have the freedom to seek their own natural foods and they are out there trying everything!

If you haven't checked out the nutrition forum, check it out. There is a section on the healthy diet and lots of posts in the archives where people ask if a certain food is okay to eat. One that comes to miind that gets a lot of questions is magnolia cones.

Toys, hmm. Does your guy have a nestbox? does he have space where he is allowed to free roam in the house? One activity they like is to provide them with a box of tissue and just watch. If I put a box in a cage, they will work, grabbing, wadding up and carrying it to their nestbox or if they are loose in my bedroom, they will find a place and just start making a nest.

Another thing is if you have a box that you can close up and cut two 3" holes in, one to enter and one to exit, he will probably like going in and out. Mine will use it as a place to stash nuts! Have you seen the fleece ropes? Mine loves to shimmy down his fleece rope. I made it too long for his cage so i took the end and rolled it up and tied a knot in it. He loves it He will run and grab it and swing on the rope. Stuffed toys. My MonkeyButt just got a new toy it is a stuffed squirrel and it is bigger than he is but he will roll around and think he is beating it up. So funny to watch.

Sometimes something so simple as three strips of fleece about 8" long. Tie a knot in one end, braid the rest and then tie a know in the other end. Toss in cage. Some of mine have a blast with those. Toilet paper rolls or paper towle rolls.

Darwin's Momma
12-06-2011, 01:00 PM
You guys are soo helpful! Where have you been all my squirrel's life?? Thank you to everyone who took the time to really answer my questions. I will def change his diet around. This morning I only offered him the blocks. I remember now, I bought him the Kaytee blocks. I'll try the other ones mentioned too. I have been offering them for a while now, but I'm sure that since I've been giving him so much of everything else that he only eats what he really likes (which is not the blocks!). If it takes a little bit of tough love to ensure that he eats right, then so be it! I know he won't be starving to death if he only has the blocks in there. He's being a bit stubborn but he's smart, he will figure it out.

I let him run around my room whenever I'm home. The only time he is in the cage is when I'm sleeping or not home. I have no problem keeping him in this winter, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't interfering with the natural way of life for him. I will make or buy him some fleece to hang from his cage. At the moment I have been giving him cardboard boxes that I change out frequently for him to sleep in. I've given him wood boxes but they get so dirty and he doesn't seem to like them as much. He likes to "redecorate" his boxes by chewing holes in the corners that he likes to go in and out of. I give him soft t shirts that he likes to fluff up his box with. I gave him a tissue box yesterday with some tissues still in it. He played around with them a bit, but wasn't overly interested.

I'm glad I have the green light to continue to play with him and love him up! I was a little worried he was too bonded to me. He loves me almost as much as I love him, you can just tell. I'm the only one that can go near him, which is probably better anyway. I don't want him thinking all humans will treat him as well as I do.

I have a feeling I have a bit of time before it gets nice enough out to start the soft release process. Since this is my first time releasing a squirrel I think I should start looking for outside help when the time comes closer.

Again, thank you guys so much for taking the time out to help me. Its so nice to talk with people that care about animals as much as I do. Especially our squirrel friends!:thankyou

mpetys
12-07-2011, 12:46 AM
You guys are soo helpful! Where have you been all my squirrel's life?? Thank you to everyone who took the time to really answer my questions. I will def change his diet around. This morning I only offered him the blocks. I remember now, I bought him the Kaytee blocks. I'll try the other ones mentioned too. I have been offering them for a while now, but I'm sure that since I've been giving him so much of everything else that he only eats what he really likes (which is not the blocks!). If it takes a little bit of tough love to ensure that he eats right, then so be it! I know he won't be starving to death if he only has the blocks in there. He's being a bit stubborn but he's smart, he will figure it out.

I let him run around my room whenever I'm home. The only time he is in the cage is when I'm sleeping or not home. I have no problem keeping him in this winter, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't interfering with the natural way of life for him. I will make or buy him some fleece to hang from his cage. At the moment I have been giving him cardboard boxes that I change out frequently for him to sleep in. I've given him wood boxes but they get so dirty and he doesn't seem to like them as much. He likes to "redecorate" his boxes by chewing holes in the corners that he likes to go in and out of. I give him soft t shirts that he likes to fluff up his box with. I gave him a tissue box yesterday with some tissues still in it. He played around with them a bit, but wasn't overly interested.

I'm glad I have the green light to continue to play with him and love him up! I was a little worried he was too bonded to me. He loves me almost as much as I love him, you can just tell. I'm the only one that can go near him, which is probably better anyway. I don't want him thinking all humans will treat him as well as I do.

