PDA

View Full Version : Possible overwintering, need location, please read!

smccollo
12-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Butters is about 7/8 wks old she is a very strong healthy and active girl. Here is the situation: I have had plans to visit family up north over Christmas and will be gone for a week. We are driving and taking our 2 dogs. We are going to release Butters after winter. I cannot take the 2 dogs and Butters all up north-way too stressful for her even if the dogs weren't going. At this time, she will be 10/11 wks old. I had thought about asking someone here to babysit her over the break and then we will take her back, but I feel that this may be too much change for her. What I am thinking then is that perhaps a rehabber with an outside area can take her at this time to begin getting her acclimated to the outdoors and then release her when she is ready. I live in Clearwater FL. If this isn't possible, are there any other suggestions for handling the trip to MI?

mpetys
12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Butters is about 7/8 wks old she is a very strong healthy and active girl. Here is the situation: I have had plans to visit family up north over Christmas and will be gone for a week. We are driving and taking our 2 dogs. We are going to release Butters after winter. I cannot take the 2 dogs and Butters all up north-way too stressful for her even if the dogs weren't going. At this time, she will be 10/11 wks old. I had thought about asking someone here to babysit her over the break and then we will take her back, but I feel that this may be too much change for her. What I am thinking then is that perhaps a rehabber with an outside area can take her at this time to begin getting her acclimated to the outdoors and then release her when she is ready. I live in Clearwater FL. If this isn't possible, are there any other suggestions for handling the trip to MI?

If I can help, I will be happy to. Here is a link to my release cage setup. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27563&highlight=release+cage+built

I have some smaller squirrels I am overwintering so should be able to integrate Butters into a sibling group which would so good for her to be released with a group. Just let me know if you need me.

smccollo
12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
That would be great! Are you sure its not too much trouble? I would love to have her be able to be around others as well, I think I will take you up on your offer. Thank you!!!

mpetys
12-03-2011, 05:21 PM
That would be great! Are you sure its not too much trouble? I would love to have her be able to be around others as well, I think I will take you up on your offer. Thank you!!!

I'll send you a PM!