PDA

View Full Version : Issue with eyes

torokmat
11-20-2011, 12:03 PM
I have this little guy who seems to have some kid of eye disease. The fur around both eyes is non-existent and looks like he doesn't see very well at all. I have a picture, just couldn't figure out how to attach. Anyone know what might be wrong (with the squirrel's eye or why I'm not able to attach a photo)??

torokmat
11-21-2011, 03:25 PM
I have this little guy who seems to have some kid of eye disease. The fur around both eyes is non-existent and looks like he doesn't see very well at all. I have a picture, just couldn't figure out how to attach. Anyone know what might be wrong (with the squirrel's eye or why I'm not able to attach a photo)??

Ok, here's the picture:

CritterMom
11-21-2011, 03:34 PM
I cannot see much in that pic - if you can downsize and sharpen it up... But mange often starts showing up in the skin on the face and ears and that may be what this is. Can you get a better pic?

Nancy in New York
11-21-2011, 03:52 PM
This is the best I could do:
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/TSB%20photos/Squirrel20Eye20Issues.jpg

island rehabber
11-21-2011, 04:19 PM
It sure looks like mange to me.... are you able to get ivermectin from a vet?

torokmat
11-23-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm sure I could - if not a vet, from a local farm and fleet store.

I've read conflicting reviews on invermectin - in particular to dosage. With the invermectin paste, the size (full or half size?) of a single grain rice (cooked or cooked??) once every 7 days or so for three weeks? If not treated, can this be fatal to the squirrel?

Jackie in Tampa
11-23-2011, 10:13 AM
please can we have another pic?
:thinking concerned with that ...
the ears are not affected...fur looks good
the area looks hot with fever...

astra
11-23-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm sure I could - if not a vet, from a local farm and fleet store.

I've read conflicting reviews on invermectin - in particular to dosage. With the invermectin paste, the size (full or half size?) of a single grain rice (cooked or cooked??) once every 7 days or so for three weeks? If not treated, can this be fatal to the squirrel?
generally, the horse paste ivermectin dose is the size of an uncooked rice grain.
Some ppl suggest squeezing the entire tube out into a plastic container and mixing it because, sometimes, it separates in the tube.
Yes, once a week for three weeks.

As for if it is not treated:

mange usually results from the weakened immune system due to much stress (e.g., lack of food, predators, high competition in the area etc).
It's often suggested to strengthen their immune system by providing food, and reducing stressors. Although, reducing stressors in the wild is nearly impossible as we do not really know what their wild lives are like and we have no control over their environment.

So, if the squirrel immune system gets stronger, it can recover from mange on her own.

However, if its immune system reached a point where it cannot recover on its own, yes, mange can be fatal.
Not only because the squirrel will lose all its fur and simply freeze in this winter, but also because mange is a stressor in itself, it further stresses out her system, weakening it and making the squirrel even more susceptible to other illnesses; it also causes anemia which can be deadly in itself in not treated.

So, yes, if it's not treated and the squirrel does not recover on its own, it can be fatal. Especially, with winter ahead.

Jackie in Tampa
11-23-2011, 10:23 AM
kk, it looks like mange to astra too...
I do have cheapy monitor...:peace
if they say so, do it!

astra
11-23-2011, 06:44 PM
kk, it looks like mange to astra too...
I do have cheapy monitor...:peace
if they say so, do it!

Jackie, I am not 100% sure - just one photo and it's hard to tell, would be great if there were views of other side of his head
(one of the most typical mange patterns is bilateral: if it's eyes, it's usually around both eyes, especially, if as advanced as it looks in this pic; if it starts on shoulders, then, it kind of wraps around both shoulders, like a vest... - so it would be helpful to see what his other side looks like and what his body looks like, too)

I was sharing information about mange in general.

As for this particular fuzzer I am not sure if it is mange... kind of looks like it, but again, if it as progressed as it looks around this eye, it should be appearing on other body parts and bilaterally (e.g., around both eyes, ears, shoulders):thinking

torokmat
12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Sorry about the picture - I'll try to get a better one. I tried the Ivermectin but the more I think about it, I'm not sure it's mange.

She seems to struggle with her sight, and the hair loss was isolated to the area just around either eye, didn't spread beyond. I haven't seen her myself, but my father in law insists that she has to feel her way around to get around. He feeds her daily and she seems healthy otherwise, but I gotta imagine a blind squirrel would have a tough time surviving.

Here's what he's told me about her condition:

Started out with the hair gone around just her eyes like the photo - red and irritated. He said it looked almost like she had scabs form over either eyes that slowly (within a couple weeks) glossed over (looked cloudy is how he described it). So the scabbing looks as if it's gone and the hair has grown back, but she noticeably struggles with her vision. Thoughts? Suggestions?

astra
12-13-2011, 06:43 PM
do not know what this might be... complications from mange?... some kind of infection? inflammation?...
the only thing is if she is getting blind or if her eyesight is impaired that she has to feel her way around, I am afraid, she is moving into a NR category... she won't survive in the wild blind...

sometimes, eye sight improves in captive squirrels with good nutrition, but not significantly...

when an outside squirrel becomes impaired to the point where its survival in the wild becomes unlikely, what some people here have done is trapped the squirrel and kept it inside as a NR

... unless there is a way to figure out what's ailing this one and how to medicate it, I can't think of anything else...:dono :thinking

torokmat
12-13-2011, 06:47 PM
What's an "NR"?

mpetys
12-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Non Releasable. It would be a kind thing to do if she has lost her vision. Otherwise, her fate outside is not good. Is it possible that she could be trapped and rought inside? Perhaps to see if a steady good diet can help improve her immune system? Perhaps permanently if it is determined this is a permanent disability? Everyone here can help with suitable housing, diet etc.

astra
12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Non Releasable. It would be a kind thing to do if she has lost her vision. Otherwise, her fate outside is not good. Is it possible that she could be trapped and rought inside? Perhaps to see if a steady good diet can help improve her immune system? Perhaps permanently if it is determined this is a permanent disability? Everyone here can help with suitable housing, diet etc.
yes, several people have done it here. So, you will get help with ideas about what cage to get/build, toys, diet, bonding etc.
Of course, it will take some time for her to get used to, but she will.
Disabled squirrels know their limitations and sense when they are being helped, and seem to accept their new life inside when they realize the advantages and safety...

Jackie in Tampa
12-14-2011, 04:53 AM
thinking roundworms...