I have a feeling I have a bit of time before it gets nice enough out to start the soft release process. Since this is my first time releasing a squirrel I think I should start looking for outside help when the time comes closer.

Again, thank you guys so much for taking the time out to help me. Its so nice to talk with people that care about animals as much as I do. Especially our squirrel friends!:thankyou

When you have a wooden nestbox, is it hung up high in th cage or is is low or on the ground? If it is hung up high, they don't get dirty like they do if they are on the bottom where he can and will pee on it. plus if it is up high, he is not walking all over it. One of my squirrels has a nest box hung up high in the cage and then he has an extra wooden box on the bottom that has an entry hole and an exit hole in it. he loves this box and knows it is his play box. The top on it gets very dirty. Luckily, my husband, who made the box, has a planer, and he can take the lid off and shave the very top layer off!

Cardboard boxes are good. If he is tired of the kleenex, take the kleenex out and give him the box.

Darwin's Momma
12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I had the wooden box on the bottom. For some reason I thought he would feel more secure with it like that. That was also when he was younger and smaller and I have not found one that I feel would be adequate for him now. You said your husband made yours? Could you please tell me what materials he used so that I can make my own? Also, how do you secure it higher up?

Darwin's Momma
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Also, this might be a silly question but is Darwin actually ingesting the bark on the branches I give him? He strips them, but I don't really see that much bark on his cage tray when I clean it. I read the nutrition forums so I know its safe to give him, I'm just curious if he's actually eating it.

And is it uncommon for him to have been born so late in the year? He seems pretty young compared to the other squirrels I'm reading about on here and other sites.

astra
12-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Also, this might be a silly question but is Darwin actually ingesting the bark on the branches I give him? He strips them, but I don't really see that much bark on his cage tray when I clean it. I read the nutrition forums so I know its safe to give him, I'm just curious if he's actually eating it.

And is it uncommon for him to have been born so late in the year? He seems pretty young compared to the other squirrels I'm reading about on here and other sites.
they do it some bark in the wild, so it might be possible he is eating some.

Opinions vary on the bark and branches from outside: some people wash them before giving, others - do not.

Yes, it is possible to be born so late - - there are some late litters sometimes

Darwin's Momma
12-09-2011, 12:07 PM
they do it some bark in the wild, so it might be possible he is eating some.

Opinions vary on the bark and branches from outside: some people wash them before giving, others - do not.

Yes, it is possible to be born so late - - there are some late litters sometimes

I like to rinse his. Just makes me feel a little better hehe.

Do you think its ok to give the rest of the sunflower seeds I bought to Darwin's squirrel-friend outside? I came home and she was on the table munching on his leftovers the other day. I've been meaning to ask if I can give her more.

mpetys
12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I had the wooden box on the bottom. For some reason I thought he would feel more secure with it like that. That was also when he was younger and smaller and I have not found one that I feel would be adequate for him now. You said your husband made yours? Could you please tell me what materials he used so that I can make my own? Also, how do you secure it higher up?

Here is a link to another thread in which member Milo's Mom responded with a copy of plans for a nest box. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32081

You might also want to check out member JakesLittlePrincess website www.nutsaboutsquirrels.net. He makes beautiful nest boxes, they are reasonably priced and you can ask him about a TSB discount. Sometimes he runs sales and the discount does not apply. I think his prices include shipping.

Squirrels like their nests to be up high. If they are in the wild and see or hear danger, they get up high for safety.

As far as installing them, he makes mine custom for my cages but if you look at Jakes website, I think you can see how they mount. If not, just write to Jake. He is superhelpful.

Pierre
12-09-2011, 12:58 PM
:Welcome
You've gotten great advice from everyone here, I just want to add that I overwintered my single male fall baby last year and it was soooo much easier than I thought it would be and an amazing and wonderful experience. He would surely not have made it had I released him. He is now a gorgeous healthy boy out free in my yard and visits me all the time. :grouphug

Best of luck with little Darwin! :Love_Icon

astra
12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Do you think its ok to give the rest of the sunflower seeds I bought to Darwin's squirrel-friend outside? I came home and she was on the table munching on his leftovers the other day. I've been meaning to ask if I can give her more.
yes, you can give those to her (just I would not give her them regularly, since food is scarce in the winter, their diet might not be as balanced nutritionally and, therefore, the seeds might cause some problems)

Darwin's Momma
12-10-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure how to quote all of you guys, so I'll just say thank you everyone! I am now a TSB junkie, staying up to all hours of the night! I discovered bot flies last night, and I don't know what posessed me to do a google image search of them. I cannot tell you how itchy I was trying to fall asleep after that! Eeek!

