PDA

View Full Version : Illegal States

lisak37
11-23-2011, 08:43 AM
I was wondering if someone has a listing of states where it is illegal to keep a squirrel. We saved a baby squirrel in the Spring, and I don't think she would do well if released. When we put her cage outside, she hides because it makes her so nervous.

jo_schmoe
11-23-2011, 07:38 PM
I was wondering if someone has a listing of states where it is illegal to keep a squirrel. We saved a baby squirrel in the Spring, and I don't think she would do well if released. When we put her cage outside, she hides because it makes her so nervous.
Don't quote me....but I believe it to be easier to just say the only state I know of where its legal to have a squirrel is Florida.

SammysMom
11-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Sounds right to me Jo! I think they do generally hide at first, but most get over it and their wild nature takes over.:thumbsup

jo_schmoe
11-23-2011, 07:41 PM
How old is she??

MiriamS
11-23-2011, 08:55 PM
I can't remember the specifics of North Carolina laws but I feel certain I saw someone discussing it on the board recently. I would suggest you PM a member named Sissy who is a rehabber and very wonderful, based somewhere in your state. She can likely guide you through anything.

And yes, if you do a soft release in your backyard by putting the squirrels cage outside, she will be cautious and scared for the first few days. That's what is good about a soft release, though, because it gives them a chance to get used to the sounds, smells and temperatures of the outdoors while still being cared for and protected. I'm not saying you should do one thing or another but there are great TSB members in NC that can advise you.

Skul
11-24-2011, 03:20 AM
From what I've seen, most states DNR's have far more important issues to address.
Unless an individual is openly/blatantly flaunting the law, there probably won't be an issue.
A disgruntled neighbor can be a problem, however, one has the right to deny entry for seach.
In other words, don't worry about it, don't advertise the info.
Do the soft release as others have mentioned.

Sissy
11-24-2011, 05:52 AM
My concern is this time of year is not the proper release time. You are going to have to over winter her. Most all the leaves are off the trees and it's turning colder. She won't have time to store up enough food to last her all winter. I have yet to see a "pet" be non releasable. It is natural for them to be nervous in the beginning. Give her 3 days in an outside cage and she will be more comfortable.
You are more than welcome to PM me and I will help you in any way possible.
And yes it is illegal in NC to have a squirrel as a pet. Even if you have a rehabbers license you can not keep it if is non releasable.

Jackie in Tampa
11-24-2011, 06:15 AM
if you need help, Sissy is da bomb!:thumbsup