PDA

View Full Version : My Little Guy

MyLittleBlessing
11-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Ashley, and my little guy is 4 months old. I found him after a hurricane. Actually, I found 3 dead baby squirrels outside and when I was putting them into a box to bury them I heard little guy fall from the tree. He was shaking, and we just knew he was going to die. When he fell from the tree he was 3 weeks old. We think his mother died during the hurricane, because we tried to get her to get him again. Nothing worked.
We contacted a rehabber, but she was full with the hurricane squirrels and told me what to do. After about a week the rehabber caught herself up with everything, and could see our little guy. He had injured his foot pretty badly from the fall. She didn't think he could ever heal from it, but it didn't need surgery because he would be fine. She told me that releasing him might be a bad idea, because of his foot. He has a slight limp and cannot jump very far (that does not stop him though, he loves to run around and jump)

Is it ok to keep him as a pet? She suggested it, but she also said release might work. He's my little guy, and I love him to death. But, would it be wrong of me to not attempt a release?

P.S. His name is little guy, because that's all we called him when he was a baby. We didn't think he'd live for long, and didn't want to get attached by naming him. Wellllllll, he heard little guy so much it stuck and now he comes to it.

astra
11-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi, Ashley,

Welcome, once again.:Welcome

If you your Little Guy has an injured foot, is limping and cannot jump well - yes, most likely, he will be a NR.
Again, some rehabbers, esp. some "hard-core" rehabbers, tend to release even those that had better be not released...
So, ultimately, it will be your decision because you are his care taker.

But most of the time, squirrels who are physically handicapped in any way, should not be released. If your Little Guy cannot jump well, he will not do well in the wild.
Some people tend to idealize "the wild" and "nature", but for a handicapped squirrel the wild and the trees do not become a source of joy and freedom, but the source of constant stress and even trauma.
Not only handicapped squirrels become easy preys, they can also become the target of bullying by more dominant squirrels. Constant pressure and stress weaken their immune system and they become susceptible to illnesses.

Squirrels do not make good pets, but if you accept your Little Guy on his terms, he will become a wonderful companion and having him as your "owner" will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life.

Things to be aware of and prepared for:) :

1. Squirrels tend to be a one-person animals: as they grow up, they become attached to one person, the rest of the family are either just tolerated, or become actively disliked ;-) (and often bitten;-)).
However, with time, squirrels tend to mellow down and come to accept the rest of the family.
All strangers and friends and such are treated like the "rest of the family".
For the same reason, squirrels, in most cases, are not suitable for children.

2. Squirrels have very, very specific nutritional requirements.
If those requirements are not met, they become very ill, especially, with MBD - this disease can cripple them and even kill.
In order to meet those requirements they should follow a very specific diet: good rodent blocks daily + good green veggies + safe wild foods +only as treats: a piece of fruit and a nut or two, not more.

3. They need constant stimulation: exercise, games, toys etc etc.
For your Little Guy especially since he will be a singleton.
They get easily bored, and can get depressed.

4. He will need some free run time, so one room should be 100% squirrel-proof for that.

5. Most of the time, they cannot be "potty-trained", and, most of the time, they will train you:) , not the other way around. But you will enjoy every minute of it.

If you have other pets, like dogs and cats, keep them away from him. As sweet as they might be, they are predators and there have been a lot of tragic accidents. Keep them separated.

Keep house plants out of his room - most of them are poisonous for squirrels, again - tragic accidents happen.

If you are unsure about a food, plant, tree, branch etc etc etc - please ask here first, as again - tragic accidents happened when people unknowingly would give something poisonous.

Keep your toilet bowl always covered. And teach your family members the same (put signs if needed - to prevent accidents).

6. Most importantly - squirrels are amazing, wonderful, magical beings and you can consider yourself truly blessed to have one of them as your friend and companion.

Since he might become a NR, handle him much and love on him. Not only because baby squirrels need that, but also so that he can become as tame and as used to you, as possible.

Please feel free to ask questions.

Scooterzmom
11-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi, Ashley,

Welcome, once again.:Welcome

If you your Little Guy has an injured foot, is limping and cannot jump well - yes, most likely, he will be a NR.
Again, some rehabbers, esp. some "hard-core" rehabbers, tend to release even those that had better be not released...
So, ultimately, it will be your decision because you are his care taker.

But most of the time, squirrels who are physically handicapped in any way, should not be released. If your Little Guy cannot jump well, he will not do well in the wild.
Some people tend to idealize "the wild" and "nature", but for a handicapped squirrel the wild and the trees do not become a source of joy and freedom, but the source of constant stress and even trauma.
Not only handicapped squirrels become easy preys, they can also become the target of bullying by more dominant squirrels. Constant pressure and stress weaken their immune system and they become susceptible to illnesses.

Squirrels do not make good pets, but if you accept your Little Guy on his terms, he will become a wonderful companion and having him as your "owner" will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life.

Things to be aware of and prepared for:) :

1. Squirrels tend to be a one-person animals: as they grow up, they become attached to one person, the rest of the family are either just tolerated, or become actively disliked ;-) (and often bitten;-)).
However, with time, squirrels tend to mellow down and come to accept the rest of the family.
All strangers and friends and such are treated like the "rest of the family".
For the same reason, squirrels, in most cases, are not suitable for children.

2. Squirrels have very, very specific nutritional requirements.
If those requirements are not met, they become very ill, especially, with MBD - this disease can cripple them and even kill.
In order to meet those requirements they should follow a very specific diet: good rodent blocks daily + good green veggies + safe wild foods +only as treats: a piece of fruit and a nut or two, not more.

3. They need constant stimulation: exercise, games, toys etc etc.
For your Little Guy especially since he will be a singleton.
They get easily bored, and can get depressed.

4. He will need some free run time, so one room should be 100% squirrel-proof for that.

5. Most of the time, they cannot be "potty-trained", and, most of the time, they will train you:) , not the other way around. But you will enjoy every minute of it.

If you have other pets, like dogs and cats, keep them away from him. As sweet as they might be, they are predators and there have been a lot of tragic accidents. Keep them separated.

Keep house plants out of his room - most of them are poisonous for squirrels, again - tragic accidents happen.

If you are unsure about a food, plant, tree, branch etc etc etc - please ask here first, as again - tragic accidents happened when people unknowingly would give something poisonous.

Keep your toilet bowl always covered. And teach your family members the same (put signs if needed - to prevent accidents).

6. Most importantly - squirrels are amazing, wonderful, magical beings and you can consider yourself truly blessed to have one of them as your friend and companion.

Since he might become a NR, handle him much and love on him. Not only because baby squirrels need that, but also so that he can become as tame and as used to you, as possible.

Please feel free to ask questions.

:thumbsup :goodpost