Darwin has been doing ok staying in the house. The only real problem is the biting and scratching. He doesn't hurt me on purpose but sometimes it really does! I try to wear gloves as much as possible but then he just goes to whatever other skin is exposed. I wear sweatshirt and long pants around him but if I lean over to get something he bites my lower back. I think I'm going to start wearing my robe too. I don't know how I'm going to cover my neck though. He does a biting/licking thing and it almost seems like he likes the taste of my skin? He scratched my face again today, and the other scratch was just starting to heal. He does a jumping straight into the air move (which makes me laugh most of the time) but sometimes he doesn't seem to be aware or overly concerned about where he lands, which is sometimes my face! :sanp3 I don't mind it terribly because I recognize he is a wild animal and is just doing what they do. My family reeeaaally has a problem with it though. They seem to see him as "just a squirrel" and "get him out of the house already". Does anyone have any ideas about how I can avoid getting too hurt by him? I just don't want to get all scarred up. :thankyou

astra
12-10-2011, 02:51 PM
well, the only sure way that I know of is to use gloves when "wrestling" with him, and layers, layers, layers. If you read, or I should say as you read other threads (since you've been reading them all along;-)), you will see how people deal with it.
Face plants - the technical term for his landing on your face - are very very common. People learn to recognize pre-faceplant "position" and facial expression and dodge it accordingly.
One person, I remember, was fairly successful at teaching her squirrel to land on her shoulder instead - I believe, when she saw that he was about to do a face plant, she would tap her shoulder and avert her face (or something along those lines) and he learned to jump on her shoulder instead of face.

You still need to wear thick clothes, though - his nails will get sharp (because that's what he will need in the wild), so he will end up scratching you without meaning it.
What you describe is his grooming. Grooming - licking and all that - is a sign of affection and his way of showing his care for you.It's just too bad you do not have fur ;-D.
They love to groom scabs, too, so be aware of that.

SOmetimes, when they get too rough, it helps to say "ouch" or something like that - very often, they get it. But not always, and not always for long.
It is all very individual. But some do learn not to be too rough.

This jumping on you and faceplanting are part of you being his Mom.
In the wild I often observed how babies-juvies would climb their mother, trying to play with her and wrestle with her. So, that's what he is trying to do.
The reason your face is such a nice target ;-) is that before anything else, he associates your face with YOU. Not your hands, and much less legs, but your face. So, when he feels like he wants to play with you and "hug" you and all that, he reaches for what he thinks is you more than anything else - your face.;-)

They do not always connect that your hands and, especially, your legs are part of you. Eventually, they do. But at first, those appendages are rather alien. So, do not be surprised if they get attacked at one point. Until he learns that they are part of you.

I am sure, people who raised many squirrels, especially, those who have NRs, will share their tips and tricks.

But overall, scratches are pretty much insignia, marks of honour of being owned by an amazing furry animal :)

astra
12-10-2011, 02:56 PM
some threads that refer to scratches (not all of them, there were many more. I think, there was even a special thread where people showed their scratches, just can't find it. Maybe, if you search for "scratches" or something, you will find it):
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31540

chickenmom and her Spock - look at her hands in the video;-)
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=710784#post710784

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31458&highlight=scratches - - good point is made about better not trimming their nails - Darwin needs his nails to climb, to learn how to climb, to continuously improve his climbing because that's like breathing to squirrels.
Protective clothing is the key.

Darwin's Momma
12-11-2011, 01:36 AM
well, the only sure way that I know of is to use gloves when "wrestling" with him, and layers, layers, layers. If you read, or I should say as you read other threads (since you've been reading them all along;-)), you will see how people deal with it.
Face plants - the technical term for his landing on your face - are very very common. People learn to recognize pre-faceplant "position" and facial expression and dodge it accordingly.
One person, I remember, was fairly successful at teaching her squirrel to land on her shoulder instead - I believe, when she saw that he was about to do a face plant, she would tap her shoulder and avert her face (or something along those lines) and he learned to jump on her shoulder instead of face.

You still need to wear thick clothes, though - his nails will get sharp (because that's what he will need in the wild), so he will end up scratching you without meaning it.
What you describe is his grooming. Grooming - licking and all that - is a sign of affection and his way of showing his care for you.It's just too bad you do not have fur ;-D.
They love to groom scabs, too, so be aware of that.

