PDA

View Full Version : Florida Rehab Query

quagmire
11-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Is there licensing permits for rehab/rescue of Squirrels in Florida, since squirrels are a 'no permit necessary animal'?

If so, how do you find out the requirements for permits?

We have a squirrel we rescued and raised successfully. Over the past year we have had several brought to us. We ended up taking them to a vet that treats squirrels.

Not seeking to become a full time rehabber but could take in a couple every now and again or hold them til we could get them to the vet. The vet though is about an hour drive away.

Needing guidance please. We already have about 4 cages and sufficient supplies for food sources. FV powder too.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Jackie in Tampa
11-27-2011, 08:13 AM
pet sqs in florida are legal, no permit required.
rehabbing is a different story however..

to be sub permitted under a licensed rehabber means you can ONLY take sqs/wildlife from said permit holder.
To become licensed is a free test giving by Florida Fish &Wildlife Conservation Commission ..contact their Tallahassee office for locations and dates of testing and study pack..
The study pack is also free. The test is mostly on birds.
There are special requirements of caging size, food prep areas etc.
you will be inspected..
another option .....no test is required if you have 1000 hours of volunteered time with a rehab center or a vet.

There are never enough rehabbers...
florida is heavily populated and most abandoned animals are found yet often are euthanised due to the lack of facilities, funds and helpers...
they need you!:Love_Icon

lol, I sure know alot about it...for someone who is NOT a LR!:crazy
I fly low, under the radar...however there are employees of Fla Wildlife that do visit here and bring me babies...it seems I have made the cut!:)
I ONLY rehab sqs...almost 10 years now.

:poke Squirrel Central is for sale...it comes ready to rehab! :D

I need a barn!:D
a well:D
7 acres of trees:D
a golf cart:D
a sunny spot for veggies to grow:D

Do it!!!!!!:alright.gif

grinn75
11-27-2011, 04:48 PM
pet sqs in florida are legal, no permit required.
rehabbing is a different story however..

to be sub permitted under a licensed rehabber means you can ONLY take sqs/wildlife from said permit holder.
To become licensed is a free test giving by Florida Fish &Wildlife Conservation Commission ..contact their Tallahassee office for locations and dates of testing and study pack..
The study pack is also free. The test is mostly on birds.
There are special requirements of caging size, food prep areas etc.
you will be inspected..
another option .....no test is required if you have 1000 hours of volunteered time with a rehab center or a vet.

There are never enough rehabbers...
florida is heavily populated and most abandoned animals are found yet often are euthanised due to the lack of facilities, funds and helpers...
they need you!:Love_Icon

lol, I sure know alot about it...for someone who is NOT a LR!:crazy
I fly low, under the radar...however there are employees of Fla Wildlife that do visit here and bring me babies...it seems I have made the cut!:)
I ONLY rehab sqs...almost 10 years now.

:poke Squirrel Central is for sale...it comes ready to rehab! :D

I need a barn!:D
a well:D
7 acres of trees:D
a golf cart:D
a sunny spot for veggies to grow:D

Do it!!!!!!:alright.gif

:goodpost I couldn't have said it better.