SOmetimes, when they get too rough, it helps to say "ouch" or something like that - very often, they get it. But not always, and not always for long.
It is all very individual. But some do learn not to be too rough.

This jumping on you and faceplanting are part of you being his Mom.
In the wild I often observed how babies-juvies would climb their mother, trying to play with her and wrestle with her. So, that's what he is trying to do.
The reason your face is such a nice target ;-) is that before anything else, he associates your face with YOU. Not your hands, and much less legs, but your face. So, when he feels like he wants to play with you and "hug" you and all that, he reaches for what he thinks is you more than anything else - your face.;-)

They do not always connect that your hands and, especially, your legs are part of you. Eventually, they do. But at first, those appendages are rather alien. So, do not be surprised if they get attacked at one point. Until he learns that they are part of you.

I am sure, people who raised many squirrels, especially, those who have NRs, will share their tips and tricks.

But overall, scratches are pretty much insignia, marks of honour of being owned by an amazing furry animal :)

Face plants!! Once again, hitting the nail (or squirrel, sorry couldn't help myself) on the head! It happens so fast, but I will try to be more observant so I can maybe prepare myself for them.

He doesn't always play rough. He seems to get in certain moods where he either likes to hang out and relax with me or he goes freakin' nuts in my room. Sometimes i wonder if
he realizes how good he has it. I don't think the average person would be as understanding and patient with a squirrel. He can get pretty crazy and destructive sometimes. The thing is, he's not "just a squirrel" to me. He has his own little (sometimes not so little, really) personality that I have fallen in love with. I will never look at squirrels the same way again, that's for sure!

I do feel honored that he grooms me and even faceplants me! The fact that he looks at me as a Mommy-figure warms my heart. It might sound crazy, but I actually get a little excited when people ask me about my hands. It gives me the opportunity to brag about my beautiful baby boy. I feel like one of those new moms that talk about their kids all the time. I could go on and on about him all day! I think its a little strange when people don't get as excited about him as I do, but then again mothers always think that their baby is the cutest baby in the whole world.

I checked out those threads. I feel so much better having found this message board. I know now that no matter what Darwin and I are going through, someone else has too and wrote about it here. I think its amazing! :grouphug
:jump. :wahoo

astra
12-11-2011, 01:47 AM
oh, tell anyone here about it! about the personality and being unable to stop talking about your baby... yes, no one here will ever be able to look at a squirrel the same way.
And yes, unfortunately, very few people get as excited when I talk about squirrels. ;-D

Everything you described is completely normal: relaxing cuddly moments and those crazy bounds of energy. Just make sure your room is squirrel-proof (e.g., all cords are hidden, covered etc so that he does not accidentally chew them - too often squirrels get electrocuted fatally or get paralyzed; no holes/behind furniture areas where he can get stuck, no house plants as most of them are poisonous for them, no access to any meds and stuff like that and so on and so forth)

And I can so relate to your being excited when people ask you about your hands. I do, too, get excited about every opportunity to talk about squirrels.;-)

And yes, no squirrel is "just a squirrel". Every squirrel is a very special squirrel!'-D

Darwin's Momma
12-12-2011, 01:31 PM
a couple pictures of Darwin. One of him as a baby, you can tell he just wasn't feeling himself. One of him outside, which i don't do anymore. And one of him trying to help me organize my sock drawer. he's good at stuff like that:D

i hope this worked, its not letting me see the pics in the preview

Darwin's Momma
12-12-2011, 01:32 PM
oh boy, they're huge! sorry, i don't know what i'm doing...obviously!

well now you guys get to see how dreamy his eyes are!

astra
12-12-2011, 07:24 PM
he is so-o-o-o sweet!!!!!
Yes, those dreamy eyes and that smile, too, in the last pic:)

Scooterzmom
12-12-2011, 08:07 PM
What a cutie pie!!!!! :Love_Icon

I resized your pics for you, so we can see him better, and I remove the "red eye" ;)

Darwin's Momma
12-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Darwin says :thankyou
:jump

Darwin's Momma
12-12-2011, 11:00 PM
And don't let that smile fool you! He's trying to con me into letting him keep my sock and he knows just what faces to use too! :D

Thank you Scooterzmom, I'm still learning!

astra
12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
And don't let that smile fool you! He's trying to con me into letting him keep my sock and he knows just what faces to use too! :D

Thank you Scooterzmom, I'm still learning!
oh, come on! you know (and he knows :D ) you will let him keep whatever he wants, no matter what face he uses:D (

Darwin's Momma
12-13-2011, 02:44 PM
I know, I know! He's got it made and he knows it! I liked that sock too...

Seems he liked it more though:shakehead

Darwin's Momma
12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Can anyone give me any tips on how to resize my pics on here? I don't have a photobucket or anything (I usually only have my phone to use for the internet and I'm not even about to try it on here).

Darwin's Momma
12-13-2011, 03:59 PM
I have a new question for you guys! I tried searching for info about this on here but had no luck. I estimated that Darwin was about 6 weeks old when he stumbled (literally) into my life. That baby pic I posted is about when I first found him, how old do you guys think he looked? That was in early october. Anyway, a short time back i noticed his scrotum was darker pink than usual and had less hair on it. I kept an eye on it and was going to take a pic and post it here but it went away. I did find some posts describing something somewhat similar and it having to do with sexual maturity and mating. He just seems too young for that though. Any ideas?

Darwin's Momma
12-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Just got my christmas cards made up with Darwin on them. He is so freakin' handsome! :D if my family didn't know I was nuts before, they will now! I know all these newbie questions probably get annoying. I have started searching more, but still have that question about his scrotum.

I gave him a little avacado tonight after he ate his blocks and salad like a good boy. I came home from getting coffee and he stinks! He has very, very stinky loose stool (not full on diarea) and must have got it on himself. Peeee-u! :eek: Poor baby. Has this happened to any of you guy's fuzzers? I can only smell it when I give him kissies but boy, it smells rotten. I don't think he would be very happy with a bath. I don't see any poo on him. If its bad for him to stay stinky I'll wash him but we haven't done that since he first came home. I scrubbed his cage and I'm hoping he will go back to smelling like my sweet baby boy again.

astra
12-17-2011, 12:53 AM
hi Dawrwinsmom,

About resizing: i am using Mac, so if you are using a PC, i might not be much help. But then, I am sure, that PCs have the something equivalent to what I do in Mac:
I have Preview where I view my pics. I know, PC has something like that, too (forgot what it's called0.
In preview i go to the main menu bar on top and go to Tools. In Tools I find Adjust Size. When I click on Adjust size it gives me size options. I usually use either 600x800 or 450x600 (or smth like that).
So, when you open your pic, look for something that will be Edit, Resize, adjust size and so on. Just go through your menu bar options and whatever icons you have and you will find it.

About scrotum. I am not an expert here.
I do know that the look, the size etc changes with age and hormone levels.
It might be better to post this question as a separate thread, with your question in the thread title - you will get more specified attention.

As for stinking poop...
It might be nothing and might be something.
Sometimes, when accopmanied by other symptoms, it can indicate parasites. And parasites need to be treated with abs.
I think, it is giardia that gets very, very awfully smelly. Not sure if coccidia smells just as bad.

Now, I am NOT SAYING ;-) this is parasitic.
But generally poop should not really be that smelly if it is healthy.
It might be just accidental (ate something new, like that avocado).

So, again, post as a separate thread with your problem question in the title to get faster attention.
Also, describe the color, the consistency (soft, diarrhea-like etc) and if you could, post a pic of poop.
Observe his overall behavior: is he acting the same, less active, upset, in discomfort, uneasy etc. Although, in prey animals outward behavior is not always reliable in the early stages of illness, more so when they become really, really sick and cannot hide that anymore.

In Darwin's case, this is most likely nothing, just an occasional fluke.
But does not hurt to confirm.

So, DM!;-)
I do not want to scare you.
Just post your questions as separate threads.:)

Darwin's Momma
12-17-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm on it! Thank you!

astra
12-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Just got my christmas cards made up with Darwin on them. He is so freakin' handsome! :D if my family didn't know I was nuts before, they will now! :D been there done that:D

I know all these newbie questions probably get annoying. I have started searching more, but still have that question about his scrotum.
:grouphug
NO NEWBIE QUESTION IS ANNOYING EVER!!!!:grouphug
These are all important questions that you cannot be expected to know unless you've done squirrel rehab.
ON the contrary, it's great that you are asking first. Believe it or not, a lot of people do not ask, just assume and then end up with problems.
:grouphug
SO, KEEP ASKING!:grouphug

Just post your questions as separate thread.
E.g., this thread is about overwintering, and since it's been a while, a lot of ppl might assume that your overwintering concerns have already been addressed (esp. since there are so many responses to the thread already).
So, since ppl cannot possible check all threads every day, a lot of them choose the most recent and more urgent ones.
I am sure, that eventually someone would have seen your new questions here and answered, but it could have been in a few days, or next week.

So, the best way to get faster answers - post your questions as separate threads.:)